Battlefield Trust ECW Battle packs released!

Started by Leon, 06 December 2018, 10:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

After they were launched at the Battleground show a fortnight ago, we've now added these ECW battle packs to the website as well.  Covering the 3 ECW battles that took place here in the north-east of England, each pack contains a representation of the forces present at each engagement, at a ratio of roughly 1:10.

In August 1642, King Charles I declared war against his Parliament.  The North, led by William Cavendish, Earl of Newcastle, generally supported the King.  Cavendish's 6-8,000 strong Royalist northern army marched south from Newcastle to relieve the Parliamentarian threat to Royalist York.  En route it defeated a small Parliamentarian force at Piercebridge and then went on to challenge Parliamentarian forces led by the Fairfaxes in the west (Leeds/Bradford area) and the Hothams (Hull) and Cholmleys (Scarborough) in the East.  The struggle for control of the bridge crossings of the River Tees, in order to move Royalist supplies of munitions from the Continent down to York and beyond, led to the engagements at Guisborough and Yarm.

Packs cover:-
The Battle of Piercebridge (1 December 1642)
The Battle of Guisborough (16 January 1643)
The Battle of Yarm (1 February 1643)

These packs are all available on our website now: https://pendraken.co.uk/battlefield-trust/

More info on the Battlefields Trust can be found here: http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

What an excellent idea. I find preparing figures for a particular game really motivates the painting process and also defines an end point to a project.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Offering packs on a specific battle sounds like a great idea. Are the dragoons mounted or on foot? Anyway, by my reckoning,

• you can fight the smallest(?) battle, Guisborough, for as little as £22 (incl.VAT) which would be a great introduction to the range and hopefully will generate further purchases OR
  • you could fight all three battles as a mini-campaign for £57 (incl.VAT) (perhaps less if you augment one of the packs with a standard pack?). To have more than enough figures, all you need are 3 packs out of the six - the Royalist Piercebridge and Parliament Guisborough and Yarm packs.
:-\

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leon

We're aiming them at people who might be new to wargaming or have an interest in military history instead.  The small buy-in cost should be enough to tempt people in and then they might go on to look at other ranges/periods in the future.

Quote from: Westmarcher on 07 December 2018, 01:11:15 PM
Offering packs on a specific battle sounds like a great idea. Are the dragoons mounted or on foot?

The Dragoons are mounted in these packs.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fsn

These are rather a good wheeze!

Fortunately, I am immune to the ECW.

Mostly.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nap4

Hey

Congrats on the new release ...
I personally love the idea

However what wargaiming system are you basing it on ?
you say a 1:10 ratio ...so is it basically finding a rules system that fits in ?

Also could you maybe take more marketing images of the figure so we
can whats in the package ?

Great stuff

thanks

Leman

Nap4 - that's a new one on me. Welcome to the forum.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

Splendid idea! Starter packs like these could be a great jump in point!

Quote from: Leon on 07 December 2018, 01:27:31 PM
We're aiming them at people who might be new to wargaming or have an interest in military history instead.  The small buy-in cost should be enough to tempt people in and then they might go on to look at other ranges/periods in the future.

That could also read, "the small buy-in cosyt makes it ideal for a side project for people who have too many main projects already!"

FierceKitty

The number of side projects I've watched expand to table-covering hordes....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leon

Quote from: Nap4 on 07 December 2018, 05:16:19 PM
However what wargaiming system are you basing it on ?
you say a 1:10 ratio ...so is it basically finding a rules system that fits in ?

They're not based on any system at the moment, it's just a representation of the forces that were present at each engagement.  The guys at the Battlefields Trust have been looking at various rulesets to find something which is quite simple and easy to use, almost more like a boardgame than a set of wargames rules.  There are only 4 troop types present in the packs (Foot/Horse/Dragoon/Artillery) so a basic set of rules would be enough.  The last time I spoke with the BT guys, I think they were looking at Kriegsspiel.

I guess that any existing ruleset could be used though, the forces are correct so as long as you setup the game using the info and map inside the pack, then you should be able to game that battle easy enough.

Quote from: Nap4 on 07 December 2018, 05:16:19 PM
Also could you maybe take more marketing images of the figure so we
can whats in the package ?

I'm going to be getting some better pictures of the ECW range added to the website, but there's some basic images there currently: https://pendraken.co.uk/renaissance/english-civil-war/  The foot figures are from EC1/2/3/14, the horse are from EC9/10/11, dragoons from EC12 and guns from EC6.

8)

petercooman