Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Mark as you well know a new edition always muks things up !  :'( :'( :d
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

John Cook

29 July 2019, 01:15:19 PM #256 Last Edit: 29 July 2019, 01:16:55 PM by John Cook
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? – Computer Strategies Clash of Ideologies V7 - Interwar 1918-1939.
2) What armies were confronted? – POUM Militia/Spanish Foreign Legion.  Madrid 1936.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Yes. If you have used one of Computer Strategies games you will be familiar with all of them.  
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – No.
5) How many players were in the game? – Two.
6) What went well? – This is Computer Strategies latest rules which I've been helping the author develop.  I have run the game more than a dozen time now during the process, either SCW or 1940 Fall of France/Low Countries scenarios.  This game was the first one set in a built up area, at platoon level with a 1:1 troop ratio.  Everything seemed to work fine during a two hour game.  The rules reflect the 'flavour' of the SCW.    
7) What could have been improved? – Could do with a demolition charge/bangalore torpedo type option but other than that. nothing really.  All the 'wrinkles' seem to have been ironed out now, with any luck, the last being some anomalies with grenades.  

Chris Pringle

ronan

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? -  Honours of War

2) What armies were confronted? -  It was a solo game between Prussian vs. Austrians.

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - I did not really play for a year and half (although I ran some games for friends) And did not play Honours of War for even more...  I also asked what was the highest number of units a player can use and got good advices on honoursofwar.com

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - After 2 or 3 turns it was ok, memories came back.

5) How many players were in the game? -  Only me and myself :P ;)  ( summer hollydays  ..)

6) What went well? - All the game has been OK.  The prussian had a risky plan, but the austrians were too slow, although they counter attacked.

7) What could have been improved? - I had to redo some bases, but mainly I will put some things next to each general to show his quality ( I don' t want to look back to the roster each turn.)
And I must find where are my trees ! ( I moved twice lately ... they're somewhere.. in a case ...)

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? – BKCII.
2) What armies were confronted? – British vs Germans August 1944.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Very.
5) How many players were in the game? – Solo.
6) What went well? – The British shooting and saving rolls were excellent for most of the game. For an improvised game (more of which in my AAR) it went really well.   
7) What could have been improved? – The German command rolls, shooting and saves. They never recovered from initial British fire supremacy. A few tweaks here and there, but again, ore on that later.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? – BKCII.
2) What armies were confronted? – British vs Fallschirmjager 1944.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Very.
5) How many players were in the game? – Solo.
6) What went well? – The concept of fighting in a BUA on a 2' x 2' board broadly worked.
7) What could have been improved? – The broad game mechanics sort of came undone in the enclosed fighting environment. More thought needed to be honest. An AAR to follow.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Late Roman (10mm) vs Free Company (18mm)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - indeed
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no
5) How many players were in the game? - two plus an observer
6) What went well? - legion taking on the world
7) What could have been improved? - legion vs the world

A very tight game, both armies within a smidge of breaking at the end. Top work
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Wings of Glory
2) What armies were confronted? - Two Hurricanes v two Italian fighters
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - not too bad
5) How many players were in the game? - Three: one per Hurricane and one controlling both Italian planes
6) What went well? - I shot down an Italian plane
7) What could have been improved? - My spatial awareness and predictive skills are crap - good job the Battle of Britain didn't rely on me. I was shot down in turn, as was the other Hurricane.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were confronted? - Achaemenid Persians against Alexandrian Macedonians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - indeed
5) How many players were in the game? - four
6) What went well? - Held them long enough for our cavalry to break a flank and wrap them up. Special mention to the Agrianian peltasts who held and broke an attack by Scythian light horse.
7) What could have been improved? - My rules have been making hoplites too effective against phalangites. This has been ammended; pikes now negate the protection of the long thrusting spear.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sunjester

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? – Black Powder
2) What armies were confronted? – 1866 Austrian vs Prussian
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – No
5) How many players were in the game? – 2
6) What went well? – Last Hussar lost!
7) What could have been improved? – As the rules are written, the mechanics for the Dreyse Needle Gun do not work. I had tweaked the rules to better reflect the capabilities of the opposing weapons, but had made the needle gun too deadly at close range. We are trying again next week with re-adjusted rules.

Leman

As the rules writers made it abundantly clear they have little interest in C19th Europe after the Crimea, why am I not surprised.

Chad

How well does BP handle Austrian stosstactik?

Leman

It is not even mentioned in the rules and there is no supplement for later C19th Europe. Personally the best set of rules for handling Stosstaktik is Bruce Weigle's, which now has an 1871 style QRS for the 1866 rules. I mentioned in another thread that his 1871 Fast Play rules are indeed very much quicker than his originals. He has now produced new play sheets for each of the previous theatres covered, plus a few pages explaining how to adapt the new sheets to the original scenarios. Half scale and quarter scale are better explained and he suggests that some of the bigger battles can be broken down into a number of sub scenarios to be played at the half or quarter scale (which would really suit 15mm figures - although I use 10mm and 6mm for these rules). Quarter scale has 4 bases to a battalion and would give a good game with more nuance with Austrians. Play sheets and additional information can be found in downloads at the bottom of his home page:

www.grandtacticalrules.com

Terry37

Only because I've never posted on this thread, felt I owed it to do so at least once - Hordes of he Things....aka, HOTT. Big surprise - right!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Leman

where are we going with this Terry. I still have to give my HOTT Leonardo inspired armies a run out.