Z gauge buildings

Started by Last Hussar, 08 December 2018, 08:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

There is a school  of thought here about using 6mm/1:300 buildings with 10mm

Has anyone considered Z gauge, 1:220?
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Westmarcher

08 December 2018, 09:08:05 AM #1 Last Edit: 08 December 2018, 09:43:15 AM by Westmarcher
For me, using reduced or lower scale buildings is about fooling the eye to achieve an aesthetically pleasing result and it is only on closer inspection that the difference becomes apparent. Z scale buildings with 10mm might work - I've never tried it - but obviously the larger the scale disparity, the less likely it will be to trick the eye. Personally, I would only consider going one scale down (e.g., 15mm figs./10mm buildings, 10mm figs./6mm buildings) so it would be unlikely that I would use Z scale with 10mm figs..

Note: But see next two posts! :-[
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

But Hussar's suggestion is using buildings which are less of a reduction than 1:300, surely?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

08 December 2018, 09:40:21 AM #3 Last Edit: 08 December 2018, 09:46:45 AM by Westmarcher
Yikes!  :-[  So it is FK! Thank you for pointing that out (d'oh!  ;D  ... more proof that I'm getting older and more doddery ... mutter, mutter). I now realise I was comparing N scale with Z scale, in my mind.

I now declare that Z scale should therefore work better than 1/300(!)   m/

... going to make myself a strong cup of coffee now .... perhaps that will help to wake me up ....
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

I know what you mean. I increasingly feel like calling Henry Crun "youngster".
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Last Hussar

Better increase the order for Nobbys pills, looks like West marcher will soon be needing them.

So nobody's tried Z gauge then?
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry