Substitutions for dismounted Franco Prussian cavalry

Started by lentulus, 18 December 2018, 01:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lentulus

Since I don't think the request for dismount FPW cavalry will come to anything, has anyone played with plausible replacement figures?  Perhaps US Cavalry in kepi for French Hussars?  I am up for suggestions.

And before you say it never happened, Bonie cites the 12th Dragoons at Spicheren with two squadrons fighting dismounted before charging successfully as part of the rear guard.  Rare, yes, but I plan to use a variant of Regimental Fire and Fury so squadrons will actually be meaningful units.

Leman

I have used the following:

Pendraken - WWI German dismounted hussars, dragoons and uhlans - uniforms practically identical
                  WWI French dismounted dragoons
                  ACW Union dismounted cavalry - use as is for French hussars and Chasseurs d'Afrique in the later low shako (all but the bugler
                          are modelled like this in the mounted version). A little green stuff to the head gives a good dismounted French Chasseur
                          a Cheval.

Cracker Line - I have used the infantry in greatcoat with a French dragoon head swap for dismounted French dragoons in winter gear.
                     As they are wearing the kepi some can be left like this, as the kepi was adopted by some of the dragoons as the war progressed,
                     and of course they can also make excellent dismounted French light cavalry who wore the kepi, or again modelled as winter
                     dismounted Chasseur a Cheval.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

And the (half-hearted) attempt to break out from Metz, the battle of Noisseville, "saw a rare instance of French cavalry dismounting to fight as infantry, when Clérembault's dragoon division attacked first Colombey, then Coincy". So go on, treat yourself to a division's worth of dismounted dragoons.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/