Sound of the wind on another planet.

Started by Westmarcher, 08 December 2018, 07:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Raider4 on 14 April 2021, 08:41:14 AM
Agreed, there's something just horribly . . . odd . . . about them. No eyes and that strange mouth(?) at the front.

A small price to pay for immortality.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno II on 14 April 2021, 11:31:23 AM
And there's probably oodles of them within a few yards of you.

Most of them are only half a mm in size, so don't have nightmares.  ;) (The biggest are 1.5mm..apparently.)

I think Leon should get me to make a giant one for the sci-fi range.

Cheers - Phil. ;)

There's a sheep-sized statue of one in the Harlemmermeer (Near Amsterdam).
Those wacky provincial Netherlanders would regularly paint in in garish colours.

For context, life-size model cow painting is an established hobby there.
Many small towns and villages having a dedicated herd.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: DecemDave on 15 April 2021, 05:53:26 PM
I've been waiting to move on from the 5th until the 7th edition was available free online. 

http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG.net/History/OLDWRG/Ancients007.pdf 

They say it rewards generalship instead of grasp of the rule minutiae.  Where's the fun in that?

Spoiler, it doesn't.
Just a different set of rule minutiae.

Thank the tardigrades for DBA.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: ianrs54 on 16 April 2021, 07:06:24 AM
Gauntlet runs/ran a very succesful 6th edition comp but the players are getting very elderly.

They're not old, that's the effect of 12 hour's of hand-calculating 6th edition reaction tests.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno II on 19 April 2021, 05:04:37 PM
It IS really impressive.....even if it only flew for a short spell. :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

I'm not sure that-alone constitutes success.
I prefer to concentrate on the quality of landing.

For example the USA put men on the moon, but significantly, brought them all back home again.

Ithoriel

Every landing you walk away from is a good one! :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Quote from: Ithoriel on 20 April 2021, 02:00:57 PM
Every landing you walk away from is a good one! :D

First rule of flying: Landings = Take-offs

Raider4

20 April 2021, 02:18:01 PM #97 Last Edit: 20 April 2021, 02:20:32 PM by Raider4
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 20 April 2021, 01:09:27 PM
The little green men tried to launch an Edgar Rice Burroughs society, but recruitment proved difficult.
All the avid readers were already members of the H.G.Wells fan club.

Mars - the only planet populated entirely by robots . . .

From XKCD:

DecemDave

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 20 April 2021, 01:28:04 PM
Thank the tardigrades for DBA.

Proof then that Tardigrades have their own language from which our own human English has evolved!

They are also brilliant marketeers- I bought both the 3.0 book and the 3.0 which occupies much of Sue Barkers book.  Duh!

Leon

Quote from: Raider4 on 20 April 2021, 02:18:01 PM
Mars - the only planet populated entirely by robots . . .

I really hope that they bring the Rover back at some point and put it in NASA headquarters for visitors.  It developed a real humanity while it was active and it's final message was heartbreaking for a robot.  I still think of it up there all alone and waiting for someone to come and rescue it.  I keep hoping that if another robot/drone can locate it and clear the dust off the solar panels, then it might be able to get enough power to start working again.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leon on 20 April 2021, 09:42:47 PM
I really hope that they bring the Rover back at some point and put it in NASA headquarters for visitors.  It developed a real humanity while it was active and it's final message was heartbreaking for a robot.  I still think of it up there all alone and waiting for someone to come and rescue it.  I keep hoping that if another robot/drone can locate it and clear the dust off the solar panels, then it might be able to get enough power to start working again.

This might be a good time to ask the gallery whether there's a market for 10mm explorer robots.
And an accompanying pack of pioneering space colonists.

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 21 April 2021, 11:15:38 AM
This might be a good time to ask the gallery whether there's a market for 10mm explorer robots.
And an accompanying pack of pioneering space colonists.

Yes we already have the Aliens to kill them. :d
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

DecemDave

Raider4

Quote from: DecemDave on 21 April 2021, 12:36:44 PM
But no tardigrades yet    :(

So, you want a miniature figure made at 1/150 of an animal that's only 0.5mm long in real life?

DecemDave

Good Point.  I guess I'll just have to use scattered Mars like sand on an MDF base to represent real ones .     ;)