Greetings from Belfast!

Started by mmcv, 06 December 2018, 11:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Hey forum people,

I'm new to the hobby this past year and after dabbling about in a number of scales, fell in love with the mighty 10mm.  Not sure why it took me so long to find the hobby as I've always been a bit of a history geek!  :D

Having spent the summer building Crusader and Saracen armies I've moved onto the ECW and having great fun putting some forces together and learning more about the period.

Anyway, I've been lurking for a while now and thought it high time I signed up and said hello!

Regards,

Matthew

paulr

Welcome  :-h

I'm in the middle of an ECW project so am interested to hear about your project
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Welcome aboard and all. :) You've chosen a couple of good periods to start with.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Hi paulr,

I've been following your project recently and enjoying your photos and posts! Like yourself I've been pondering basing quite a bit and though I've painted up a number of units haven't based any. Playing around with magnets, sabots and sizing think I've finally settled on something I like. It's not too far from what you have yourself, though I've gone a bit denser with the figures for more mass effect. I've just put in a new order so will have to start putting some proper bases together while I wait on it!

mmcv

Hi FierceKitty,

Yes I've been enjoying them as they're periods I didn't know a huge amount about before starting, so researching and learning a bit more about them is a fun part of the process!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mmcv

Ithoriel

Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum.

As an erstwhile lurker you'll at least have some idea of what you are letting yourself in for :)

Which Crusade(s) are you doing? Rather fond of the 1st Crusade for gaming myself.

Among my many unpainted armies are two modest 6mm ECW armies. Only bought them about 15 years ago so plenty of time to get round to them yet :)

Hope you enjoy your time here.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Hi Ithoriel,

I mostly focused on the Third Crusade, the characters of Saladin and Richard were quite appealling and I hope to build upon the core European forces to move into other medieval periods in future. Though have planned them in such a way that it won't be too much work to set them up for other crusades. Put together small Templar and Hospitaller detachments too which add a nice flavour. Have enough done to pay a few games but intend to expand it out by at least another division for each side in the future, more knights and infantry for the crusaders and a load more cavalry for the saracens.

I have a notion to build some Byzantine forces in the distant future and tackle the Fourth Crusade. There's something quite amusing about the Fourth and the mess it ended up in!

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

Norm

Welcome Matthew. As a new gamer, it sounds like you have hit the ground running,with your second project now on the painting table. Both the Crusader and ECW periods are interesting to me, so I look forward to your posts about them. 

Techno

And a warm welcome from me, as well, Matthew. :-h

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

Welcome to the Forum Mathew

We play Soldiers of God for the Crusades, gives a fun game.  Due to stuff we already had the figures are 28mm .
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

Hi d_guy, Norm, Techno and Orcs!

I've been using the Hail Caesar rules and quite enjoying it, though only have a few games under my belt so far, mostly solo play. I hadn't come across Soliders of God before, looks like an interesting approach. I'll have to add it to my wish list for next year! Will probably use Pike and Shotte for ECW initially but looking into other rulesets too and hoping to keep my units flexible enough to be used for different games.

fsn

Hello mmcv ... or would it be too forward to call you mm?

Quote from: mmcv on 06 December 2018, 11:57:51 PM
I have a notion to build some Byzantine forces in the distant future and tackle the Fourth Crusade.
I find the Byzantines fascinating, but my interest is slightly earlier. I'm interested in the Normans in Southern Italy,mid C11, particularly Tancred of Hauteville's sons William "Iron Arm", Drogo and Humphrey (who was probably named by his mother). I've got the Normans and the Arabs, I just need some Byzantines and Lombards - but have got slightly sidetracked by WWI in East Africa, the Korean War, tiny Japanese airplanes, the Napoleonic Wars ... and a few other things.

There will be lots of people around who will be able to give you great advice about sources and painting and basing and rule sets and basing for rule sets and die or dice and was Saladin a winter person or did he prefer summer colours and how to put die or dice on bases and painting bases and other necessary things. Then there's me. I really wouldn't bother with anything I write.

I would enjoin you to dive in. This is the friendliest forum I've ever clapped keyboard on, and a great and genuine source of support.

Post pictures.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!