Krieg 1919, Alternative History WW1 miniatures

Started by Noktu, 30 December 2018, 08:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

This is some excellent work and a great project in general, I always like seeing the models get a use outside of their 'normal' period/genre.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: Noktu on 07 February 2019, 05:23:03 PM

@Techno: How do you take your pictures?

You really don't want to know, Noktu. (It's pathetic)

I simply take one of the two digital cameras I've got.......and hand hold over what I'm trying to take......CLICK....

I usually take three piccies.....Hoping at least ONE is in approximate focus......and then send them to Leon....and probably Will (Mad Lemmy)

If I had the time, I'd take a lot more care.

Your efforts are FAR better than the stuff I send to 'Sir'...I'm quite envious. :'( :'( :'(

Cheers - Phil.

Ithoriel

I use the camera on my Samsung J3 with the subjects sat on a folded piece of A4 white card which forms a base and backdrop and is lit by two anglepoise-type lights with 870 lumen 3000k LED bulbs.

I would class most of my photos as "passable."

FWIW I think yours are better.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

07 February 2019, 07:15:53 PM #79 Last Edit: 07 February 2019, 07:17:53 PM by fred.
Your photos look good Noktu. One thing I have found with most phone cameras and point and shoot cameras is that they really struggle to get the exposure (amount of light) right when you put the figures against a white background.

If you can shoot against a more mid shade to dark shade background the photos come out better, as the auto exposure works better. Looking at the photos of the cavalry, the ones in the blue have come out better, and I wonder if it is because you have the red paint lid in the picture which will have helped the auto exposure.

As always the more light you can get on the front of the figure the better.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Quote from: Ithoriel on 07 February 2019, 06:17:30 PM
I use the camera on my Samsung J3 with the subjects sat on a folded piece of A4 white card which forms a base and backdrop and is lit by two anglepoise-type lights with 870 lumen 3000k LED bulbs.
I would class most of my photos as "passable."

Lots better than mine, Mike....Though that sounds very close to the way I took my early 'published' pics. ;D ;D ;D

I used  three 'ordinary' light bulbs (for those days)....two of which were each side..the third was over the top.....a tripod... a cable release....and a colour correction  (blue) filter to try and get something close to what I wanted.
I used to use a 'One hour' developers.

They were really good.....and I could ask them to mess around with the colour/lighting balance.

They got so used to me going in there with horsey pictures, they knew that if it was Fuji 400 ASA....It'd be 'Mr Lewis's photo's'

Blimey.....That's SO long ago. X_X

Forbes (Fred) is spot on with what he says.

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

Great detail work, you obviously lavish a lot of care on each figure!

Noktu

I can not thank you guys enough for your kind words.

I've come to the point where I've pretty much painted 5 armies ready. Just waiting for basing. Missing just a few gun crews.

Every army consists of

44 infantry, (20 Squads and 2 Scouts)

1 Command Group

4 Heavy Artillery

4 Support Tanks

4 Tanks / Walkers

3 Munition Trucks

And so far the armies have been themed to fit the following regimes.

- Deutsches Reich / Prussia - Germany

- Kaiserreich von Österreich / Austria

- Great England / United Kingdom

- Royaume de France / France

- Suur-Suomi / Greater Finland

I really want to get everything based and varnished asap so I can show you all how everything turned out. And so that I can start working on the terrain.

Just feeling really tired after work, especially on warm days. I end up on my computer or the sofa and just cant seem to get motivated to paint.

Any tips or tricks to get my concentration back on the small guys so I can get to the goal faster?

Cheers! And remember to drink loads of water!

Steve J

I just wait until the Muse is upon me, otherwise I know I will hate the act of painting. So I read books, surf the net etc or build and paint terrain. The latter gives me the painting fix but without the motivation issue, if that makes sense?

mmcv

Looking forward to seeing it all. I find sometimes just getting over the initial hump of sitting at the desk with a paintbrush in hand is enough to get the juices flowing. Or just starting on something else, some basing, or other bits and bobs can get me in the mood to get painting again. Having something to paint for helps too, planning a game for a few weeks time and working to get it done by then.

Leman

Quote from: Steve J on 25 June 2019, 02:57:12 PM
I just wait until the Muse is upon me, otherwise I know I will hate the act of painting. So I read books, surf the net etc or build and paint terrain. The latter gives me the painting fix but without the motivation issue, if that makes sense?
Oh Steve, I do that and then end up wanting to take on another project. Just about to do something like that to give me a little break from the IW. Another reason might be that I now have enough units for a 150 point Furioso test game with a friend, who can cobble togerther a French army.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

I try and do a little each day, one colour on a batch of figures

Normally once I've started I do another colour, then just one more...

Occasionally I'll do just one but then I've still done one ;)

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Noktu

Cheers for the input lads!

I found a great way to whip myself to finish this project. I ended up making an order for a bunch of medieval stuff. So I need to get done with these asap!