Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Saga Crescent and Cross
2) What armies were confronted? - Crusaders v Moors
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - reasonably
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - third game
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? - managed both rules and Saga dice reasonably well
7) What could have been improved? - Still totally unable to predict what my opponent might do or how I might react. Totally destroyed. I don't actually think I like playing games. I do enjoy painting, sorting out armies, putting them out on a nicely designed table - and then the fun stops.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mmcv

Quote from: Leman on 22 May 2019, 01:21:10 PM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Saga Crescent and Cross
2) What armies were confronted? - Crusaders v Moors
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - reasonably
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - third game
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? - managed both rules and Saga dice reasonably well
7) What could have been improved? - Still totally unable to predict what my opponent might do or how I might react. Totally destroyed. I don't actually think I like playing games. I do enjoy painting, sorting out armies, putting them out on a nicely designed table - and then the fun stops.

Do you have fun when you win though?

Leman

Can't remember when I last won. Finding I much prefer solo games these days, but keep going to the club for the social aspect.

Cavillarius

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? -
Age of Hannibal from littlewars.tv

2) What armies were confronted? -
Romans vs Celts. 6mm, but these rules are equally suited for 10mm.

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -
Yes. It is the easiest I ever saw! Moreover, it comes with quickreference sheets.

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -
Second time

5) How many players were in the game? -
Two

6) What went well? -
Most of it, but we particularly loved the terrainbuilding at the beginning if the game. It basically simulates the maneuvering for the best field of battle. It is almost a minigame in itself.   The morale clock is also great. By pestering the roman invaders with my skirmishers and chariots, I managed to break down their morale to the extent that they froze, and I won. Seems highly realistic to me.

7) What could have been improved? -
Maybe add a category of 'slingers'. They're currently either skirmishers or archers.

We will keep on playing this. It is a ruleset for ancients, and my ancients are all 6mm, but as soon as i can persuade some club members with 10mm ancients to try it, i'll post a batrep.

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BKCIV
2) What armies were confronted? - Axis vs British, Sicily 1943
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? - The Fallschirmjager mortar fire which was simply devastating.
7) What could have been improved? - Not much.

The game was the natural end to our mini-campaign, which has been fun. AAR to follow.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were confronted? - Indians vs Macedonians again
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No.
6) What went well? - I had most troops where they were needed. The invaders paid for us before their victory.
7) What could have been improved? - Rain crippled my archery, and once bogged down a chariot unit whose support would have been useful. The Macedonians are a lot easier for their leader to predict and control, with disciplined command and movement effects. Freakish rolls meant that the royal elephants caught the companions , but only pushed them back, without destroying them.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Shecky

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Western Han (me) vs. Mongol (Lance)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes, except one thing. (See below)
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - nope but it was Lance's 2nd time. It was my first time to use my newly painted Han Chinese army.
5) How many players were in the game? - 2. Well 3 actually.  To be honest, 4. It's complicated. We're trying to teach the game to more people.
6) What went well? - I overran the Mongol Camp
7) What could have been improved? - the Mongols overran my camp.

We didn't do the camp fights correctly but as I say, we were consistent in our inconsistencies.

Here are pictures and a write up of the game:
https://gamingreference.blogspot.com/2019/05/a-bad-day-to-go-camping-western-han-vs.html

Westmarcher

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussia vs. Austria
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no, but it was the first time for my opponent.
5) How many players were in the game? - myself, as the defending Austrians, and our own Steve Holmes, as the attacking Prussians.
6) What went well? - Almost everything went smoothly, the game itself being played at a relaxed pace and the few rule queries we had, were quickly resolved.  We even had time for a cuppa and good chat, half way through. A good introduction to the Rules for Steve - plus, he won.
7) What could have been improved? - Not a lot really because the game moved along so well.  Obviously, one looks back and analyses the 'what-ifs.'  My only regret was not taking photographs to post on (and include a link to) the Honours of War Forum.

The scenario was, "Take the High Ground."  Steve's Prussians had to take two areas of high ground held by my Austrians besieging a nearby town. As the outnumbered defender, I considered that my choices were to either allocate one of my two infantry brigades to defend each area of high ground or concentrate my two brigades to defend one area only, and leave the Grenzers defending the hill-top church yard to their fate. I chose the former and, because I had no cavalry to counter Steve's cavalry, ordered my best troops, my Grenadier brigade, to march across the plain to the help of the isolated Grenzers - at which point, I was hopeful that the combined force might then have been in a position to fall on the flank of the main Prussian assault force. As it turned out, the Prussian cavalry and it's supporting light infantry were more bark than bite, managing only one charge which one of my Grenzer battalions easily evaded, but which did a great job in screening the main Prussian attack. In retrospect, my Grenadiers would have been better suited defending the other area of high ground where, although outnumbered two to one, their superior fighting ability would have coped better with the final musketry fire fight that finally decided the issue in the Prussians' favour.

An enjoyable game, nevertheless, and good company on a wet, West of Scotland afternoon. Well done, Steve!  =D>
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

:D
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Senguko Samurai vs Frisuan🐄
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - utterly
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - erm.. nope!
6) What went well? - catching a pike block in the flank, hitting a unit with elite cavalry, taking Paul's camp in turn 3.
7) What could have been improved? - not getting beaten/enveloped/stomped on.

Lost 8-15, cracking game of elite vs hordes, too many hordes!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Westmarcher on 29 May 2019, 08:25:03 PM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussia vs. Austria
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no, but it was the first time for my opponent.
5) How many players were in the game? - myself, as the defending Austrians, and our own Steve Holmes, as the attacking Prussians.
6) What went well? - Almost everything went smoothly, the game itself being played at a relaxed pace and the few rule queries we had, were quickly resolved.  We even had time for a cuppa and good chat, half way through. A good introduction to the Rules for Steve - plus, he won.
7) What could have been improved? - Not a lot really because the game moved along so well.  Obviously, one looks back and analyses the 'what-ifs.'  My only regret was not taking photographs to post on (and include a link to) the Honours of War Forum.

The scenario was, "Take the High Ground."  Steve's Prussians had to take two areas of high ground held by my Austrians besieging a nearby town. As the outnumbered defender, I considered that my choices were to either allocate one of my two infantry brigades to defend each area of high ground or concentrate my two brigades to defend one area only, and leave the Grenzers defending the hill-top church yard to their fate. I chose the former and, because I had no cavalry to counter Steve's cavalry, ordered my best troops, my Grenadier brigade, to march across the plain to the help of the isolated Grenzers - at which point, I was hopeful that the combined force might then have been in a position to fall on the flank of the main Prussian assault force. As it turned out, the Prussian cavalry and it's supporting light infantry were more bark than bite, managing only one charge which one of my Grenzer battalions easily evaded, but which did a great job in screening the main Prussian attack. In retrospect, my Grenadiers would have been better suited defending the other area of high ground where, although outnumbered two to one, their superior fighting ability would have coped better with the final musketry fire fight that finally decided the issue in the Prussians' favour.

An enjoyable game, nevertheless, and good company on a wet, West of Scotland afternoon. Well done, Steve!  =D>

Thanks, and yet a couple of different die rolls here and there and it could all have been so different.

Great rules which moved along at a fair rate.
As a newcomer I had little idea how quickly or slowly units would wear down under fire, so it was a relief when my main attack broke through.
In a low cavalry scenario, artillery proved a real winner.

I'm feeling a lot more conversant with the rules after a single outing.
I think I'll need more practice before I'm able to contain those nippy little light battalions.

Thanks for hosting an excellent scenario.
And thanks to all the & years war advocates on this forum who contributed to my conversion.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were confronted? - Persians vs Macedonians
6) What went well? - Some poor troops put up a determined fight, which may have kept us in the game long enough to win. If an outnumbered enemy with fewer cavalry leaves it to you to determine where the big horse attack happens, you've got a major advantage.
7) What could have been improved? - Some of my foreign troops refused to cooperate, and I had to be on standby lest they change sides. Others took a while to commit to the Persian cause.

Leman

Westmarcher

Thanks, Andy. I've now added the BatRep to the Honours of War Forum. As I mentioned, I forgot to take photos. I had even combed my hair. D'oh! But I did attach 3 pre-game photos which I had e-mailed to Steve in advance of the game to give him a fair chance to make his plan.

Thanks again for the game, Steve. Glad you enjoyed your first outing to the Seven Years War.

Incidentally, folks, the game was played on a 3 feet x 3 feet table using Pendraken figures. No prolonged standing and bending over table tennis size tables. Great!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

An addendum re scales:

Interestingly HoW has been written to cope with various scales as the author, although a committed 28mm gamer, has had the foresight to make it easy for those who use other scales to play. The website has downloadable playsheets for 28mm, 20mm, 15mm, 10mm and 6mm. The normal range of a musket is equal to infantry unit frontage in the rules, and, as written for 28mm figures, these are both 200mm. The scenarios at the back of the book have also been drawn to this scale and fit a normal 6'x4' table (or thereabouts). However, using 10mm armies I have based up on 25mm squares, with four to a unit (Some 10mm players prefer 5 x 20mm square bases) means that the unit frontage, and musket range, is 100mm. This is the scale used for the 15mm play sheet. In effect it means that the scenario sizes can be halved for 10mm figures, hence Westie's  use of a small table.

A recent game of mine on a compact table, which itself is on a 6x4 table.

FierceKitty

03 June 2019, 03:44:50 AM #209 Last Edit: 03 June 2019, 03:47:12 AM by FierceKitty
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - A Hundred Circling Camps
2) What armies were confronted? - Dixies and Dam' Yankees
6) What went well? - I was getting thumped by the southern cavalry when my off-table flank march arrived; they were met by an identical unit of rebel horse, and should have got bogged down all game; instead of which, I could roll only sixes. I did very well with the artillery duels as well; this opponent is not good at getting his guns where they're needed. Killed General Lee early on.
7) What could have been improved? - We both had ships, but the first shot of the battle disabled mine, and it drifted off uselessly. Virginia went on to make a nuisance of itself on my left flank until the rebel retreat. Grant and Burnside were both casualties, though the future president recovered after the battle.