Thirty Years War by C.V. Wedgewood

Started by mmcv, 10 December 2018, 07:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Just finished the unabridged audiobook recording of Cicely Veronica Wedgewood's Thirty Years War.

It provided a superb narrative history of the conflict and the myriad political and religious webs that wove through it. Wedgewood's narrative style is clear and approachable, providing detailed information without losing the thread of the story. She does a good job at providing equal attention to all the people and events rather than glorification of a few key players as some narratives can tend to.

The production value of the audio book version is also very good.

I only realised after finishing that it was published in 1938, which made the author's closing reflections on the lessons learned (or not learned) from the legacy of the conflict all the more poignant.

I heartily recommend it to anyone interested in the period, or history at all. I was pleased to find she has written a number of other historical books, including a number on the English Civil Wars. While sadly not available on audiobook, I have found a few second hand copies of the books online and am eagerly awaiting their arrival.

FierceKitty

Her history of the ECW is still very highly regarded, and certainly readable.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Hwiccee

SV52

Yup, a good read.  Her ECW trilogy (King's Peace, King's War and Trial of Charlie I)  pretty good too.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

mmcv

Quote from: Hwiccee on 11 December 2018, 09:41:06 AM
Yes a good book. You should try https://www.amazon.co.uk/Europes-Tragedy-History-Thirty-Years/dp/0141006145 for an excellent more modern view.

Thanks for the recommendation Hwiccee, I've added it to "The List".

I have a couple of her ECW books on the way - Kings War and Kings Peace. Also have her Battlefields in Britain ordered, which looks to cover the major battles from Hastings to Culloden.

They'll hopefully arrive in time for some Christmas reading!  :D