How old is our oldest local?

Started by Westmarcher, 23 December 2018, 06:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

I was watching the Christmas edition of Countryfile on BBC and the pub which is the centre of the village community goes back to 1781. This made me wonder what pub is the oldest regularly frequented by any member(s) in our esteemed forum.  We're not looking for the oldest pub in your area. We're looking for the oldest pub regulary frequented by you.

To be eligible, let's say you must visit the pub at least twice once per month for a drink and you either must live in the town or village it is situated in or the pub is not in another town or village from you, unless you live outside town (e.g., if its local but you never go in, its not eligible).*  This is not a competition - more of a survey - so even if you reside in the New World, it will still be interesting to know how old your local is.

I'll start the ball rolling ...

My local pub, The Fox & Hounds, Houston, goes back to 1779. With Great Britain at war with the fledgling United States, France and Spain in that year, I often wonder what the gossip was then. 

*If you still have a local pub which you regularly visit but which doesn't fit the eligibility requirements, feel free to mention it (but qualify your association with it)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ithoriel

Don't think there's been a pub I've visited as regularly as once a month since I ceased to be a student.

These days it's rare that I'm in the same pub twice and even rarer to be in a pub more than a handful of times a year.

Restaurants ... now that's a different thing! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

I no longer go to pubs, except for the occasional Xmas meals with friends. Our local, the Blue Bowl in Hanham, goes back to at least the English Civil War (Cromwell used it as his HQ in the siege of Bristol), but is reputed to sit on the site of a Roman inn, as it on the via Julian, a main road into Bristol.

jimduncanuk

A bit tough to answer that one when your health forces you to be teetotal.
My Ego forbids a signature.

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

I think the Kiwis are well out of the running on this one

The oldest stone building, and probably the oldest remaining building, in NZ is the Stone Store in Kerikeri which opened in 1836
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The local I grew up next to was the oldest independent brewery in the country, with a licence granted in the times of Charles I to raise revenue for the Wars
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Tuns_Brewery

I used to drink in The Old Trip to Jerusalem, the oldest pub in Britain  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Olde_Trip_to_Jerusalem
Although the Salutation and various others claim to be older, including the Old Fighting Cicks in St Albans.
(Techno, did you ever clear your tab at the Trip?)

My present local is the Wheatsheath, No way near as old, but a bit good. https://www.thewheatie.co.uk
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

I too don't think I have had a pub I frequented monthly for many years.

Strangely the local one that I have gone to most often lately, is very new, probably built in 2016, despite being called the Old Duke.
The pub nearest my house is probably from the 1890s, like much of the rest of Southport!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Nirnman

Grace Neill's in Donaghadee established 1611 as the King's Arms

SV52

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/drink/5-of-the-oldest-pubs-in-scotland/

'Refreshingly, there seems to be little argument over the fact that Ma Cameron's, a former coaching inn in Aberdeen, is the oldest in the city of Aberdeen. Well again, with the addition that only parts of the bar truly date back to its origins, in this case the snug bar at the front of the building which is said to be over 300 years old. Named for it's now famous matron, the eponymous Ma Cameron, the pub is also said to be one of the most haunted in Scotland.'
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Matt J

The Crown, building dates back to Tudor times and was a hundred house. Licensed premises since 1790, the oak above the fire place came from one of the ships of the Spanish armada.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Last Hussar

24 December 2018, 12:27:11 AM #11 Last Edit: 24 December 2018, 12:33:54 AM by Last Hussar
Not once a month but Sunjester and I do frequent the Kings Head a few times a year
http://www.kingsheadaylesbury.co.uk
It used to be more often until I moved.

1455, in case you are wondering.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No idea how old the Shrew is, but having seen maps of Oxton from 1800 it isnt that old, there were two farms and nowt else.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

When I was at Sheffield, I used to drink in the Old Queen's Head, Pond Street.

Supposedly dates to 1475.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

24 December 2018, 11:09:32 AM #14 Last Edit: 24 December 2018, 11:14:30 AM by Orcs
Techno was a regular at the Papyrus and Dates in Alexandria around 50 BC while waiting for Cleopatra  for secret assignations. in those days it was a different form of snake rather than an Asp she was interested in.  ;)

Prior to that he used to regularly get "rat arsed" at Stone Henge during the Summer Solstice celebrations, before dancing naked round the stones   :-& :-&.  But I am not sure you can count a stone ring as a public house.  :)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson