What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nellkyn

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - A Mere Question of Pluck
2) What armies were confronted? - British and Boer at Talana Hill
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Aim of the game was to get back into playing the rules for Wor Lard. Glad I listened to the suggestion.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, but the last time was five years ago.
5) How many players were in the game? - Four including myself but I running the game. Two British and one Boer.
6) What went well? - The whole feel of the early 2nd Anglo-Boer war. British units not knowing exactly the Boer are and getting bogged down under Boer rifle fire. The Boers nervous as the mass of British ranks set against them.
7) What could have been improved? - General knowledge of the ruleset by all the players, including myself. I missed out large chunks.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCII.
2) What armies were confronted? - SCW Nationalists vs Republicans.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, been using them since publication.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two.
6) What went well? - Pretty much everything and anything the Nationalists did.
7) What could have been improved? - Pretty much everything and anything the Republicans did. I was the Republicans :(.

Dave Fielder

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCII.
2) What armies were confronted? - SCW Nationalists vs Republicans.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, been using them since publication.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two.
6) What went well? - Pretty much everything and anything the Nationalists did.
7) What could have been improved? - Pretty much everything and anything the Republicans did. I was the Nationalist commander  ;) .
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Dave Fielder

Plagiarism is the lowest form of drole ...
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

steve_holmes_11

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Pikeman's Lament (Osprey)
2) What armies were confronted? - Covenantors Vs A contingent of New Model Army.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, checked the rulkes a couple of times - just to be sure.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Second outing between Westmarcher (of this forum) and I.
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? - The rules played smoothly with mimimal confusion - Westmarcher has been promoted to Lieutenant
7) What could have been improved? - My rolling for activation and in combat leaves much room for improvement. - Lodowicke Muggleton remains in enemy captivity.

paulr

21 April 2019, 09:19:11 PM #156 Last Edit: 21 April 2019, 10:23:17 PM by paulr
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - For King & Parliament
2) What armies were confronted? - Royalists v Parliament
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, although we all learnt a few more bits about them as we went along
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Most of the players had played quite a bit of TtS and some FK&P, 2-3 had not played either before
5) How many players were in the game? - about 10, I lost count :-[ We played 3 games with 7 or 8 players per day, some couldn't make all three days
6) What went well? - Everything :) :D :D :D :D :D
7) What could have been improved? - Pierre the Shy being able to make it, some of the chit drawing.
         I think the record was failing to activate the first unit of a brigade for 3 turns in a row X_X

As most of you will know I staged the ECW Battle of Cheriton at the New Zealand National Wargames Convention over the first 3 days of Easter using For King & Parliament rules
I am very pleased to say that it seems to have gone very well with all players enjoying the game(s) and lots of positive comments from other players and the public :) :) :)
Personally I had an absolute ball :D

I have a number of people I need to thank

Firstly all the players
Everyone played the games in a great spirit, there was much banter, laughter and applause - some genuine, some ironic ;)
An extra thank you to Mark who provide me with accommodation for 3 nights at short notice when my initial plan fell through
At the end of the first two games I asked "who is playing tomorrow", it was very gratifying to see 4-6 hands promptly shoot up :)

Secondly Simon and Andrew
For all the support and assistance they gave me in putting the scenario together
Most importantly for writing such a great set of rules, the period feel and different character of the different units made the games fascinating
The rules played incredibly smoothly with no disputes or bizarre results and were very easily picked up by the players with no experience
We only occasionally referred to the QRS I had put together and I can only think of 3-4 occasions when the rule book was required to check something
All the mechanisms work really well and generate a really tense exciting game,
   once a unit is badly disordered the draw of each chit can be the difference between a unit surviving or not :-SS X_X
The victory points are a really clear way of keeping track of how each side was doing, this kept all the players focused on how the different parts of the battle were going
They also generated lots of banter about who was gaining the most victory points for their side  :) and also who was losing the most :-[
Unlike many multiplayer games I've played in there was intense interest in the last few activations of the last player to finish their turn

Thirdly various members of this forum
Thanks for convincing me to go with sabot basing, the ability to represent Pike or Shot heavy units by the arrangement of the bases on the sabots was very useful in the heat of battle in the middle of the table
Also being able to field the 15 units of Commanded Shot at Cheriton as Pike and Shot units in future battles will be invaluable
Your continued interest in the project has also helped motivate me

I'll be putting together three battle reports once I have recovered a bit and processed the 100 photos I took
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Glad to hear it went so well after all your hard work!

Techno

paulr

There was a lot of work that went into it but then I enjoyed the work :)
Except for soaking hedges in PVA and there were only 300 of them @-)
I actually only used about 280-290 hedges

The enjoyment I got from the three games was well worth the effort involved :)
I will definitely be playing the scenario again as it is a fascinating battle  :-\

I've also had some suggestions from some of the players for other scenarios I should look at
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sunjester

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Cruel Seas
2) What armies were confronted? - Kriegsmarine vs Royal Navy
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, 
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - I've played this a few times now
5) How many players were in the game? - Orcs and myself
6) What went well? - We tried a rule tweak to turn large ships from the centre rather than the stern. This helped to make them less maneuverable compared with the fast torpedo boats.
7) What could have been improved? - My aim with torpedoes!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Quote from: paulr on 22 April 2019, 08:29:09 AM
There was a lot of work that went into it but then I enjoyed the work :)
Except for soaking hedges in PVA and there were only 300 of them @-)
I actually only used about 280-290 hedges

That is a fab photograph of the table - shows off the sheer size and extent of the work you put in. The photo's also great in illustrating how absorbed everyone was in the game.  :-bd 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Westmarcher

Quote from: sunjester on 22 April 2019, 09:48:50 AM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Cruel Seas
7) What could have been improved? - My aim with torpedoes!

Has anyone ever wondered how many missed torpedoes are lying on the sea bottoms throughout the world?  :-\
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.