2019 Deaths

Started by Fenton, 01 January 2019, 08:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

O Dinas Powys

It was definitely a bit of a shocker yesterday!  :o :'(
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

That's very sad.  :(

I do remember him from schooldays....though he was a 'senior' when I was a first former.

He could sling a tennis ball over the three (or was it four ?) storey part of the new part of the school.
No wonder he was such a good fast bowler.

That just leaves Terry Jones of Monty Python fame, (he left just before I joined) and JJ Burnel....one year above me, left of the 'famous' people I 'went to school with'.

Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

Blimey. he was one of my favourite cricketeers when I was a teenager and I remember his incredibly long run up. A sad loss.

mollinary

04 December 2019, 07:26:59 PM #170 Last Edit: 04 December 2019, 08:09:18 PM by mollinary
Gosh, what a shock! He was the only fast bowler I could imitate, with his strange, almost backing into a wind, run up. He also bowled the most intimidating spell of fast bowling. i can ever remember. In 1981, after Botham  had scored an amazing century  to make the  Australians bat again but, if I recall correctly, they only needed a hundred and few. The following morning Willis flew in and scared the living daylights out of them, and England won. He took 8-43, or thereabouts. A truly awe inspiring performance, which I do not think has ever got the credit it deserved. RIP, to an English cricket legend, taken far too soon at seventy.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Raider4

Watching the 1981 Ashes is where my love of Test cricket begins.

And, like Molinary, I'm a bit peeved that Botham always gets the credit for winning at Headingley, when it was clearly Willis that won that game.

And 70 is far too young.

Sandinista

Quote from: Techno on 04 December 2019, 05:02:39 PM
That just leaves Terry Jones of Monty Python fame, (he left just before I joined) and JJ Burnel....one year above me, left of the 'famous' people I 'went to school with'.

Cheers - Phil.

But JJ Burnel - what a fantastic bass player, inspired me to get off my arse and play bass, he has such a distinctive sound.

Cheers
Ian

Sandinista

He was a great player, saw him play against Yorkshire once.
I said hello to Bob on the tube once about '87-88, he sort of grunted a hello back. I was a little bit deflated at that, until my mate pointed out that I may not have looked too welcoming in my ripped jeans and leathers and punk hairdo with beer can in hand. (I was on the way to a gig)

cheers
Ian

Not Drowning, Waving

Long may the Stranglers reign.

Sad about Bob. Loved his commentary too.

T13A

Listening to the 'We have ways of making you talk' WWII podcast today (Al Murray and James Holland), found out that Sir Michael Howard died on 30 November:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/dec/01/sir-michael-howard-obituary

:(

Paul
T13A Out!

Steve J

A sad loss but what an innings and a body of work he has left behind. His Franco-Prussian War book is sans pareil IMHO.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Quote from: Steve J on 07 December 2019, 09:07:05 PM
A sad loss but what an innings and a body of work he has left behind. His Franco-Prussian War book is sans pareil IMHO.

Indeed. I had the good fortune to meet him a number of years ago during a IISS conference in Vienna, a truly great historian.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.