Leman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Saga Crescent and Cross
2) What armies were confronted? - Crusaders v Saracens
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - reasonably
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - second game
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? - managed both rules and Saga dice reasonably well
7) What could have been improved? - rolled an awful lot of 1s and 2s in combat

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Walter Schnaffs
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussian v French Imperial
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - Quick setup owing to the new WS cards available to download from the Peter Pig site. Game flowed quickly and smoothly.
7) What could have been improved? - The cards gave me an entirely infantry army, with only two guns, one mitrailleuse and one unit of chasseurs, whereas the Prussians pulled a shed load of artillery and a much more balanced army. The draw also meant I was the attacker. I gave it a go and did succeed in capturing three of the four objectives, but at a terrible loss of complete units which gave my opponent an overwhelming victory. He also had and excess of points left, many of which were added to his corps artillery bombardment, which was remarkably successful.

d_Guy

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Peter Pig's Hammerin' Iron
2) What armies were confronted? - USA V CSA  naval
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - was learning but fairly easy.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes, first time.
5) How many players were in the game? - 6 (with 1 or 2 more tag-teaming in)
6) What went well? - for the CSA (my side) virtually nothing. The current was against us and when I needed it to help in reversing direction it up and quit. Our gunnery was abysmal. Our shore battery gunners got out picnic lunches and watched. The enemy shallow draft attack squadron shot through our in-water static defenses like they weren't there. The current made their fast movers even faster. Spar torpedos and fire rafts were a pain in the butt.
7) What could have been improved? - all the above for our side. It was however a very fast moving, very fun game.

Pics and brief AAR are here:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2019/05/11/agy-5-6-19-hammerin-iron/
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Attractive models of the least attractive ships ever to float!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

I had trouble with the floating bit. It's true, some make a Rube Goldberg device look sleek and stylish.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

Quote from: d_Guy on 12 May 2019, 04:54:13 AM
I had trouble with the floating bit. It's true, some make a Rube Goldberg or Heath Robinson device look sleek and stylish.

A small addition for our English members ;)

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Ball and Bayonette
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussians and Austrians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, but I wish Lee would read the rules herself.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - It was not.
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? - Daun tried to lead a cuirassier charge against a Prussian battery. The Bayreuth dragoons caught a unit of pesky hussars and sent them packing. On the whole the Prussian foot earned their beer.
7) What could have been improved?  Big games should start before lunchtime.

Leman

pierre the shy

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - If the Lord Spares Us
2) What armies were confronted? - BEF vs Germans France 1914
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very - even remembered to add all the units cards in the turn that they appeared  :)
5) How many players were in the game? - 4
6) What went well? - I was actually on the winning side of a scenario that I designed  :o :P The first turn of the cards on the second night we played bought the 2nd Battalion of the 81st German Infantry Regiment into play so I decided to fire my Maxim 08 stand first up at short range I got to roll 5d6  and rolled 5 6's  :o :o....end of one complete British dismounted cavalry squadron...that caused a bit of a reaction as normally my dice rolls can be classed as average at best. Here's a picture to show the situation with the dice where the unfortunate squadron was situated.

7) What could have been improved? Wording in the British scenario briefing was evidently a bit confusing.

I based my fictional scenario on the famous action by the 4th Guards Brigade at Villers Cotterets on 1 Sept 1914. The Germans had two Infantry Regiments plus and attached Jager battalion and some artillery. The orders were to advance through largely wooded terrain and exit off the far side of the table. The British had 3 battalions of infantry plus some aritillery initially with two dismounted cavalry regiments coming on as reinforcements. The fighting in the wood was very bloody with three British and two German units being largely destroyed, but eventually the German numbers told and we were able to move round the British right flank and would have been able to exit two battalions.

The scenario was well received by all the players and overall worked well.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

An intriguing, if bloody, scenario with both sides having to work hard :-\
It gave us two evenings of very enjoyable gaming :) :)

We were all shocked when Pierre the Shy rolled that well, usually he doesn't get that many sixes in an evenings gaming ;D

mmcv

Having just finished a podcast series on the war to (not) end all wars this looks very interesting!

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BKCIV
2) What armies were confronted? - Italians vs British, Sicily 1943
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Pretty much
6) What went well? - The British getting 5 command rolls in a row!
7) What could have been improved? - Both sides command rolls which were pretty poor throughout, but especially the Italians early on.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were confronted? - Scythians vs Macedonians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No.
6) What went well? - Skirmished the Companions into disorder, then charged and routed them; some serious flank attacks in support of the noble cavalry. Bad European morale when Alexander routed off the field. Very open battlefield suited my army.
7) What could have been improved? Sarmatian allies got too close to enemy line and were roughly handled by Hypaspists; Dahae nobles attacked in the expectation that the Massagetae would be at their side, but were let down and wiped out by two-pronged Macedonian counter-attack.

FierceKitty

22 May 2019, 12:48:10 PM #194 Last Edit: 22 May 2019, 01:24:22 PM by FierceKitty
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were confronted? - Indians vs Macedonians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No.
6) What went well? -Concentrated archery in the centre, under personal supervision of Porus (elephants can support shoot overhead) routed two pike phalanxes, and when they rallied and returned, they got walloped even worse in melee. The Argyraspids, usually very reliable, caught but failed to damage a chariot unit. An early ambush routed the Cretan mercenaries before being carved up by the counter-attack.
7) What could have been improved? - I lost a unit of cavalry when they got over-excited and charged a pike unit; the others, and some of my chariots, never got across the river, where I'd had them in case a small force tried to get at my camp. There should have been a good pincer movement at one stage, but control broke down in the other direction and my intended flank attack missed its chance. A unit of elephants panicked while withdrawing from a threatening attack, routed, and necessitated a fatal morale check.
  From the invaders' point of view, a little exploitation of synaspismos (Hellenistic testudo, more or less) when under fire could make a big difference!