What are the rules you use ?

Started by Nicofig, 17 March 2010, 08:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

Quote from: Jubilation T Cornpone on 26 March 2010, 10:03:36 AM
I use BKC for WW2 western desert but am thinking of a BKC/Rapid fire hybrid. I use Principles of war for colonial and '45 jacobite rebellion.  Am I the only wargamer still using POW? Never hear it mentioned much but I really like it!

I use POW for ECW, ACW and Colonial - so youre not on your own!
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

nikharwood

QuoteNik,whats Bed skirmishing.....It sounds a bit like bedroom gymnastics.Oh hang on a minute Zed skirmishing,obviously something you do asleep.....

:D No comment... ;)

Last Hussar

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 18 March 2010, 05:55:41 PM
Tank formations usually advance like ships in line abreast because columns carry no positive movement modifiers unless on roads.
Why would a cross country column advance in column?  You stay in column on a road because roads have a limited width - remember major roads in the 40's were at the best what we would consider an A road in the UK nowadays- compare, say the A1 of 1942 with the modern A1 (the 'old A1 still exists- its that one that runs along side the new A1, but goes through all the towns, and is rarely more than 40 foot wide).

A tank column cross country merely presents a more predictable target, with most of the tanks unable to engage forward, for no benefit- does it really matter where you cross a field on the SH scale?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Last Hussar on 27 March 2010, 11:36:14 PMWhy would a cross country column advance in column?

Because the Germans knew what they were doing. They often advanced in double column (Doppelreihe) because it enabled them to react quickly and efficiently to any situation their recon might encounter. In case of a flank attack by (fast) T34's the double column provided the required depth for the Panzergrenadiere which could operate behind one column with fire cover from the other. In case of frontal attack they could easily spread out in well-rehearsed formations like the broad wedge (Breitkeile).

For further information you might take a peek at Panzer Tactics by Wolfgang Schneider, it's (partially) available in Google books. It has pictures, diagrams &cetera on this tactic.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

nikharwood

And it's a book definitely worth buying IMO...it's one I'm forever dipping in & out of....great pics too

Repiqueone

Grün

I use a "Song of Blades and Heroes" with most Ad ons and "Dungeon Crawl". I also use the figures for my Role-Playing-Game "DungeonSlayer"

Martyn

Try "Real Time Wargaming" rules from Realistic Modelling, each set is period specific and aimed specifically at the 10mm gamer. Not Glossy!

DanJ

QuoteQuote from: DanJ on 18 March 2010, 02:07:48 PM
Warmaster Ancients for Ancients but most of the Medieval lists and special rules are a bit "broken"

Interesting.

In what way do you think they're broken?

The WM forum had a lot of stuff on this when they first came out, but off the top of my head the main problems seem to lie in the special rules, for instance:-

The "Combined Arms" allows bows to shoot from behind heavier foot but any shooting back only ever falls on the heavier foot, a fundamental change to a basic WM mechanic and is "free" in points terms.

Longbow and Crossbow troops "down graded" to skirmishers retain their full range (twice that of other skirmish troops).

4+ save knights aren't slow.

The "knight" special rule which gives them an extra attack in their first frontal melee is free.

The army lists are too heavily biased towards Britain and Western Europe.

These issues aren't too much of a problem if you only play in period but one of the great enjoyments of WM was the ability to play out of period games, in this case the Medieval armies have too many advantages.

That said I think the rules are worth getting for the seige rules alone, which are excellent.

Dan

zaapark

I use -

Blackpowder for AWI
WH WW1
Warmaster
FWC
BKC
Rapid Fire

The reason why for all the rule set is we like to have fun gaming, realism is ok but FUN is the reason my club games.

chris
chris

slinky

Just got my copy of Warmaster off ebay today, looks like a nifty set of rules...... better finish my romans

Minenfeld

War in the Colonies for AWI, ideal for 10mm, as it uses elements and there are ony two base sizes. Authored by Steve Tulk of NLWG. I think Brookhurst in the states might have a few copies, also available for download from the Wargames Vault website.

Forlorn Hope for ECW.

Chad

WSS - Blenheim 2004 rules on Warflag site
Napoleonics - Just switched to 'Black Powder' after years of Grande Armee. May also try for other periods.

Chad

Fenton

I am still using marbles and matchsticks fired from spring loaded guns...still the best and fairest way  to go
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

DanJ

QuoteJust got my copy of Warmaster off ebay today, looks like a nifty set of rules...... better finish my romans

You should visit Rick Priestly's Warmaster web site, there are a number of semi official army lists which haven't made it into the books and also the official errata and updates.