2019 Deaths

Started by Fenton, 01 January 2019, 08:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

Quote from: mad lemmey on 13 May 2019, 03:44:17 PM
Doris Day aged 97, what a life.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48257670
A talented performer who spent her retirement helping animals in distress, rather than being just another media tart "celebrity"!

PeterEm99

From the sublime to the ridiculous...

Nikki Lauda, almost certainly the best driver of his time. I have to confess that, like many Brit fans in 1976, we were so desperate for James Hunt to win the World Championship that we tended to underplay Lauda's heroism in returning to the cockpit so soon after his horrific German GP crash. But absolutely no-one was upset or surprised when he became World Champion the following year.

When finding out that he was never recorded as starting the German Grand Prix in which he crashed - only the restart after the crash was recorded in the official statistics - he promptly asked that in that case what had happened to his ear.....

And the ridiculous?  Tardar Sauce, age 7, the internet phenomenon known as Grumpy Cat. Got a mention on the BBC and across the National Press, something not many cats can claim!

Matt J

Judith Kerr  :(

Spent umpteen hours reading her books to my kids. Marvellous woman

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Techno

Welcome to the forum, PeterEm.  :)

Nikki Lauda...Great shame.....(Matt) Judith Kerr....Sadly....Don't remember her, at all....'Grumpy cat'...That wasn't very old for a cat....But I've seen his (?) image on numerous occasions.

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Nothing worse than losing a loved cat.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

I remember Judith Kerr's "Mog the Forgetful Cat" series and also "The Tiger Who Came To Tea" with great affection from my days of doing bedtime stories for the kids.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 23 May 2019, 01:41:35 PM
Nothing worse than losing a loved cat.

Lost far too many....But the dogs we've lost have hurt a lot more.

Cheers - Phil

Dr Dave

When I read the "Tiger who came to tea" to my daughter it always seemed a bit... sinister? The Tiger ransacks the house looking for food and I was never certain it wasn't going to eat the mother and daughter left in the house.

It was only a few years ago that I discovered Judith Kerr was brought up in the Netherlands in WW2. The Tiger represents the Gestapo! Now I find it a really clever but sinister read. 

steve_holmes_11

jambo1

Just found out Leon Redbone has passed on as well. :(

Ithoriel

Quote from: Dr Dave on 23 May 2019, 05:38:05 PM
It was only a few years ago that I discovered Judith Kerr was brought up in the Netherlands in WW2. The Tiger represents the Gestapo! Now I find it a really clever but sinister read. 

She always maintained that the tiger was just a tiger.

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jambo1

For music fans of 60s pyschedelia just found out Roky Erickson has passed on :( The 13th Floor Elevators were class and some of his solo stuff was mighty impressive as well.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Blake's 7 was a great series that I loved to watch. A sad loss but a great legacy.

Fenton

Oh no!. Very sad news
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!