Would you cut wooden figures

Started by Last Hussar, 13 December 2018, 08:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Somebody mentioned Commission Figurines for box trays.  He also cuts 6mm Napoleonics/ACW as a sort of '3 dimensional flat'.  I'm looking at those going "Hmm I fancy that idea" but ideally would prefer it in the Real Wargame Size  ;)

Would this be easy for you to set up? What are we looking at as a start up cost?

http://www.commission-figurines.co.uk/page23.html
(You'll have to enable Flash though)

http://flownlegions.blogspot.com/2015/05/saxons-vorwarts.html
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leon

I've seen the figures and it's a cracking idea by Walt.  They're pretty labour-intensive on the machine though, the engraving that's needed to leave the backpacks embossed takes a decent length of time on the 6mm's so I don't think it would be cost-effective in 10mm.

Walt's a really nice guy so you could always drop him an email and see if he thinks it would be viable?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Last Hussar

Somebody did on facebook, and he didn't commit. The best he offered was a 'you never know'.  What if the packs were cut seperately to be glued on if you wanted them? I'm given to understand dropping the back pack was am order, which basically meant expect to get up close and personal.

I have emailed him re trays, but he hasn't got back in 2-3 days. Is it a sideline over his day time job?

I am very tempted, but 6mm is a little too small for me. I don't feel it looks as good as 10mm (well 1:155)(1700 / 11)

GNU PTerry

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 13 December 2018, 11:32:26 PM
I am very tempted, but 6mm is a little too small for me. I don't feel it looks as good as 10mm (well 1:155)(1700 / 11)

But your used to handling very small things. :D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

What if the packs were cut seperately to be glued on if you wanted them? I'm given to understand dropping the back pack was am order, which basically meant expect to get up close and personal.

Not sure on that, the benefit of the engraving was that it limits the overall depth of the figure to the width of material, so 2mm ish front to back (1mm for the figure + 1mm for the backpack roughly).  If you make a separate backpack then you're dealing with 4mm depth which might look a bit odd?  Not sure on that.  I don't think it's something that we'd be looking to do, the time/costs in the laser machine are the same, if not higher, than casting them in metal so when you combine that with a lower quality/detail model, I don't think it would be economical for the customers.

I have emailed him re trays, but he hasn't got back in 2-3 days. Is it a sideline over his day time job?

Not sure on that one I'm afraid, I don't know if he's still working a day job.  Are you using the commission@ email address?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

I used this one
   commission@btinternet.com

Pretty sure I haven't had a reply, though with the way Gmail insists on being "helpful" it could well be hidden in another folder upon arrival.

I'm sure I saw a reply here about they look good.

Seriously torn. Really want 10mm, but with the painting and cost is long term.

I can do an interim army for under £50 I reckon, and painting will be easier - looking at 'paint pens' - I'd have more control than a brush.

GNU PTerry

commission

Ta Leon. I appreciate that.
You're one of the good guys too!
And having tried 10mm myself you are completely on the ball. Quite a bit more intensive and the deep engraving is too rough! Hence 6mm all the way (well 8/9mm. Lol)
Oh and yes there is a full time, demandind job as well.
Oh yeh and not forgetting a wife that actually wants to spend time with me!  =)

Last Hussar

Forgive me Leon, for I have sinned...

Just arranging some samples.

GNU PTerry

Leon

Quote from: commission on 14 December 2018, 10:11:43 PM
Ta Leon. I appreciate that.

No worries, happy to help!

Quote from: Last Hussar on 14 December 2018, 10:19:44 PM
Just arranging some samples.

Excellent, good to hear you got sorted.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Last Hussar

Quote from: FierceKitty on 15 December 2018, 01:26:34 AM
U mean you're IQ, Shirley?

Nope. One of us punctuated correctly.

It wasn't Orcs.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

How much wood would Leon cut if Leon could cut wood?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

How much lean would Leon lean if Leon leaned online.

GNU PTerry

Shutuphippie

Howdy,

Walt at Commission Figurines is indeed a superb chap.

He normally comes to our club but has just changed jobs and is away from home 4-5 days a week at the minute on training courses etc

I'm sure he'll get back to you when he gets 5 minutes

Andy
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!