Battle of Rowton Heath 1645

Started by pierre the shy, 31 December 2018, 11:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Quote from: mollinary on 02 January 2019, 10:03:51 PM
...Just discovered this podcast from November of some American guys experience with FK&P. It is, of course, positive, or I would not have posted it!  :D :D :D ;D   ;D. For those interested, It is at Episode 9 at https://hobbyknockout.podbean.com   I can assure readers, that no money has changed hands!

I had a chance to listen to the podcast and it is good to hear someone as enthusiastic about the rules as I am ;) :)

The quote that sums it up for me is, "after the first couple of turns you are thinking like a general" :) :) :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Quote from: Edmund2011 on 04 January 2019, 01:17:19 AM
Also it seems it is a ruleset I can use to play games with my 10mm figures and besides games with my 1/72 figures as basing is irrelevant. Is that correct??;)

Yes, the advantage of the grid is it is easy to translate into any scale of figures without having to change move distances, ranges, or anything in the rules themselves! All you do is change the grid size.  During playtesting I played the same battle with 6mm, 10mm and 28mm figures, and I know many others used/use 15mm. Indeed, at a couple of shows we put on a 6mm and 28mm version of the same game side by side, and a 10mm and 28mm side by side.

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Edmund2011

Thanks for your answers.!

It's the kind of game I could be internested, being able to use the same game for different scales and basings just changing the grid.

Now I'm also  tempeted by TTS  ;)

pierre the shy

Quote from: Edmund2011 on 07 January 2019, 12:45:52 AM
Now I'm also tempted by TTS  ;)

After our latest game of DBMM so am I.

My wargaming time is too short to waste playing rules that I find are annoyingly frustrating.....don't need to have to look in several different sections to find the answer to a reasonably straightforward question....the different outcomes depending on weither in your turn or your opponents, if you are (S) (F) or (O) etc drives me to despair  ~X(

Going to base the Burgundians I have for TTS grid rather than to DBMM sizes  :d :ar!  ;)       
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Quote from: pierre the shy on 07 January 2019, 07:48:47 AM
......don't need to have to look in several different sections to find the answer to a reasonably straightforward question....

And still get it wrong  #-o :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Quote from: mad lemmey on 01 January 2019, 10:50:29 AM
Cheerful atmosphere then?

The sign above the door says "Wines......and Spirits"  :o

Leman

Quote from: pierre the shy on 07 January 2019, 07:48:47 AM
After our latest game of DBMM so am I.

My wargaming time is too short to waste playing rules that I find are annoyingly frustrating.....don't need to have to look in several different sections to find the answer to a reasonably straightforward question....the different outcomes depending on weither in your turn or your opponents, if you are (S) (F) or (O) etc drives me to despair  ~X(

Going to base the Burgundians I have for TTS grid rather than to DBMM sizes  :d :ar!  ;)       
The main reason I now play most of the games I do. The rule systems coming from the likes of Chris Pringle, Neil Thomas, Sam Mustafa, Greg Wagman, Keith Flint, Simon Miller and so on give challenging yet playable games, with rulebooks that are easy to navigate. Even Bruce Weigle revised and smoothed out his rules, as presented in 1871, making them much more playable. Finally, although Black Powder can be a tricky rulebook  to navigate, the actual rule mechanics are pretty straightforward and give an enjoyable game. I hope that the days of wargames rules devised for those with a degree in law and a very narrow perspective are long gone.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!