Digging for Britain

Started by mollinary, 19 December 2018, 09:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Wow!  Just WOW!   Currently watching Digging for Britain on BBC4. It is centred on the discovery of an Iron Age Chariot Burial in Yorskshire. Simply fascinating. Watch it on BBC iPlayer.   An absolute MUST!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Matt J

Agreed was cracking program!
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Maenoferren

My wife told me about it... never got to see it , she recorded it  though  :D
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Steve J

Watched the first episode last night and some good stuff there. Looking forward to the final programme though :)

Hwiccee

A first class series with many interesting items. It has also been going for a number of tears and the previous years episodes are worth tracking down.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Glorfindel

Excellent programme.   Well worth watching.

On a side issue, I think that Dr Alice Roberts has now deposed Bettany Hughes...

Phil

Bernie

Yes, Alice Roberts is an excellent host to this programme

fred.

I did enjoy this - the chariot burial was very special. And the welsh hill 'fort' that they are much less sure is a fort now they have excavated the walls.

I'm not entirely buying the hypothesis that pre-roman Britain was an idyllic place with no violence and everyone lived in excellent conditions. But it does seem there was a much greater level of civilisation than the Romans implied in their histories.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Quote from: fred. on 21 December 2018, 09:39:54 AM
And the welsh hill 'fort' that they are much less sure is a fort now they have excavated the walls.

There's a supposed 'hill fort'  about half a mile from Techno Towers.

Looks like a whole load of stones have been carried up to 'the top of the hill' and just dumped there.
There is, however, a cromlech that's on the other side of the road....about four hundred yards away from us.
It's either in a very bad state (collapsed)...Or was one that was never 'finished'.....So that makes the hill fort hypothesis sound a lot more convincing.
The stream (over the road) would have given 'the fort' access to water.

I'd love to go and have a 'dig' around the cromlech.....If I had the time....and my back wasn't so fekked. ;)..
I'd also love to do a bit of metal 'detectoring' in a couple of our fields across the road.

Anyone want a golden torc ?  ;)

Cheers - Phil

fred.

The hill fort was interesting - it is a very big enclosed area I think 14 hectares was mentioned. There were multiple layers of walls, the oldest being simple wood, then a low stone wall (2'-3' feet) and finally the much bigger stone wall, several feet high and wide with a ditch beyond. The amount of stone need to make the final wall is huge, so the labour to get that in place must have been really significant - which seems odd for just a field enclosure, which the earlier walls point to.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

There's a really great recreation of a hill fort at Castell Henllys...about 5 miles from us,

There are recreations of roundhouses (where they were, all those centuries ago) and oodles of other stuff......and it's b*gger to go round the 'spiral' to the top of the hill.
This particular recreation can only be a hectare or so....if that.

The stone walls that have been exposed are SO, SO neat.

One of the 'guides' that we spoke to once, pointed 'over the road'.......A mile (?) away, to a higher hill where 'they' were going to do an excavation when funds permitted, as the theory was that the one the over 'other side' of the road was the 'headquarters'....and Castell Henllys was an 'overflow' from the main fort.

Cheers - Phil

Wulf

Quote from: Glorfindel on 20 December 2018, 02:45:52 PM
On a side issue, I think that Dr Alice Roberts has now deposed Bettany Hughes...
I've been especially fond of her since she presented a medical program of some sort, had a scan done on her own body, and pointed to the x-ray like image on the screen, smiled at the camera sweetly, and proclaimed "There it is, my vagina, on national television. My mum would be so proud!"

T13A

Hi

Dr Alice Roberts was one of the Time Team crew from about 2001.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Leman

She used to work with my sister-in-law back in her Bristol days. Was a very enjoyable programme, but I remembers she was also very good on the original iterations of Coast.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!