What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - This morning - Saga Age of the Crusades
2) What armies were confronted? - Spanish v Saracen
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? -  Two
6) What went well? - The game ran smoothly with little reference to the rulebook.
7) What could have been improved? - I made the mistake of combining two hearth guard units and thus losing a Saga dice. I would have been better splitting my bow unit in two to avoid that. Otherwise the game played well and, although I took massive losses from the Spanish crossbows, I did wipe out two Spanish units and ended losing by only one point.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Norm

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKC IV
2) What armies were confronted? - Canadian v German
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - still feeling my way through it
5) How many players were in the game? -  solo
6) What went well? - The fact that whether you are using tank, infantry or artillery fire, the processes are the same, making play much slicker.
7) What could have been improved? - I should have put Commanding Officers in the O-o-B really, I should have downloaded the play aid sheets at the start of the game... rather than at the end!

FierceKitty

08 June 2019, 10:22:29 AM #212 Last Edit: 08 June 2019, 10:24:59 AM by FierceKitty
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - IACTA ALEA EST.
2) What armies were confronted? - Imperial Romans vs Sassanids
5) How many players were in the game? -  Two
6) What went well? - Honestly, Fanny Adams! OK, artillery killed their king, but it was one success among half a dozen failures.
7) What could have been improved? - Well, I blocked the evasion of one of my few light cavalry units, got them ridden down, and then had the routers disorder the legion behind them, who were caught in the follow-up. In retrospect, that was careless, and against these cavalry-strong enemies you can't afford that.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sunjester

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Sharp Practice
2) What armies were confronted? - Billy Yank vs Johnny Reb
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes for me, Jim has played quite a lot
6) What went well? - The game ran reasonably well with minimal need to consult the rulebook, i picked it up quickly as the mechanisms are a mix if Chain of Command and I Ain't Bin Shot Mum, both of which I am familiar with.
7) What could have been improved? - I made the mistake of not taking shock off units quickly enough. They became difficult to move and allowed his skirmishers to keep out of my fire arc whilst picking me off.

FierceKitty

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 June 2019, 10:22:29 AM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - IACTA ALEA EST.
2) What armies were confronted? - Imperial Romans vs Sassanids
6) What went well? - Honestly, Fanny Adams! OK, artillery killed their king, but it was one success among half a dozen failures.
7) What could have been improved? - Well, I blocked the evasion of one of my few light cavalry units, got them ridden down, and then had the routers disorder the legion behind them, who were caught in the follow-up. In retrospect, that was careless, and against these cavalry-strong enemies you can't afford that.

Same again, except I nearly won this time. Phew - I see why the Romans had trouble with these lads in reality.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Shecky

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Western Han vs. Gorguryeo Korean
5) How many players were in the game? -  Four
6) What went well? - We're getting more people playing the game and building armies.
7) What could have been improved? - as always, die rolling.

Pictures can be found on my web site.
https://gamingreference.blogspot.com/2019/06/they-couldnt-hit-broadside-of-barn.html

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Saga Age of the Crusades
2) What armies were confronted? - Spanish v Saracen
6) What went well? - The game ran smoothly with little reference to the rulebook.
7) What could have been improved? - This time I kept the Hearthguard units separate and instead split the 12 man archer unit into two sixes. Initially successful, but eventually overwhelmed by the three Spanish warrior units. Both warlords died.

mmcv

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Pike and Shotte
2) What armies were confronted? - James vs William at the Boyne
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Mostly
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
6) What went well? - Game played out well despite teaching and learning as I went. Played out my own scenario that worked surprisingly well.
7) What could have been improved? - messed up a few rules, mostly minor stuff but one at the end lost me the game :( awh well, was a fun game with a bit if back and forth without being totally one sided.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18744

Leman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - yesterday - Saga Age of the Crusades
2) What armies were confronted? - Spanish v Moors
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Sort of
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - First time with the new battle boards
6) What went well? - I started to use the early moves to build advantages on my battle board.
7) What could have been improved? - We got confused about shooting and melee. Made the mistake of not letting the defender fight back in melee, which totally ruined the plan I had for using my light cavalry. Got round the back of some Spanish warriors, lobbed my javelins and made to ride off. In his move my opponent attacked me and wiped me out without me replying, which could have made a big difference. Meanwhile my Black Guard had wandered off round the enemy flank and didn't do anything until move 6. Lessons learned (I think) - Get the Black Guard in early. Spend no more than two turns building up the battle board. Shoot whenever possible, as levies will get destroyed. Not sure that playing troops historically actually works that well - didn't seem to do my javelin armed cavalry much good. First they become very vulnerable when mounted (yet the Crusades supplement states that this is what Moorish armies relied on) and second their firepower with javelins is very limited being only 1 die per 2 figures. In order to make an attack with javelins you need 1 Saga die to activate to ride into range, 1 Saga die to lob your javelins (only 4D6 if the full 8 figures are there), 1 Saga die to then withdraw. Should you wish to increase the number of attack dice then more Saga dice need to come from the combat bonus area of the board. Oh, and you will also have picked up two fatigues for this manoeuvre. Considering this is supposed to be the top tactic of the Moors it means the rest of the war band is mostly doing nothing. With only 6 turns in a game using this tactic more than once means little else is going on. Furthermore (as happened to me) the Spanish have a response on their battle board which can cancel an activation of the enemy, so after careful planning my Moors were unable to throw their pitifully small number of javelins anyway. An interesting mental exercise but I'm not sure it is representing history.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bloody Big Battles
2) What armies were confronted? - French vs Prussian, Wavre 1815
6) What went well? - Considering I hadn't played these rules in about 2 years, it all came back very quickly. Also the Prussian guns helped stave off two turns of French assaults on one of the villages, allowing the Prussians to hold on until the last turn.
7) What could have been improved? - Not much really, as both sides had their fair share of high and low die rolls.

Next week a 'what if?' follow up with the French pursuing the Prussians, not realising Napoleon had been defeated and therefore suddenly coming up against some Allied units. Looking forward to it.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Steve J on 20 June 2019, 05:47:12 AM
2) What armies were confronted? - French vs Prussian, Wavre 1815

Thanks, Steve. Keen to see how Dave designed the scenario for this battle, as it is a challenging one to recreate.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Steve J

Dave used the Volley & Bayonet book by Chadwick as a guide IIRC. We played on a 4' x 4' table, so had to miss off of the battlefield and probably bathtubbed some units for an evenings gaming. A sort of AAR will follow once I rested up after a rather hectic week on the work front.

mmcv

2) What armies were confronted? - Union vs Confederate, Gettysburg
6) What went well? - Other player wasn't a war gamer but picked up the rules quickly enough and was able to focus on the tactics of the battle rather than worrying about the rules.
7) What could have been improved? - Not a lot, Confederate forces had a few bad rolls while Union did well on day 1 that stalled the rebel advance. But it balanced out on the second half of the game with some superb assaults from the Confederate veterans.

Will have to reread the rules and see what, if anything, I got wrong, but it flowed pretty smoothly.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCIV
2) What armies were confronted? - Italians vs Greeks 1940
6) What went well? - The Italian shooting and command rolls, with the scenario working out quite well.
7) What could have been improved? - The Greek shooting.

Mark Fry kindly came over for a game, which we both enjoyed and will form the start of a mini-campaign. We also had a good chat before and after the game, which was nice and look forward to meeting up again soon.