How old is our oldest local?

Started by Westmarcher, 23 December 2018, 06:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Dave

The Cardinal's Hat in Worcester, UK used to be one my locals. According to their website: "The Cardinal's Hat is Worcester's oldest inn and originally dates back to the fourteenth century" - but I think that's the name and location - not the current building.  :-

Leman

Ineligible as I tend to drink out in Liverpool more than Formby thus cannot fit the criteria.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Heedless Horseman

I don't get out much now  :'( but, my old regular haunt was The Blackbird Inn, Ponteland, Nothumberland, U.K. Part of the building originated as a Border Pele Tower, sacked by the Scots in 13 something...as usual!. A Vaulted lower room, (plastered over), spiral stone staircase, tunnel to the Church, (filled in), etc. used to give me a feeling of connection to earlier days. Now...I go on the internet.  :( .

(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Techno

I've not been in a pub for years. (Must be 10 years, at least.)

When I worked in Nottingham, we'd sometimes go to a couple of the pubs that lay claim to being the oldest in the UK.
'Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem' and 'Ye Olde Salutation Inn.'

Wasn't so keen on 'The Trip'...but the 'Sal' was a very pleasant hostelry .....with some amazing caves underneath the building.

Cheers - Phil.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Techno on 25 December 2018, 08:23:10 AM
.....with some amazing caves underneath the building.

So dat wuz were youse were dug up from !!!! ;) ;D :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Used to go to those as well when I was a student at the uni. Not sure if Games Workshop was there as I graduated in 1974, but didn't wargame at all in those three years - surprise, surprise!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!