"The Cockpit Of Europe" ... no not Belgium

Started by Ithoriel, 12 December 2018, 08:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Last Hussar on 13 December 2018, 11:25:48 PM
Ah, so you don't know where you can find a mighty tasty burger then,

Only burgers I eat now are ones I made myself.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Last Hussar

I do a pork and apple with stilton.

If you are ever near me (and Sunjester) in Bucks I know a really good pub that does fantastic burgers.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leman

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 13 December 2018, 09:05:39 PM
Not having seen that picture I don't know what you are talking about.

As in the scene where his girlfriend asks who Zed is, Willis replies, "Zed's dead." That was never going to work as "Zee's dee." As for burgers, even as a kid I could not understand most people's fascination for the greasy, gristley unpleasantness between two pieces of the poorest quality bread going. I haven't had one for over forty years.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Point taken in the UK; but an American once took me out in Joysey for the thing as it should be; real American burgers have no need to hide their faces, believe me.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

TBH when I would have liked to have visited the US I couldn't afford it. Now I have little desire to go there - doubtless I would be strung up for being a liberal atheist. Does Canada also do decent burgers?

d_Guy

As both of our coasts are rife with liberal atheists you would likely be marginally safe. Uh - do you actually look like Bob Marley?
Generally all of North American knows how to do decent hamburgers IMHO.
Thanks for dragging us into this BTW.
Sleep with clean hands ...

FierceKitty

14 December 2018, 08:22:02 PM #36 Last Edit: 14 December 2018, 08:25:39 PM by FierceKitty
Last night's dinner was Cumberland sausages in cream sauce with apples. The recipe is Norman, but the sausages were English, and very yummy too.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

You have no idea what's in there. I look nothing like Bob, apart from the smile. These days I look more like Floki out of Vikings, including a head tat. Slightly darker than the average Brit owing to some Spanish heritage (which also wouldn't go down well with a certain blonde of German descent).

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

Leman

Here's a thought: when I was a teacher one of my responsibilities was Careers Education. The main thrust of many of my lessons was helping the pupils to develop their skills of enquiry. One of my exercises was to give the class a list of film titles, mostly 1930s/40s b/w films I had watched on the TV as a kid, eg Captains Courageous. Using just the film title (in lieu of a job title) the pupils had to rank them in the order they'd most like to watch them. Once this was done they were then given a description of each film and then asked to rank them again. With the additional information they were now able to make a much more informed decision about their choice. In every single lesson  and for every single pupil the lists now came out differently. I felt I had helped the pupils understand the concept of finding out about something before making a decision that could potentially affect the rest of their lives. Sound familiar?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Do you still have the list, it would be fascinating to try it! 8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Norm

17 December 2018, 10:52:49 AM #41 Last Edit: 17 December 2018, 10:58:27 AM by Norm
Quote from: Leman on 17 December 2018, 09:49:00 AM
Once this was done they were then given a description of each film and then asked to rank them again. With the additional information they were now able to make a much more informed decision about their choice.

It is however at this point that there could be a dozen different 'interpretations' of help offered by a dozen different people. People are as open to confusion of conflicting 'help' today, just as much as they were 2 years ago. I assume that somewhere the one true right answer exists - if only there was someone to shine a light in that particular corner. It seems that the solutions to the current matter are rather like wargame rules, there are many sets that promise to be the 'the one for you'.

I look forward to the analysis of the history books that will flood the market for the 50th anniversary of Brexit .... oh wait! :-)

paulr

Quote from: Leman on 17 December 2018, 09:49:00 AM
Here's a thought: when I was a teacher one of my responsibilities was Careers Education. The main thrust of many of my lessons was helping the pupils to develop their skills of enquiry. One of my exercises was to give the class a list of film titles, mostly 1930s/40s b/w films I had watched on the TV as a kid, eg Captains Courageous. Using just the film title (in lieu of a job title) the pupils had to rank them in the order they'd most like to watch them. Once this was done they were then given a description of each film and then asked to rank them again. With the additional information they were now able to make a much more informed decision about their choice. In every single lesson  and for every single pupil the lists now came out differently. I felt I had helped the pupils understand the concept of finding out about something before making a decision that could potentially affect the rest of their lives. Sound familiar?

What a great approach, I hope that at least some of them did actually get the point
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

It's a pity that a substantial number of our politicians don't get the point and are seemingly ignorant of the multiplicity of forms democracy can take.