What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Quote from: Westmarcher on 22 April 2019, 10:07:49 AM
That is a fab photograph of the table - shows off the sheer size and extent of the work you put in. The photo's also great in illustrating how absorbed everyone was in the game.  :-bd 

I was preparing to take some photos at the end of the turn and looked up and saw that shot
As you say it captured how absorbed everyone was as the two players at the far end of the table fought out the last combat of the turn

This is one of the real strengths of FK&P a simple yet tense combat system that links very clearly to Victory points making every combat important to everyone playing
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Quote from: paulr on 22 April 2019, 11:25:59 AM
I was preparing to take some photos at the end of the turn and looked up and saw that shot
As you say it captured how absorbed everyone was as the two players at the far end of the table fought out the last combat of the turn

This is one of the real strengths of FK&P a simple yet tense combat system that links very clearly to Victory points making every combat important to everyone playing

Wow!  A great photo showing that all the trouble you took in preparing the terrain paid off.   Inspiring!   Really looking forward to the play reports.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr

It also shows that all the trouble you & Simon took in preparing the rules paid off :) :D

I have played in a lot of multiplayer games and these definitely had the most player engagement in other parts of the battlefield due to the tangible impact on victory points

paulr

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - White Man's Burden
2) What armies were confronted? - Victorians and Mahdists
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - But yes, my old.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Far from it
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? Steady and effective shooting by imperial foot; cavalry charges were damaging but didn't get carried away.
7) What could have been improved? Those Fuzzy-Wuzzies move fast. They were streaming over a ridge I was hoping to grab before I got anywhere near it. Must remember how quickly they move; I was indebted to the event for my aquittal.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCIV.
2) What armies were confronted? - SCW Nationalists vs Republicans.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Sort of as it's a development of BCKII, with good bits from BKCI and CWC.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two.
6) What went well? - Pretty much everything and anything the Nationalists did.
7) What could have been improved? - Pretty much everything and anything the Republicans did, again :(. Bascially I got my arse kicked! Also we couldn't figure out the Recce command bonus, so simply reverted to BKCII.

Orcs

Quote from: Westmarcher on 22 April 2019, 10:10:36 AM
Has anyone ever wondered how many missed torpedoes are lying on the sea bottoms throughout the world?  :-

Not really, but I believe the correct answer is lots :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

ronan

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? -
5 men at Kursk ( I could play today, but received the new BKC IV rules yesterday and did not had time to read them ;) )  I wanted to test "5 men".

2) What armies were confronted? -
  Small squads, russians vs. germans in the last days of the war.

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -
  Yes. The quick scenario is easy to play. I only had to check twice in the rules.

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -
  Yes

5) How many players were in the game? -
  Two, first game for both of us.

6) What went well? -
  The game ! ;)  Our patrols met and fight. My russians took the first casualties, but then my opponent took too much risks  :D

7) What could have been improved? -
  My map and terrains !  ( I'm in a new house and did not find all my  stuff   :-[   ;)  )

I like these rules and will give them another try ( while reading BKC 4 in the same time  ;D )

FierceKitty

2) What armies were confronted? - Victorians and Mahdists
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - I did.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -nope
6) What went well? Steady and effective shooting by imperial foot; cavalry charges were damaging but didn't get carried away; good positioning. Ammunition well conserved..
7) What could have been improved? Not much this time. Luck smiled on me.

Last Hussar

Quote from: Westmarcher on 22 April 2019, 10:10:36 AM
Has anyone ever wondered how many missed torpedoes are lying on the sea bottoms throughout the world?  :-

How much iron/steel wasted in cannonballs and shells rusting away.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BKCIV
2) What armies were confronted? - Italians vs Allies, Sicily 1943
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Pretty much
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
6) What went well? - The US Airborne command and control as well as the scenario in general. The Italians didn't do too badly either.
7) What could have been improved? Not much, but I do need to re-read the new rules and make notes of changes from BKCII. Also we need to start using some of the special abilities, but don't want to get into too much detail at present.

mmcv

05 May 2019, 08:47:24 PM #176 Last Edit: 05 May 2019, 09:58:12 PM by mmcv
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? Bloody Big Battles
2) What armies were confronted? Russians vs Allies in the Crimea
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? A little, had given it a bit of a read through beforehand
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 1
6) What went well? The Russian shooting, I've never seen so many 11s and 12s in one game! They repeatedly threw back the supposedly superior Allied troops.
7) What could have been improved? Remembering that the British could have just charged straight across the stream rather than standing exchanging pot shots for several turns!

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18539.0.html

Ithoriel

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? BKCIV
2) What armies were confronted? Russians vs Germans, Eastern Front, Spring 1943 The start of another go at our "Journey To Kursk" campaign.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? All players had played BKC before many times.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? First time using BKCIV but we soon had the differences sorted out .... we think :)
5) How many players were in the game? 5 - 3 Russian and 2 German
6) What went well? In Turn 3 my panzer commander ordered 6 PzIVs and 3PzIIIs to fire and rolled a double one. So they fired twice. I rolled again, using my opponents dice, at his request, and rolled a double one! So fired twice. My opponent then rolled on my behalf, with my dice, and .... yup, rolled a double one. There is no point in my doing the lottery or playing poker for at least a decade, I have clearly used up at least that length of time's supply of good fortune!! When the dust settled the force facing me had lost so much it broke and was removed. The remaining Russians opted to continue the attack in hopes of eliminating my partner and regaining the advantage. They were disappointed.
7) What could have been improved? The Russians seemed to do everything right except their die rolling when making saves. Artillery was spectacularly effective at hitting where troops weren't. We need to learn what the special abilities do better (or drop them altogether).
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

2) What armies were confronted? - Egyptians and Mahdists
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - nope
6) What went well? Ummm...Lee's reassured that she can still win.
7) What could have been improved?  I suppose I might have done a little better if I'd resisted the temptation to go onto the offensive against the better and more numerous Dervish cavalry.

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BKCIV
2) What armies were confronted? - Italians vs British, Sicily 1943
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Pretty much
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
6) What went well? - The scenario worked well and both sides artillery made a difference. The Italian bomber was as effective as ever. The campaign is going nicely with the third game already sorted broadly speaking as it's a logical follow on from this one. Details to follow.
7) What could have been improved? - Less Italian command blunders would have helped, with one HQ having two in a row!