2019 Deaths

Started by Fenton, 01 January 2019, 08:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Thanks fsn, that is the man!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Came across this on Reddit, despite being an avid  snapper-up of unconsidered quotational trifles, I hadn't come across it before. It seemed apposite here.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

― Mark Twain
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

:(

I was also very sad to hear the news of the sudden death of Mike Brunton.....Who was the Editor of White Dwarf when I joined the Evil Empire.
I don't know for certain...but I can't believe Mike was much more than in his late fifties.

A great shame. :(

My abiding memory of Mike, was having to keep a beady on him when I was photographing a big 'battle shot' in the studio.
He had a plastic Britains' sheep that he was constantly trying to sneak onto the table, while I was 'looking through the lens'.

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Ric Ocaseck, lead singer with the Cars.

Reminds me of a specific period of my life.

Thanks Ric.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

That's a great shame !  :(

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Jessye Norman, aged 74.

Who?

Jessye Norman is was an opera singer. When I was still a teenager, I was trying out all sorts of music, and bought a copy of Jessye singing the role of Dido in Henry Purcell's Dido and Aeneas. I was absolutely captivated. I'm not a big opera fan, the arias are OK, but the speaky-singy bit* (recitative) is awful, and I'm not really that enamoured of tenors**but Dido and Aeneas was written for a girl's school so the male parts are small***, and the female voices get all the good bits.

Dido and Aeneas is particularly famous for the aria Dido sings when she decides to die - Dido's Lament, and it was when I first heard Jessye singing this that my life changed. I got a cold chill down the spine, and I could only sit, captivated.

Since then, I have become something of a Jessye Norman fan, a enthusiast for Purcell, and an aficiando of Dido and Aeneas. I have 18 different versions each of which has its own personality.

I have included in my funeral music Jessye Norman's Dido's Lament.

*Does that make opera a forerunner of rap (with the silent "c")?
**See Victor Borge's A Mozart Opera, by Mozart in which he opines that the tenor is "a little tall fellow".
***Make your own jokes up

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

FierceKitty

I think most opera-lovers find their patience is strained byrecitativo secco at times.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Music - sublime; performance - flawless; costume - questionable 

mmcv

That was beautiful, thank you for sharing. Sad that her voice will not be heard again.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Techno

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

But 80 is an excellent age for a rock star !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021