Greetings from Belfast!

Started by mmcv, 06 December 2018, 11:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nirnman

Cameron is still active in the Ulster Wargames Society and he introduced me to wargaming proper using Peter Laing figures.
They were for Marlburian wars and I still have the original home produced on an A5 piece of paper lol

mmcv

The LoA and Malburian figures are excellent, I'm considering mixing in some LoA command figures with my ECW regiments for a bit if variety. Leon kindly sent me some samples with my last order and reckon some of them will fit well. No doubt I will be tempted to do one of the conflicts properly in the future! What rule set are you thinking of using, Nirnman?

paulr

These commanders are a mix of LoA and ECW command figures
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17480.msg268402.html#msg268402

A shim under the ECW figures addresses the size difference
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: paulr on 02 January 2019, 12:27:04 AM
These commanders are a mix of LoA and ECW command figures
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17480.msg268402.html#msg268402

A shim under the ECW figures addresses the size difference

Excellent thanks, I've a couple of the LoA infantry command and they sit nicely with the ECW infantry, but hadn't seen how the cavalry match up, will have to include some with my next order along with more of the infantry command.

fred.

In general I'd say the LoA cavalry and ECW cavalry aren't that compatible, the LoA horses are quite a lot bigger, as much in bulk and length as in height. They would work on the same table, but not in the same unit.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

Quote from: fred. on 02 January 2019, 07:29:21 PM
In general I'd say the LoA cavalry and ECW cavalry aren't that compatible, the LoA horses are quite a lot bigger, as much in bulk and length as in height. They would work on the same table, but not in the same unit.

I'll just be using them for command stands, not mixing regular troops into the units, so should be grand on their own.

I've found in the past that so long as they're not side by side on a stand, slight size and bulk difference isn't a big deal.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Fenton on 01 January 2019, 12:14:21 PM
Fun times with Cameron Robinson and Dave Allsop

Would this Cameron be the same Cameron who came over to Edinburgh every year for our show Claymore and we spent more money on beer than on Freikorps figures?

Jim Duncan
My Ego forbids a signature.

mollinary

Quote from: Nirnman on 01 January 2019, 10:34:10 AM
However, having played "To The Strongest" the ancient rule set equivalent to FK&P I have decided to stay with "To Kill a King" supplement to Black Powder. this is mainly because my hope, for opponent, will not use FK&P. and I have had a 28mm NMA for over fifteen Years that has never seen action.

Hi Ninman, Could you share your hoped for opponent's problem with FK&P? Is it the grid, or does he/she have problems wth the historical accuracy or gameplay?  Always happy to hear constructive criticism. Either way, I hoe you enjoy finally getting your NMA troops on the table, I know I had a great time ultimately getting all my 10mm forces onto the table after a similar time gap!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Fenton

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 02 January 2019, 08:07:01 PM
Would this Cameron be the same Cameron who came over to Edinburgh every year for our show Claymore and we spent more money on beer than on Freikorps figures?

Jim Duncan

Probably
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Sunray

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 02 January 2019, 08:07:01 PM

Jim Duncan

At one level you can dismiss him as an Ulster redneck. 

Then again you have to applaud the fact that he got into his wee van,  took the ferry and attended not just Claymore, but the circuit of GB war game shows.   Cameron was never in it for the £. 

It was hard going in those pre- internet days.  A small war game business based in a remote backwater  (sorry North Down- there goes my Cultra dinner party invites  )  had only the war game publications to advertise  - so unless they established a presence at the shows, they struggled for sales.

Fenton

Cameron kept the UWS alive as well and always entertained us at the yearly club auction. But yes he certainly did the miles in regards to making  Freikorp and Platoon 20 a success
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

Cameron was one of a handful of traders regularly attending shows I went to who I made a point of having a brief chat with ... only to leave the stall with figures I didn't need bought with cash I didn't have for projects I hadn't realised I was about to start :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Sunray

Quote from: Ithoriel on 03 January 2019, 10:47:45 AM
Cameron was one of a handful of traders regularly attending shows I went to who I made a point of having a brief chat with ... only to leave the stall with figures I didn't need bought with cash I didn't have for projects I hadn't realised I was about to start :)

;D 

Nirnman

Hi Ninman, Could you share your hoped for opponent's problem with FK&P? Is it the grid, or does he/she have problems wth the historical accuracy or gameplay?  Always happy to hear constructive criticism. Either way, I hoe you enjoy finally getting your NMA troops on the table, I know I had a great time ultimately getting all my 10mm forces onto the table after a similar time gap!

Mollinary my opponent who shall remain nameless has already made his disagreements "to the strongest " very clear to the writer and he is carrying over these doubts to FK&Pas it is basically the same system. therefore if I want to game this period we will use the rules that he wants to use or my figures may spend the next umpteen years again sitting on a shelf lol

mollinary

Thanks for the reply, sorry if I have  touched a raw nerve.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!