TYW - a start

Started by rct75001, 29 December 2018, 11:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

that is indeed the TYW - the back end of it culminating in Spain's defeat at .......... nope, can't remember the name off-hand.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leman

Rocroi, that was it. The film has sword and buckler men going under the pike to get at their French opposite numbers. Not sure if Spain was still using them in 1648, but the heavily armoured mounted pistoleers that attack the Spanish pike certainly were.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mmcv

I enjoyed this on audiobook https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008BU1GT0/ref=tmm_aud_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1550665877&sr=8-2

I'm sure a little dated compared to more recent offerings (though I didn't realise it's publication date until afterwards) but a fantastic and accessible overview of the period's history.

I've had my eye on the one Fenton recommended too, looks interesting.

Fenton

It is interesting.The first 100 pages  or so are the difference between Calvinism and Lutherism   and is a little heavy going. But is fine after that
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!