What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Quote from: mmcv on 04 January 2019, 03:18:36 PM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - To The Strongest!
2) What armies were confronted? - Crusaders and Saracens
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - not overly, still a fair amount of book flipping
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Second time, though first time playing "properly" rather than just demoing through the book.
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - Saracen archery!
7) What could have been improved? - Layout of the rule book, it's very difficult to find the desired information quickly, with the need to read several paragraphs spread across different chapters in the book to work out what to do in a particular situation. Could really benefit from a rules summary or extended quick reference.

Didn't you find the index at the back of rhe rulebook useful? I found it helped me answer pretty well all my queries in seconds. There is also a Quick Reference sheet available to download free from the bigrdedbatshop website.
Battle report coming soon...
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: mollinary on 04 January 2019, 09:37:27 PM

Didn't you find the index at the back of rhe rulebook useful? I found it helped me answer pretty well all my queries in seconds. There is also a Quick Reference sheet available to download free from the bigrdedbatshop website.

Index was useful for general areas but I found I had to flip about a lot to get to the info I needed. For instance, the effects of generals and what happens when they get hit in combat I spent about ten minutes flipping about reading different sections and what I needed was buried in an unmarked paragraph.

Rally was another one I didn't really grasp until I read FK&P, which did clarify it more.

I did use the QRS provided and it's useful for the activation and modifiers info, though had to cross reference a lot for other stuff.

I know Simon is always updating and some of the stuff in the Even Stronger supplement added some interesting tweaks. I know version 2 is in the works too, which I imagine will tidy up a lot. I had a lot of fun with the game, just a minor frustration with finding some of what I need in the rules.

mollinary

Mmcv,

I share your pain regarding what happens to generals, it is the one thing I always have to look up!  Now, after many searches, I know off by heart it is on p51 under 'Failing a Save' which is how it is also marked in the index. I certainly think it would also be useful to index it under 'Generals' Saves'. I will suggest it to Simon.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

mmcv

Yeah I agree a small addition to the index with its own sub heading for that would make it easier to find. I didn't twig that the general wounding behaviour would be under the failing a save, though can see why it is now, but was looking for something in and around other General rules or under its own sub heading.

steve_holmes_11

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Test of Honour - Warlord's Samurai skirmish game.

2) What armies were confronted? - Japanese against Japanese, around 15 - 18 each side.

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No, first play through and we were feeling our way inot it.

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yep!

5) How many players were in the game? - Two.

6) What went well? - I think we had most of the rules figured out by the end. The token draw activation provides a method to suppress opposition by forcing them to dodge and waste their activation.

7) What could have been improved? -

It's a bit early to say, but the game seems a bit shallow, lots of die rolling to resolve combats very slowly.
Relatively few tactical decisions - just smite the oppo's before they smite you, and hope to roll big.
I think a better scenario and smaller forces would have provided a better introduction.

Leman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Longstreet
2) What armies were confronted? -Union v Confederate, eastern theatre 1861
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no, but a bit rusty
5) How many players were in the game? - 4
6) What went well? - Game flowed quickly once we were into the flow of it. The three new players loved the unpredictability caused by interrupt cards.
7) What could have been improved? - It took two sessions, and in the second session we both forgot to use morale to reduce hits and we also forgot that red banner cards should be removed after use (which is why three swamps appeared during the game).

All three new players agreed that it had been great fun and want to play again.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Frostgrave (At last)
2) What armies were confronted? - Dwarves vs Goblin wizard bands
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - not yey
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - yes
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? - my apprentice got off every spell he wanted! Poison dart slowing down opposing dwarves so he could get my knight off table with a chest.
7) What could have been improved? - my Witch, hopeless, and my dice, which rolled low, I only got 1 of Chris's warriors, he offer 3 of mine, in a turn, and KO'ed my Witch! Thankfully she recovered afterwards from being badly hurt, with a little help of 100 Gold Coins!
3 chests each, I just got away with it...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

A boardgame this time - not even a war themed one.

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Flamme Rouge - a bicycle racing boardgame
2) What armies were confronted? - Red team and Blue team (Each with a sprinter and endurance guy)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, very simple, no exceptional situations, very slick game engine, clever use of cards to manage cyclist energy.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Just two, 3 or 4 would have added a bit more tension.
6) What went well? - Game played very quickly, rules were clear and required no checking during play. Racetrack constructin is also good - nice robust pieces.
7) What could have been improved? - The expansion set isn't available in the UK - I've ordered from Spellen Domein in Tilburg.

Ithoriel

I love Flamme Rouge! The more players, the better it is IMHO.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Post of Honour ( a work in progress set of simple SYW rules by Keith Flint).
2) What armies were confronted? - Austrians vs Prussians.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Sort of, given it was my first game.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two, the author and myself.
6) What went well? - My Austrians managed to ge the jump on the Prussians and maintained it for most of the game.
7) What could have been improved? - As we were playtesting, not a lot really, mainly just clarifying and tweaking rules here and there. Oh and my shooting at times could have been better.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Early Scots vs Vikings (No photos due to massive amount of proxies)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - indeed
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - this year, yes.
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? - light horse shooting a unit of huscarl into submitting, average blokes taking on foaming at the mouth uber warriors.
7) What could have been improved? - my dice rolling, Nick broke me 15-8 In the end, at one point I was 10-0 down!

[/quote]
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Simon Miller's and Andrew Brentnall's (Mollinary) 'For King and Parliament' (ECW)

2) What armies were confronted? - Royalists v Parliamentarians

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yep, and my third game.

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - See above

5) How many players were in the game? - Two.

6) What went well? - used D10's and chits instead of playing cards and tried out some tags (covered in clear sticky backed plastic, so that they could be used again) attached to units where we marked off ammunition and 'dash'. Both worked well. A lot of fun, so much so in fact that we are repeating the same scenario on Tuesday (Battle of Soggy Bottom). 

7) What could have been improved? - Used 15cm grid which limits me to 12 x 8 boxes, looking forward to the warmer weather when I can start using the garage again and have a larger table.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Leman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - From Shako to Coal-scuttle
2) What armies were confronted? - French Imperial v Prussian 1870
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo, but a couple of people called round to try out the rules and have a turn or two.
6) What went well? - Apart from a bit of page flicking the game flowed smoothly and quickly. The initial dice rolls made for unpredictability and excitement, especially suitable for a solo game .                                 
7) What could have been improved? - a bit more info on the QRS, a problem I intend to address.

The early parts of the game are shown in the five photos I posted in Playtesting FSTC. As the game unfolded the Prussian artillery proved their worth, while the French eventually lost all their artillery, mainly to counter battery, but the last battery falling to close range needle gun fire. The Prussians stuck to advance formation, with which they were able to launch a number of devastating charges. Although the French countered in some places and used their chassepots to slow down the Prussian advance they were thrown out of the town in move 11. They attempted to retake it in move 12 (the final move) but their charge was halted and the Prussians remained in control. As night fell the French withdrew from the town whilst their right flank streamed away in disorder, covered by a unit of cuirassiers.

There are some very simple victory point tallies. Both armies had inflicted more than 30% losses, each gaining one point. However the Prussians had numerous units within the French half and two cavalry units within 8" of the French base line giving them a 3:1 victory - a major tactical win.

Below: The Prussians from the left wing and centre are driving the French away.

Below: The shattered French right removes itself from the field, covered by a brave unit of cuirassiers, whose charge has just been halted by the Prussians.

Final thoughts: it might be worth working in a gone to ground rule once I am more familiar with gameplay. I certainly find these faster than TDFG, similar to Neil Thomas, but with a bit more meat, and ideal for small-scale scenarios of the battalion level variety. I am hoping to devise some scenarios based on Leonce Patrie's book, and will use these rules to fight them out, especially as there are some interesting additional rules that can be added in to give more nuanced play and period flavour, such as surprise attacks, weather, unpleasant going, elites and militias etc.

Womble67

Lovely looking table, figures, building, etc

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

From the man who needs a piece of straw tied to one shoe. The French LEFTflank collapsed and streamed away, almost entirely caused by continuous artillery bombardment.