What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 16 January 2019, 11:01:12 PM
A boardgame this time - not even a war themed one.

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Flamme Rouge - a bicycle racing boardgame
2) What armies were confronted? - Red team and Blue team (Each with a sprinter and endurance guy)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, very simple, no exceptional situations, very slick game engine, clever use of cards to manage cyclist energy.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Just two, 3 or 4 would have added a bit more tension.
6) What went well? - Game played very quickly, rules were clear and required no checking during play. Racetrack constructin is also good - nice robust pieces.
7) What could have been improved? - The expansion set isn't available in the UK - I've ordered from Spellen Domein in Tilburg.

The Expansion arrived yesterday.
3 games later, I'm pleased to announce it's a worthwhile addition which adds some interesting possibilities - more players, new terrain, dumy teams to bulk out a race or permit solo play.

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Simon Miller's and Andrew Brentnall's (Mollinary) 'For King and Parliament' (ECW)

2) What armies were confronted? - Royalists v Parliamentarians Same game as last week, but changed sides and with a new player.

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yep, and my fourth game.

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - See above

5) How many players were in the game? - Three including introducing a friend to the delights of FK&P

6) What went well? - Just a jolly good game, King Charles only slightly wounded this time and Lord Goring killed again!

7) What could have been improved? - Went back to using small cards but on balance we decided afterwards that we definitely prefer D10's and chits. Royalist luck - second time they have lost this scenario in just 7 days!

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

d_Guy

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? Sail and Steam Navies 1840 - 1880

2) What armies were confronted? Battle of Mobile Bay - the Federal Navy vs the seccesish

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? As there was a game presenter things moved well, so fairly comfortable with the basics at the end.

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? Yes

5) How many players were in the game? three (2 fed 1 rebel)

6) What went well? Once I got better at maneuver the heavy guns of the monitor squadron produced much satisfying damage on the enemy (the CSS Tennessee was a beast to bring down)

7) What could have been improved? The torpedo mines created a massive amount of damage and were essentially unavoidable - the general feeling was to tone them down a bit for the next game.

Opening move:

The Tennessee rams and shoots its way through Farragut's squadrons (assisted by the guns of Fort Morgan):
Sleep with clean hands ...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Fabulous looking game. I assume the scale is 1:600, my favourite for ACW naval. Is the fort from a commercial supplier or home made?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

So does this mean you will be 'staring' on LittleWarsTV ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

The ships are indeed 1/600, mostly Thoroughbred. The fort is scratchbuilt (by the owner of the ship models) although it's guns are also from Throughbred.

Paul, I don't know about "staring" as I am a bit slow-witted in real time, still one never knows. :)

Between visiting Terry and making the occasional run up to York, my horizons have been greatly expanded recently.

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: paulr on 25 January 2019, 08:09:00 AM
:-bd =D> :-bd

So does this mean you will be 'staring' on LittleWarsTV ;)

Not sure if that should be starring or staring. I think I prefer the latter.

Leman

Far less likely to appear in a bloopers clip as you don't need to learn as many lines if you are staring in video!

Leman

You might also land a role in a Blink 180 video.

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 25 January 2019, 03:39:20 PM
You might also land a role in a Blink 180 video.

Only if my physician changes my medication.

paulr

Quote from: Nick the Lemming on 25 January 2019, 02:49:28 PM
Not sure if that should be starring or staring. I think I prefer the latter.

starring #-o
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

Sellswords and SpellSlingers

Apologies to Sunjester if I've spelled Sotoyoma's name incorrectly.

SCENE: FOREST CLEARING IN A STORM AT NIGHT. MOST OF THE TIME ALL THAT CAN BE SEEN IS THE SILLOUETTE OF THE TREES AGAINST THE NIGHT SKY. OCCASSIONALLY A FLASH OF LIGHTNING WILL ILLUMINATE THE SCENE, SHOWING THE PARTY GATHERED AROUND, WITH SOTOYOMA TRYING TO LIGHT A FIRE. NIGHT TIME.

Sotoyoma (voice in darkness)
Bugger... Bugger... Bugger...

There is a brief spark that dies instantly

Sotoyoma
Bugger.

Christos
Aren't you supposed to be a Ranger?

Sotoyoma
Bugger off you mad god-botherer.

Lightning flashes, revealing the party hunched in the rain, Sotoyoma trying to light the fire with flint and steel.

Sotoyoma
It's not my fault. Everything is wet. The wood is wet, the tinder is wet

Gunnar
I'm wet.

Sotoyoma
Yes. We're all bleeding wet. No one can light a fire in this weather.

The Wizard Eduardo
I can.

Robin
STOP HIM!

Eduardo
FIAT L- erch

Lightning flashes irregularly, showing the party wrestling Eduardo to the ground in a series of vignettes.

Eduardo
Geroff. Do you want this fire lit or what?

Gunnar
Two words. Pig. Roast.

Eduardo
It was cooked, wasn't it?

Christos
It was charcoal on the outside, and still oinking in the middle.

SCENE: INTERIOR, TAVERN. THE PARTY ARE SAT AROUND A TABLE WITH MUGS OF ALE, AND THE REMAINS OF DINNER ON PLATES. EVENING.

Sotoyoma
Did you ask for a receipt for the armour repair?

Gunnar
Aye, laddie.

Sotoyoma
And?

Gunnar
The smith asked what a receipt was.

Sotoyoma
And?

Gunnar
He had to go and find someone who could read and write.  That cost an extra silver penny.

Sotoyoma
But did you get a receipt?

Gunnar
Aye.

Gunnar hands over a scrap of parchment.

Gunnar
I dinnae know why you want it.

Sotoyoma (distracted by checking parchment)
Taxes.

Bravely Bold Sir Robin
Taxes?

Sotoyoma
Yes, armour repairs are tax deductible – reasonable wear and tear.

Eldarando
When do we pay taxes?

Sotoyoma looks at them with exasperation

Sotoyoma
What do you think that I am saying to the gate guards when we enter a city? I'm paying our taxes. Why do you think I ask for money from you all?

Gunnar
Ach, I though that was just bribes. I dinnae know ye were doing anything immoral.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry