Greetings from Belfast!

Started by mmcv, 06 December 2018, 11:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

Hi Matthew where abouts  in Belfast are you and do you go to any of the club's here?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

mmcv

Hi Fenton,

I'm in Castlereagh, yourself? No I don't go to any clubs, or really know of any at present.

I've been warned about you by a Mister Sunray, I'm sure it's all talk though...  ;D

Fenton

I'm over in Lisburn but usually travel into Belfast to play.  There is a few of us play ADLG in 6mm and Dux Bellorum in 10mm. And building forces for a game Osprey are bringing out next year about Hopilte warfare. Are you playing solo? I don't really do the club's anymore though very occasionally I end up at UWS which is at St John's in the Castlereagh Road
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Fenton

mmcv

Ah yeah, St Johns is just down the road from me. Yes I've mostly been solo gaming and trying to rope a few people I know into playing.

I see the PM, cheers.

fsn

I now want Theresa May to turn up on Matthew's doorstep.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Techno

Fenton

Matthew

I know you mentioned for King and Parliament last night. There are a couple of good threads on here from Paul and Pierre that are worth a look

paulr

Thanks, kind Sir

Matthew, you may find these interesting, we have found that FK&P gives a very enjoyable game with great period feel

ECW project - For King and Parliament http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17480.0.html

Stow on the Wold 1646 http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17883.0.html

Montgomery 1644 http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17860.0.html

Mollinary of this forum is one of the co-authors and has been most helpful
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Hi Paul, I've been following your threads pretty closely actually. I started painting up my ECW armies and stumbled across your project which has been great inspiration. Always enjoy seeing you new posts!

I'm roughly basing my project on Naseby, have most of the NMA forces done though nothing based yet.  Looking forward to doing some Royalists and painting something other than red for a while! Will probably start up a painting diary on it myself once I get something based I can show off.

Had initially intended to play using To Kill a King supplement to Pike and Shotte but you inspired me to pick up a copy of FKaP as well and thinking it'll work pretty well for it.

Didn't know Mollinary had co-authored, that's good to know!

Nirnman

Hi, I  have been following your post with interest. However, having played "To The Strongest" the ancient rule set equivalent to FK&P I have decided to stay with "To Kill a King" supplement to Black Powder. this is mainly because my hope, for opponent, will not use FK&P. and I have had a 28mm NMA for over fifteen Years that has never seen action. IF starting from Scratch I would most certainly go the 10mm way, in fact, I am currently amassing forces for the League of Augsburg and Marlburian wars in this scale. anyway, welcome to the Forum from another NI wargamer based in Newtownards.

Sunray

Ah - the Ards peninsula !  Once a hive of wargame activity and production.  I remember one summer's day in 1978 (?) driving down to a very rural location and buying some Freikorps 15mm and Platoon 20 figures.   Spent the afternoon drinking beer,  wargaming a Vietnam skirmish  with the proprietor and avoiding being recruited into an ACW re-enactment group.  :)

mmcv

Hi nirnman, thanks for your welcome!

Yeah I have played a demo game of TtS! with my Crusades forces (You can see a quick summary of the game on my Crusades thread http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18100.15.html) as those are the only armies I have currently. I plan to base my ECW forces in a way I can play then for both TKaK and FKaP, and hopefully any other period rules I may come across in future!

Sunray, sounds like a glorious day!

Fenton

Quote from: Sunray on 01 January 2019, 12:02:57 PM
Ah - the Ards peninsula !  Once a hive of wargame activity and production.  I remember one summer's day in 1978 (?) driving down to a very rural location and buying some Freikorps 15mm and Platoon 20 figures.   Spent the afternoon drinking beer,  wargaming a Vietnam skirmish  with the proprietor and avoiding being recruited into an ACW re-enactment group.  :)

Fun times with Cameron Robinson and Dave Allsop