Crosses and crescents and sand...Deus Vult!

Started by mmcv, 30 December 2018, 02:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

I had my Crusaders and Saracens out last night to try and tempt a friend into the wonderful world of wargaming with a game of Hail Caesar! and thought since I was set up I'd take some photos today of the figures and share them here.

Please excuse my dire photography skills and terrible lighting, but it was that or wait a few months for the sun to show it's face!

Figures are a mix of Pendraken and MM. Some of the armour and weapons are a little anachronistic, I plan to expand with more period specific units in time for different Crusades, but they provide a good look and feel for the moment and I've had a few fun games with them.

First up my generals starting with King Richard and Saladin themselves:

Grand Master Garnier de Nablus and Grand Master Robert IV de Sablé of the Hospitallers and the Templars:

Emir Muzaffar ad-Din Gökböri ("Blue Wolf") and General Al-Afdal:

I plan to add a couple more generals to this mix in future including Saphadin and Guy de Lusignan.

I'll follow up with photos of the troops at a later time when I'm at the computer as this is proving quite fiddly to do from my phone (and it's getting late)!

Norm

Clever basing, I am just about to do some leader bases, so these will help me.

Steve J

Love the diorama style bases; very nice indeed 8).

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Shedman

mmcv

Next up, the mighty Mameluke cavalry under the esteemed Saladin, Sultan of Egypt:

mmcv

Ole Dicky Lionheart here (with his infantry borrowed from Henry V):

The billmen were the first 10mm figures I ever painted, sadly not from our dear hosts.

mmcv

Al-Afdal's plucky militia troops, with some skirmishers and light archers from the Sudan:

mmcv

Now we have the Holy Orders bringing their forces to bear with Knights, Sergeants and Turcopoles:

mmcv

Last up the Sudanese forces, I'm less happy with these, especially the basing on the warbands at the back, so may rebase them at some point in the future:

mmcv

Plans for future expansion:

Crusaders
Commander: Guy de Lusignan.
A unit or two of Knights to represent the German and Frankish Knights.
Mounted Sergeants in a nice Jerusalem outfit of turquoise and yellow.
A couple of units of Medium Infantry with a mix of melee weapons and bows/crossbows and the flags of the German and Frankish crusaders.
Maybe a mob of armed pilgrims.

Saracens
Commander: Saphadin, the Sword of Faith.
More horses! Need to bolster the Saracen cavalry, especially light cavalry and will add plenty of mounted archers, Turcoman, Bedouin, camels, etc.

Not sure when I'll get back into this project, have plenty of other projects lining up, but may add a unit here and there through the coming year(s) and will record them here.