Krieg 1919, Alternative History WW1 miniatures

Started by Noktu, 30 December 2018, 08:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glorfindel

05 January 2019, 11:14:31 AM #30 Last Edit: 05 January 2019, 11:37:15 AM by Glorfindel
Some great ideas - thank you !

All Quiet...   Some beautiful figures but a little large and can be expensive.

The Scythe mechs look particularly useful and not too expensive.   I do like
these.

Some of the Troublemaker stuff might work :

https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/skinnerz-crusher/

https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/product-category/defeat-in-detail-6mm/skinnerz/page/2/

https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/product-category/steampunk/

The Necrons do look good but probably too big.

Thank you !  

Phil

Noktu

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll most probably incorporate all kinds of weird gimmicks as I lay my hands upon them!

For now I ordered a bunch of Dystopian Wars tanks and mechs, so stay tuned for what is to come!

Glorfindel

Noktu,

I asked a question on TMP about the availability of steampunk mechs
and received lots of very good suggestions you might be interested in.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=497854

Cheers,

Phil

Noktu

Quote from: Glorfindel on 08 January 2019, 08:56:12 PM
Noktu,

I asked a question on TMP about the availability of steampunk mechs
and received lots of very good suggestions you might be interested in.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=497854

Hey Phil!

You sir are too kind with your words. It's great that you came back with the MTP findings. Definately a bunch of helpful information for us to process!

Noktu

Heya,

Been trying to figure a colour scheme for the Saxon faction, at first I tried to go with dark gray and dark green. Wasn't a success, so I came up with this brown look.

I really do not enjoy the fact that these miniatures are so detailed, as I like to get stuff done as fast as I can to my preferred standards.

I'd really appreciate some advice about how to go on with these tanks, got 4 of them at this point. Wondering if they are ready or should I still add something?

20190121_175931 by Atte, on Flickr

20190121_175915 by Atte, on Flickr

20190121_175841 by Atte, on Flickr

20190121_175944 by Atte, on Flickr

Leman

I think those look great as they are. Too much painted detail can detract from the overall look. Did you do the bolt heads and tracks by drybrushing?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Noktu

Quote from: Leman on 21 January 2019, 04:44:42 PM
I think those look great as they are. Too much painted detail can detract from the overall look. Did you do the bolt heads and tracks by drybrushing?

Cheers! Leman, you don't think it looks bland though?

The tracks I did drybrush, but bolt heads I tend to dap with a normal brush, but if bolts are aligned and close to each other I might try to "wet" drybrush them. Also sometimes washing after highlighting can give good results.

Ithoriel

I think that looks good. I'd certainly put that on the table with no hesitation.

Bland? Nope! Just blending in with the landscape!

Honestly, looks great!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

I like how that tank looks. There is a lot of moulded detail so a monochrome scheme works, especially with the washes and dry brushing to bring out that detail.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Glorfindel

It looks excellent and you can certainly consider this very well painted.

One suggestion I have, based on many years of painting Epic miniatures,
is to change the way the bare metal areas are painted (eg the gun barrel).   

Firstly, paint all the metal areas with your favourite metal colour.   I also add
some bronze or even gold detailing.  Secondly, I cover the Boltgun and Bronze
areas with one of the dark tone inks available (GW Badab Black / Army Painter
Dark Tone / GW Nuln Oil etc).   This adds an amazing graded tone to the colour.   
Finally, highlight these metal areas with boltgun or bronze as appropriate.

These pics might help :

To give you an idea of the scale, they are sitting on UK 1 penny coins (which
are approx 2cm in diameter).   I have found this process to be so easy and so
effective, it almost feels like cheating...

Just a thought.

Phil

Terry37

You have to quit showing me all of this really cool stuff!!! I a trying so hard to finish already started projects, but your posts and pictures are making my Weird WWI French and British calling to me! But your stuff does look good!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Techno

I think they look great, already !!

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

They look great, plenty of detailing and highlights already, don't think they need anything more!

Noktu

25 January 2019, 10:03:34 PM #44 Last Edit: 25 January 2019, 10:15:05 PM by Noktu
Quote from: Terry37 on 22 January 2019, 04:43:45 AM
You have to quit showing me all of this really cool stuff!!! I a trying so hard to finish already started projects, but your posts and pictures are making my Weird WWI French and British calling to me! But your stuff does look good!

Get on working those already!

@Glorfindel: Sir! I've put your advice in immediate use, here's a few pieces where all the metallic shine has been killed with washes and have not been highlighted. Fits the World War feel better, when compared to shiny knights!

Prussian SturmFlugzeugBombardieren SFzB 3.3

2019-01-25_09-26-38 by Atte, on Flickr

And @Leman, fear not. For Saxony had a brief moment of independence, but has succumbed under Prussian rule.

The other germanic faction will instead be Austrian Empire

Kaiserreich Munitionwagen

20190125_212905 by Atte, on Flickr