Undercoating in cold weather.

Started by Last Hussar, 08 December 2018, 07:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

"Not to much of a deviation"?
On this Forum?  ;D ;D ;D

It is a vaild point, it is about undercoating. 

Can't help you though, I don't use black, as it stops me seeing the details. Also painting Prussians, I can't tell what I've already done.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Shecky

13 January 2019, 04:11:03 AM #16 Last Edit: 13 January 2019, 04:12:57 AM by Shecky
Quote from: FierceKitty on 12 January 2019, 11:55:48 PM
I hope this isn't too much of a deviation, but why does black undercoat sometimes bloom through and wreck a paint job? It seems a hazard with certain colours in particular; scarlet and orange seem vulnerable.

It has something to do with the pigments.  I recently learned the way to fix this is to paint the area grey or tan first.  I've picked up a number of great painting techniques on the Tabletop Minions YouTube site. It tends to favor 40k which I don't play but I do find the content interesting and useful.

https://youtu.be/gLbd4_RSwU8

FierceKitty

I've found a white undercoat on the bright areas works. But it's obviously extra labour, and so a horror to my soul.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Noktu

I hope this isn't too much of a deviation, but why does black undercoat sometimes bloom through and wreck a paint job? It seems a hazard with certain colours in particular; scarlet and orange seem vulnerable.

From my understanding lighter colours are transparent, when darker ones are opaque. For that reason I use a white/gray undercoat. But that also means you'll have to put more time to painting to get everything covered.

Ben Waterhouse

Use brown, keeps figures bright in 10mm.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Last Hussar

I usually use grey.
Black eats light so can't see detail, and hard to cover.
White reflects too much mm light, so hides detail.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry