Blue Bonnets...

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 21 December 2018, 03:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hi all,
What/which colours would you use for Scots blue bonnets (waits for Mal gif quote from Firefly, where's Harwood when you need him?);

Okay, its bonnets For highlanders and Lowlanders in the '45?
I have Cerulean (too  bright shade, but first recognised in 1590) blue, sky blue (too pure) and Luftwaffe field grey (too grey, I guess).
Any guesses? Names, brands and paint numbers would help too.
Thanks in advance.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

21 December 2018, 04:00:59 PM #1 Last Edit: 21 December 2018, 04:04:21 PM by Ithoriel
Your wish is my command :)

I imagine bonnets would turn a variety of shades of blue in a short period of time.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

SV52

In Scottish Gaeldom the commonest blue dyestuffs were:
Blaeberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) with alum or copperas
Elderberry (Sambucus nigra) with alum

Woad as a source of blue was not grown in Scotland though it would have been available for import from England - at a price, similarly indigo.

I would imagine that more or less any shade would do, impossible I reckon for anyone to state a definitive colour. 
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

T13A

Hi

For my 1640/50s Covenanters I simply mix a mid blue and a light blue to give various shades. I suspect that's about as close as you can get.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

That is brilliant guys, thank you.

And thank you Mike for the gif.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

I use Vallejo 963 Medium Blue dry brushed with 943 Grey Blue
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Westmarcher

As has been alluded to above, you can probably get away with any shade of mid to dark blue. I'm currently using Vallejo Prussian Blue but only because I currently have it in my paint box! You could even consider colours that would represent dyes not taking, like this link below which illustrates a kind of purply blue.
http://www.antheads.co.uk/galguide/covenanter
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

I understand that fixing a blue so it keeps original brilliance is a challenge even to Scottish ingenuity. (The mordant canna' take it, Captain. I canna' alter the laws o' chemistry! )
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

Lemmey, A good question. My take is that it would not be a single defined shade. I personally would avoid to dark of a blue, and also avoid in "brilliant" shades. I do know form research that lowland bonnets were typically larger than highland bonnets, but this is a no count in painting figures.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 21 December 2018, 10:48:39 PM
I use Vallejo 963 Medium Blue dry brushed with 943 Grey Blue

For what its worth I have just posted some pictures of the Covenant cavalry that Paul painted for me - they are in bonnets.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17480.msg269270/topicseen.html#msg269270
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Duke Speedy of Leighton