What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Quote from: Westmarcher on 15 March 2019, 09:16:28 AM
Yes, likewise .... and hobnobbing with the current wargaming world's glitterati, too.  ;)  :-bd

Jealous! Who me? Not at all .... OK ... perhaps a little.  ;D

If they are "glitterati" that would actually make me a "paparazzo".  :D
Sleep with clean hands ...

Westmarcher

Quote from: Hwiccee on 15 March 2019, 02:47:45 PM
We staged a re-fight of the battle of Lutzen 1632 at the recent WMMS show. Photos, etc, here - http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/C18/Twilight/Lutzen1632.htm
Good looking game and report (coincidentally just covered Lutzen when reading Swords for Hire). The large bases are quite effective in representing the formations of the different tactical doctrines of the era although I did notice what appears to be a little warping(?) in one or two cases (possibly solved by sub-dividing the bases or simply using thicker material?).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Hwiccee

Quote from: Steve J on 15 March 2019, 03:19:13 PM
Great looking game and nice to see smaller scales at a show 8).

Thanks. There was also a very nice WSS game in 10mm next to us but unfortunately I have no photos of that :(

Hwiccee

Quote from: Westmarcher on 16 March 2019, 02:27:25 PM
Good looking game and report (coincidentally just covered Lutzen when reading Swords for Hire). The large bases are quite effective in representing the formations of the different tactical doctrines of the era although I did notice what appears to be a little warping(?) in one or two cases (possibly solved by sub-dividing the bases or simply using thicker material?).

Thanks Westmarcher. The figures are not mine, my army is the smaller German states Protestant army, but I will pass on your comments. I think that the warping is likely to be because the figures you are talking about are kept outside in a shed.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Ten More Sons!
2) What armies were confronted? - Poles and Muscovites in the Time of Troubles
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Oh, yus.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - still far from it
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? Hussars did exactly what they're there for, and the drabs gave useful fire support. Dragoons pulled off an effective ambush. Tsar Ivan III was captured, which will look good in the newspapers.
7) What could have been improved?  Pancerni Cossacks charged a Streltsi unit and were sent running. Small price to pay.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - MeG (Mortiem et Gloriam)
2) What armies were confronted? - Late Republican Roman vs Dacians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - incredibly
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - hell no
6) What went well? - first charge whipping out a cohort, killing all the elite legions, wounding Caesar.
7) What could have been improved? - my cavalry being caught and run over by legions...

Top game, first run out of borrowed Dacians for this weekend. Lost 10-15  but learned a lot.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Quote from: mad lemmey on 22 March 2019, 06:54:50 AM
. . . whipping out a cohort, killing all the elite legions, wounding Caesar.

What? So you whipped out your cohort, and the Romans just disintegrated. What is this, Carry on up the Danube?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Another go at "Test of Honour" - the Warlord Samurai rules. This time with campaign rules.
2) What armies were confronted? - Japanese all round.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Getting to grips withit.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Second through fourth plays.
6) What went well? We are much quicker at the game now. Quests (Drawn cards in a campaign context) add some interesting side-objectives, through most rely on pure luck.
7) What could have been improved?  Still feels like the dice are playing us, rather than us playing the game.

sunjester

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Black Powder with Glory Hallelujah supplement
2) What armies were confronted? - Yanks and Rebs
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2, Last Hussar and myself
6) What went well? - Pretty much everything, we are very comfortable with the rules now
7) What could have been improved? - Last Hussar's dice  :d :P

paulr

30 March 2019, 08:21:44 PM #115 Last Edit: 30 March 2019, 08:45:31 PM by paulr
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - For King and Parliament
2) What armies were confronted? - Royalists v Parliament
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very, but a little rusty
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, but haven't played with them for a few months
5) How many players were in the game? - 3, Our regular host Roy, Pierre the Shy and myself
6) What went well? - Pretty much everything :)
7) What could have been improved? - the Royalist chits

This was a test/practice game for Cheriton at Easter and I'm very please to say all went pretty well

So without too much more waffle on to the pretty pictures ;)

The troops of both sides advance, the Royalists on the left

• Sergeant-Major-General Sir John Paulet's 'Tertias' of Foot
  • Major General Sir John Smyth's Brigade of Horse
  • Colonel Matthew Appleyard's Brigade - attacking the wood
Parliament on the right

• Major-General Richard Browne's London Brigade of Foot
  • Sir William Balfour's Brigade of Horse (from the Earl of Essex's army)
  • Lieutenant-Colonel Walter Leighton's Brigade - well forward defending the wood

The Royalists have secured the ridge

Close fighting in the wood, both sides have already lost a unit of commanded shot

Parliament's Sir William Balfour's Regiment of Horse advance towards the limbered artillery on the road but fails to activate for a second time so doesn't charge home

More close fighting in the wood, the Royalists have lost a second unit of commanded shot and a unit of artillery

Parliament's Sir William Balfour's Regiment of Horse overran the artillery and turned and threatened the flank of Sir Humphrey Bennet's Regiment of Horse
They failed to activate for a third time that turn so didn't charge home
Sir Humphrey Bennet's Regiment of Horse successfully drew to turn to face the threat, 8, but Lord Hopton decided to redraw to improve the odds of activating again to charge
He drew a 2 and so Sir Humphrey's Horse failed to turn :( X_X

Parliament's Sir William Balfour's Regiment of Horse has destroyed Sir Humphrey Bennet's Regiment of Horse and set off in pursuit in the general direction of Alresford accompanied by Sir William Balfour
Royalist Sir George Vaughan & Colonel Andrew Lindsey's Regiments of Horse (one unit) have destroyed Colonel John Middleton's Regiment of Horse and are pursing to the south accompanied by the lightly wounded Lord Hopton

The final act, Colonel Matthew Appleyard's Brigade loses it's last unit and Colonel Appleyard is forced to ride off the field. With only one victory point remaining the Royalists concede
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Techno

30 March 2019, 09:40:40 PM #117 Last Edit: 30 March 2019, 09:51:14 PM by Techno
 =D> =D> =D>

(I'll let you off the waffling.) ;)

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data