What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Last Days Apocalypse
2) What armies were confronted? - 2 sets of survivors vs zombies
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - not initially
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - yes, hence the answer above
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? - One of my gang decided to deal with the opponents well...
7) What could have been improved? - One of my other characters, who despite being a combat monster, died in the first round of combat!!!

Full report later.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Target for Tonight
2) What armies were confronted? - RAF vs Luftwaffe
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 plus me as umpire
6) What went well? - All RAF aircraft carried out their attacks returned to base
7) What could have been improved? - the German defenders had a rough night, failing to damage any of the bombers and losing a Fw 190 Wilde Sau fighter shot down by one the bombers over Berlin and several others falling to supporting RAF Mosquito intruders during the raid. Further navigation training for some RAF crews may be necessary since 3 out of 6 Lancasters went off track during the evening. One of Roy's crews came dangerously close to running out of fuel since it took them no less than 5 attempts to find their base in early morning fog and they came within 1 pip of crashing into elevated terrain, though they finally managed to get home safely on the smell of an oily rag.     

As several of our regular group were not available I ran a "casual" game of TfT which proved quite successful, both players commenting afterwards that it was pretty good representation of a raid and that they would be happy to play again.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Definitely an interesting simulation/game :-\

The tension definitely builds as you steadily move toward the target even though there are no decisions to make as you move along in the stream :-w :-SS
Unless your navigator gets confused :-/

A couple of interesting mechanisms using playing cards and a small squared board are used if you run into night fighters and on the run into the target
Both are a mix of skill, tactical decisions and luck

Overall a very atmospheric game

Bacon and eggs for breakfast for me this morning :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Impetus 2nd Edition
2) What armies were confronted? - Late Roman Republican v Gauls
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - It was a trial game and there is a lot different from original Impetus, I suggest treat them as a completely new rule set if you are familiar with Impetus.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
6) What went well? - Most of the things that were ambiguous in the original ruleset are now clearer.
7) What could have been improved? - Bearing in mind that these have been about 3 years in gestation it was disappointing to see that there were mistakes in the movement table in the main rule book and the QRF at the back of the book. That said I appreciate that the author is a one man band. Javelin range seems much too long to me (twice the distance of a basic infantry move and javelin armed troops do not get any penalty for firing after their intial move). Roman artillery have the same basic move as light infantry (it used to be less than heavy infantry in the original).

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - The Portable Wargame by Bob Cordery.
2) What armies were confronted? - Mid 19thC Blue vs Red.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very much so, given this was my first game.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes.
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo.
6) What went well? - Despite only a brief read through of the rules, everything pretty much seemed intuitive, which is great.
7) What could have been improved? - Just some minor details I missed, but that was the reason for playing a trail game, to get to grips with the basic mechanics.

mmcv

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Soldiers of God
2) What armies were confronted? - Crusaders vs Saracens
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Somewhat, bit of flipping about at the start but got to grips with things quickly enough.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes.
6) What went well? - Rules generally made good sense and easy to pick up. Quick reference gives most of what you need for the game once you have the core rules down.
7) What could have been improved? - I didn't initially start tracking the morale properly, just adding on paper at the end of the turn, though from turn three or four I started using counters to keep track during the turns which was easier.

I received the rule set as a birthday present from my partner and as I had the day off thought I'd use it as a distraction from the head cold I'm battling! After a quick read through the rules I put together a couple of evenly matched forces and got to it. The card driven system was an interesting change as it made you really have to think about what you could do each turn. The main downside of this was the relative lack of melee cards meant that by the last few turns it was just an attrition grind of endless rallying disorder. This was maybe due to the type of forces I deployed or just the nature of the battle plans, or possibly just something I've missed in the rules. Will be having another read through the rules now I've a better feel for how they play and will be sure to get another game in at some point in the future as it has a lot of potential for the period.

Also thanks to orcs (I think it was) for the recommendation when I first joined.

mmcv

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Soldiers of God (again) - figured I'd give it another blast today while I had the space cleared and a free afternoon.
2) What armies were confronted? - Crusaders vs Saracens
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, missed the distance limit on one of the rules until halfway through the game but otherwise was very comfortable.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Second.
6) What went well? - Much more dynamic game than last time with more drama and action and went back and forth between the two sides throughout.
7) What could have been improved? - As I mentioned I missed the distance limited on one rule, though it didn't make too much difference in the end.

Much more fun battle than last time. Playing solo you have to try and "Chinese wall" yourself and make decisions as if you didn't know what the other side was doing or what cards they held, but there's enough of a random element to things that it can work well. Can imagine it being a lot of fun with another player though so will have to try that sometime in future!

I've taken some pictures so will maybe put together a battle report as well.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - The Portable Wargame by Bob Cordery.
2) What armies were confronted? - Mid 19thC Blue vs Red.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very much so, even though this was my second game.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No.
6) What went well? - Pretty much everything really. I liked the exhaustion point rule, as it really makes you think when you can take hits, or when it might be wise to retreat. Given I set up, played the game and packed away in less than an hour, makes these perfect for quick pick up games.
7) What could have been improved? - Just some of the die rolls for either side at times.

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Big Battle DBA, but with only 2 armies a side
2) What armies were confronted? - Early Crusader & Armenian v Egyptian & Syrian
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, but hadn't played for a while
5) How many players were in the game? - 3, hence the reduced number of armies
6) What went well? - early moves by the Syrian Light Horse attacking the Armenian camp and catching the Armenian General in the flank
7) What could have been improved? - not managing to kill either the camp or the general then being pushed into a corner by some Armenian spear

After a very promising start it ended up a decisive loss for the Egyptians and Syrians

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - To the Strongest!
2) What armies were confronted? - Parthians v Romans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
6) What went well? - Game itself went very well, having smaller but more numerous commands/generals.
7) What could have been improved? Me having a plan....any plan.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

FierceKitty

I can't face answering this. My Sassanids were very roughly handled by the Huns this weekend. Don't want to talk about it.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Quote from: FierceKitty on 12 February 2019, 06:29:59 AM
I can't face answering this. My Sassanids were very roughly handled by the Huns this weekend. Don't want to talk about it.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 February 2019, 01:54:57 PM
Gazing upon the slain body of my enemy, beholding the humiliation of his tribe, and hearing the lamentation of his women.

O:-)

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: FierceKitty on 12 February 2019, 06:29:59 AM

O err missus!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Leman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - FOGR
2) What armies were confronted? - Trastamara Spanish v French
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Definitely getting there
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - Previously decided to make my own QRS sheets. Came out as five one-sided sheets. I photocopied them, then did cut and paste to get one impact sheet with its POAs, one movement sheet with CMTs, one shooting sheet with POAs, one melee sheet with POAs and one Cohesion sheet, plus death rolls etc. Once laminated these could easily be slid across one another, as the turn sequence is very formulated. I found these five sheets far easier to use than the exceptionally busy back-to-back sheet available on the web. This time I actually won
7) What could have been improved? - I just need to remember one or two salient points to get a flawless run through.

The rules do give a good way of dealing with the various pike based formations of that 200 year period. I do think they would work better if they were just for European-type warfare, then I wouldn't find myself reading through a long and convoluted sentence only to find that the last word is elephants.

I commanded the Spanish, with three colunelas, lots of light and medium arquebus and a smattering of various types of horse, up against several units of French gendarmes, light cavalry, lots of crossbows and one grand battle of superior Swiss pike. A simple plan - mither the gendarmes with my light horse, pin the Swiss with my colunelas and send the rest of my light horse and arquebusiers around the French left flank to come in on his camp. Although I never got to the camp the opposing light horse and crossbows were heavily damaged and one unit of gendarmes was caught by a colunela and also heavily damaged. Thus the French were unable to continue. Having said that, the Swiss inflicted massive casualties on two of the colunelas such that it was something of a Pyrrhic victory, but a nice change to win.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

grahambeyrout

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Le Feu Sacre III
2) What armies were confronted? - Austrian v Bavarian
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No, but I have high hopes
5) How many players were in the game? - One, Geographical isolation means I  frequently play solo
6) What went well? - The ebb and flow of cavalry fights
7) What could have been improved? - keeping note of unit status, I do not like ugly markers denoting "shaken"