What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

Quote from: grahambeyrout on 12 February 2019, 03:46:20 PM
7) What could have been improved? - keeping note of unit status, I do not like ugly markers denoting "shaken"

A suggestion, if I may? I have taken to using wool roving in different colours as markers. It looks enough like dust or smoke that it adds to the scene rather than detracting.
https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/sewing/needle-felting/wool-roving

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Leman

And the inevitable question: what is wool roving?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Leman on 13 February 2019, 08:52:12 AM
And the inevitable question: what is wool roving?

Follow the link I gave and you'll find it. It is soft skeins of fine woollen threads that cut up easily into wispy puffs of smoke.

Last Hussar

I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leman

Durrr...... missed that, Chris. Thanks for waking me up.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - The Portable Wargame by Bob Cordery.
2) What armies were confronted? - Mid 19thC Blue vs Red.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very much so.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No.
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo.
6) What went well? - Using cards to generate the Turn sequence.
7) What could have been improved? - The die rolls in close combat. I want to do some minor tweaks of the rules by adding things like Skirmishers, Grape Shot etc.

sunjester

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Sellswords and Spellslingers (my own VSF version)
2) What armies were confronted? - Brave chaps and chapess in service of her Imperial Majesty vs dastardly Balkan brigands
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Oh yes!
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 players plus myself as umpire/GM
6) What went well? - Pretty much everything
7) What could have been improved? - Not sure, it's still a bit of a work in progress

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Impetus 2nd Edition
2) What armies were confronted? - Gauls v Early Imperial Romans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Getting there, but slowly.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Second 'trial' game.
5) How many players were in the game? - Three
6) What went well? - The new set up rules are quick and easy.
7) What could have been improved? - Trying to forget the original rules. The Romans had a lot of 'shooty' type units (but within the army list). For a time it felt more like playing Brits v Dervishes (to me at least) with the Gauls being simply mown down by Roman firepower, not what I want from an ancients game. Still early days yet.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Ithoriel

Played a quick introductory game of Cruel Seas with my 1/600 stuff.

Took some pics, will post an AAR in my Cruel Seas 1/600 thread   

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Cruel Seas
2) What armies were confronted? - Brits vs Germans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - More or less
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - 4th game but first where I was the only one who knew the rules
5) How many players were in the game? - Five
6) What went well? - Players picked up the rules quickly, everyone was very complimentary about the boat models, British firing
7) What could have been improved? - German firing!

3 E-Boats (1x S38 and 2 x S100) vs 2 Fairmile "D" MTBs. One model per player.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

18 February 2019, 05:56:18 AM #84 Last Edit: 18 February 2019, 05:58:26 AM by FierceKitty
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? -  IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were confronted? - Sassanid Persians and early Huns
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very much so
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - A Hun skirmisher unit ended up evading my Gyanaspar but leaving the field in the process, and the Armenian cataphracts managed to ambush the Hunnic nobles in flank, with dire results. That aside, no bad omens, no desertions.
7) What could have been improved?  - i) The die rolls in close combat; three ones in a row. As it happened, the Hun attacks were foiled by our heavy armour, so it wasn't fatal. ii) I wish my elephants would try a bit harder when I need them to trample a unit of hostile nobles; that lumbering saunter is really frustrating, but here too their shooting still contributed significantly to the Persian victory.
8 ) Is it true what they say about you Africans? -  I've had no complaints.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Poseidon's Warriors
2) What armies were confronted? - Rome (John) vs Carthage (Andy) vs Syracuse (Me)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yup
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - narp
5) How many players were in the game? - 3
6) What went well? - Causing the Roman admiral to back off when he realised the whole Syracusian fleet was after him, when he had sent half his force to hold off Carthage.
Making the Roman admiral put on his waterwings, twice! ;D
7) What could have been improved? - The Carthaginian admiral breaking off and routing his fleet, while in the strongest position to crush both other players (1 followed by a 1 reroll will do that to you), leaving Syracuse with the win!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

A triple header yesterday a road trip and 3 games of under 2 hours.

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Studio Tomahawk's Congo (2nd episode of their Mungo Mah Lobeh campaign) http://www.studio-tomahawk.com/en/congo/
2) What armies were confronted? - African Forest Tribes against White man Expedition.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes have played many times and always enjoyed the game.
6) What went well? - Excellent game full of environmental surprises and challenges. Highlights for my forces, tribal archers seeing off some Sikh regulars. and my scouts pinning a pursuing warband and taking 6 hyena skins as loot. A great outing for the archers.
7) What could have been improved? - From My tribal perspective, some initial bad luck put my key units on the back foot form the outset and we were playing catch-up from that point on.

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Palaeo Diet (Eat or be Eaten) - First 3 games of the Fireside Tales campaign book. http://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?products_id=327
2) What armies were confronted? - Prehistoric people against tough wildlife - Lion, Boar, Angry birds and other hominids.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, through we were learning as we went along.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, had one session last year.
5) How many players were in the game? - Three playing cooperatively against programmed wildlife.
6) What went well? - Game moved quickly, and produced believable behaviour in the programmed enemy. Turn limits were just right to hurry us along, and the programmed enemy were dangerous enough to inspire caution.
7) What could have been improved? - We were reading the reaction table wrong for the other hominids for several turns. Next time ...

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Test of Honour (Warlord Samurai game) https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/test-of-honour
2) What armies were confronted? - Ninjas, Bandits, Samurai.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No, rules scattered across multiple books, a plethora of cards which refer to rules with no reference.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Second time, I had expected it to run faster this time around.
5) How many players were in the game? - Three - a simple 3 way beat-up.
6) What went well? - We have a better grasp of te combat system than previously.
7) What could have been improved? - Hard to say, After 2 games I regard the game as an exercise in rolling a lot of dice with pretty figures, but few tactics other than wait for your turn then bash somebody.

Leman

Why not give Osprey's Ronin a whirl. I have had a lot of fun with that game and everything is in a nice slim Osprey book. Playsheets etc downloadable from the Osprey site.

Chad

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Over The Hills, plus House rules to use for the French Revolution.
2) What armies were confronted? - 1792 French and Austrians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Reasonably given it was a test of the House rules and will be seeking some clarifications on some of the basic rules.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No. Second
6) What went well? - The overall impact of the House rules gave me the result I expected.
7) What could have been improved? - Need to review House rules for French Volunteer battalions 'En Tirailleur'. The base rules assume a level of organisation and training
    for infantry in an open order formation that did not exist in the early years of the Revolution.

This test involved a French force of 8 Volunteer battalions, 3 Line battalions, 1 Chasseur-a-pied battalion, 1 regiment of Line cavalry, 1 regiment of Chasseur-a-Cheval, 1 8pdr battery
and a Horse artillery battery. The Austrians defended a village with 5 Line battalions, 1 Volunteer Jager battalion, a small unit of Grenz, 2 squadrons each of Cuirassier and Chevauleger,
1 12pdr battery, 6dr regimental and 3pdr battalion guns.

The next test will reverse the attacker and defender roles. That will be followed by a 1793 test, with the French troop quality being improved. That will also enable me to employ
'Embrigadement' formation for the French mixing Line and Volunteer battalions in Brigades. These would not be Demi-Brigades, which did not come into being until the first 'Amalgame' of 1794.

Once the tests reach 1794 the Line battalions will be removed and the capability of the new Demi-Brigades will be increased again. The overall objective is to reasonably represent the development of the French Army with a target of parity with the Coalition forces in 1794/1795.

Sorry for a somewhat long winded review, but to some extent this will be something of a journey.

paulr

Sounds an interesting journey, let us know how it goes :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!