Music from the Elderdays

Started by d_Guy, 22 December 2018, 05:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

It is a strange morning. The wind sweeps down from the mountains bringing a hint of a promise of snow and I sit in a recliner on our sun porch, shawl across my knees, drinking hot chocolate and waiting for Spring. I find myself humming a catchy tune from the half remembered past, a Scots Christmas tune, "Gies Us A Fag, Mate, Is It Nae Christmas?"

I am overwhelmed with nostalgia (and neuralgia as well, but that is a different tail) and cast my mind back to the Elderdays. In the mountains where I was born we received two TV signals (three if one held the antenna just right). One station, my favorite, showed both the Mickey Mouse Club, and late at night, black and white movies set during the British Raj. I first heard the song, sung by Scottish soldiers celebrating the season in some Forlorn post.

At last I have found a recording:

Sleep with clean hands ...

Westmarcher

;D ;D ;D   Quite good!

p.s. you been on the moonshine, again?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

sunjester

fsn

Anything with Sean Connery in it is to be admired.  :x
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

As far as nostalgia is concerned...Anyone else remember Captain Kirk's version of 'Lucy in the sky, with diamonds' ?

Cheers - Phil

Womble67

Quote from: Techno on 23 December 2018, 08:28:36 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

As far as nostalgia is concerned...Anyone else remember Captain Kirk's version of 'Lucy in the sky, with diamonds' ?

Cheers - Phil

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

If that seems too much, look for Mr Spock singing his The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins. But have some strong drink on hand to recover afterwards.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

ronan

Quote from: fsn on 23 December 2018, 08:04:56 AM
Anything with Sean Connery in it is to be admired.  :x

I agree, but Zardoz ...  :-\

Techno

I've still got a cassette 'somewhere' that has Capitol Radio's BOTTOM THIRTY...From about 35 years ago. when Kenny Everett was a 'DJ'.

There are some absolute classics on that, as far as totally 'naff' is concerned.

Kitty......I can remember 'Mr Spock's' contribution with a song called (I think)......."Where....ere...ere...is love".
I'm sure I'm correct that the No.1....(the worst ever song) was by Reggie Bosanquet.....The old 'news at 10' presenter.

GOOD FIND, Andy.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

Excellent stuff, gentlemen!

Moonshine has lost some of its luster. It is now sold in the most trendy likker boutiques (in the requisite mason jar no less) all decorated with fancy labels and the correct government revenue stamps. Even the threat of lead poisoning has been removed! As a backwoods business it has been largely replaced by raising cannabis (which will soon itself be replaced by big business, such is the American way). It's hard for a man to make an honest living.

Zadoz! Dang! An image that can not be unseen.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Keep misreading this thread title as 'Music from the Elderberries!'
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

David Bowie, before he fell to earth.  :-bd

Much better than "Music from the Dingleberries"  :D