Undercoating in cold weather.

Started by Last Hussar, 08 December 2018, 07:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Now I can't spray undercoat, what do I do? What paint for brush undercoat, as acrylics don't work very well?
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Norm

Hammerite do a special 'metals' brush on primer, it is brown and designed to deal with slippery surface such as lead. If you look at the third picture down on the below link, there is a photo of the tin  product.  It is one of those odour products.

Once dry, I use black vallejo primer, which is designed for airbrushes, so is very thin and ideal for brushing on and giving a thorough coating.

I use this because it is effective and because I want to minimise solvent fums etc.

LINK

https://commanders.simdif.com/gaming-table_2.html

Last Hussar

Going to look for special metal primer. Thanks.

Now if only there was something we could do with 'special' forum user...
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leman

Thanks Norm. I remember Martin mentioning something about this over lunch in Warrington a while ago, but had forgotten exactly what the paint was called.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

I've primed in our garage at around 6-10 degrees with no problems, using Army Painter black primer. I just keep the spray can and figures in the house and then pop to the garage to spray. No problems so far...

fred.

Last winter I switch to brush on primers. I have been using pebeo studio black gesso - which despite going on thickly dries to a nice thin coat. And Vallejo grey primer (this is a very light grey nearish to white, not a mid-grey)

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

petercooman

I use a variety of brush on paints, mainly house paints from the DIY store.

Levis tester tubes are actually pretty good value and last a while, and are dead matt!

SV52

Quote from: Steve J on 08 December 2018, 09:45:39 AM
I've primed in our garage at around 6-10 degrees with no problems, using Army Painter black primer. I just keep the spray can and figures in the house and then pop to the garage to spray. No problems so far...

Same here, using Halfords' white undercoat.  If only one or two they get brushed indoors.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 08 December 2018, 07:10:32 AM
Now I can't spray undercoat, what do I do? What paint for brush undercoat, as acrylics don't work very well?

I have never had a problem priming in acrylic, have used black, white and the Vallejo Primer.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

Quote from: fred. on 08 December 2018, 09:53:55 AM
I have been using pebeo studio black gesso - which despite going on thickly dries to a nice thin coat.

I second the black gesso, its easy to blob on with a biggish brush and shrinks into the details as it dries, so even though it's a bit more monotonous and time consuming than spraying, it's easy to do in front of the TV without worrying too much about the details. Provides a nice surface to paint on and comes in white and grey too if that's your preference.

Nick the Lemming

I've used gesso for years now, available in white, grey, or black, depending on what you normally prefer. 

steve_holmes_11

A friend who makes aircraft models mentioned that an airbrush is the answer in cold conditions.

Noktu

12 January 2019, 01:14:42 PM #13 Last Edit: 12 January 2019, 02:00:24 PM by Noktu
I've sprayed with Citadel Corax White can in -5 celsius with little to no problems. But the weather has to be calm. And all you need to do is be fast, miniatures out - spray - miniatures back in to dry.

FierceKitty

I hope this isn't too much of a deviation, but why does black undercoat sometimes bloom through and wreck a paint job? It seems a hazard with certain colours in particular; scarlet and orange seem vulnerable.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.