Machine Gun Consistency

Started by Big Insect, 04 December 2018, 03:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Looking at the BKC lists - as I am now having to do on a daily basis to convert across to BKCIV, I am coming across consistency/continuity issues specifically around machine guns.

I can see that an HMG platoon will bring down more firepower than a tank platoon - but I'm finding that there appears to be little logic around standardizing the ranges of units.
At the level of abstraction we are playing at - can we opt for a 'standard' AP factor for vehicle mounted machine guns?

Also - US 0.50 cal HMGs - is there any agreement on a standard range and standard AP/AT ratings please - as I look at 2 vehicles, both armed primarily with .50cals and they might have different AP factors and ranges.

Any thoughts please folks

Thanks
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

petercooman

Can you give an example? Might be easier if we know wich ones are not consistent with the rest. Maybe there is a reason they are different?

Steve J

I agree, some examples would be useful.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Solid and metallic?

Oh, that's not what you mean by consistency...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Kiwidave

Mark,

Are you refering to MG-only armed AFVs?

Co-ax (etc) MGs are factored into the +1 attack at 20cm versus soft targets. AFAIK the AP stats for AFVs is the HE capability.

Dave

Dr Dave

That's curious, though perhaps not all that surprising?

I'd go back to bkcII. As far as I recall there are no inconsistencies there.

Leon

Quote from: Dr Dave on 04 December 2018, 10:22:39 PM
I'd go back to bkcII. As far as I recall there are no inconsistencies there.

These are the BKC-II lists that are being used in BKC-IV.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

Quote from: Kiwidave on 04 December 2018, 09:42:37 PM
Mark,

Are you refering to MG-only armed AFVs?

Co-ax (etc) MGs are factored into the +1 attack at 20cm versus soft targets. AFAIK the AP stats for AFVs is the HE capability.

Dave

Yes, that's what i thought. That's why i wanted an example,to clear that out.

Big Insect

05 December 2018, 01:34:58 PM #8 Last Edit: 05 December 2018, 01:39:47 PM by Big Insect
Sorry for the delay in responding folks - real-life getting in the way of important wargaming life  :D :D

So to answer some of the queries

1). do I mean purely MG armed AFV's - yes mostly - so a US White AC has an (AP) factor of 1/40 - which I am assuming is primarily the .50cal (although I am aware that they also carried a couple of lighter machine guns - pivot mounted) - so in instances of other light vehicles that are purely armed with a .50cal - such as certain Jeeps used by USA particularly in Armoured Recon formations, is it safe to assume that an (AP) score of 1/40 is the standard 0.50cal stat?
1a). I am also aware that a 0.50cal has a reasonable armour piercing capabilities - especially at short range - however, I am assuming that this is taken care of by the fact that firing the 0.50cal at an armored target will suppress it not cause actual casualties.

2). I am aware that the AP factor for a lot of AFVs - particularly MBTs that also have HE rounds - will include their hull, co-axial and roof mtd hmgs - but in an instance where the vehicle has no HE capability - so a British A9 might be a good example - then there needs to be a factor for the vehicles machine gun. If that is the case, then is there an agreement broadly on what that factor is (e.g. is it 1/30 for each hmg or an overall general AFV/MBT agreed factor)?
I am also interested in this issue because you have Early War tanks such as the T-28s with a host of HMGs etc but a 3/80 AP factor.

Does that all make sense? Or am I smoking something here  ;) ;) ;)

Many thanks
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

petercooman

Quote from: Big Insect on 05 December 2018, 01:34:58 PM

1). do I mean purely MG armed AFV's - yes mostly - so a US White AC has an (AP) factor of 1/40 - which I am assuming is primarily the .50cal (although I am aware that they also carried a couple of lighter machine guns - pivot mounted) - so in instances of other light vehicles that are purely armed with a .50cal - such as certain Jeeps used by USA particularly in Armoured Recon formations, is it safe to assume that an (AP) score of 1/40 is the standard 0.50cal stat?
1a). I am also aware that a 0.50cal has a reasonable armour piercing capabilities - especially at short range - however, I am assuming that this is taken care of by the fact that firing the 0.50cal at an armored target will suppress it not cause actual casualties.

Sounds good to me.

Quote from: Big Insect on 05 December 2018, 01:34:58 PM

2). I am aware that the AP factor for a lot of AFVs - particularly MBTs that also have HE rounds - will include their hull, co-axial and roof mtd hmgs - but in an instance where the vehicle has no HE capability - so a British A9 might be a good example - then there needs to be a factor for the vehicles machine gun. If that is the case, then is there an agreement broadly on what that factor is (e.g. is it 1/30 for each hmg or an overall general AFV/MBT agreed factor)?
I am also interested in this issue because you have Early War tanks such as the T-28s with a host of HMGs etc but a 3/80 AP factor.

Bit of a strange beast that one  :-\

Maybe the range was determined by the 'stability' of the firing platform or volume of shots or something?

Big Insect

There are a lot of Early War & pre-War/between war tanks and tankettes that only have HMGs as weapons.

The T28 also has a main armourment that can fire HE so it can in effect have a long range AP effect but at closer ranges the mass of HMGs makes it a formidable anti-infantry weapon - it is really an Infantry Support tank rather than an MBT. This is covered by the +1 dice for under half-range shooting, however, i am tempted to give these early wars multi turreted HMG 'heavy' support tanks a +2 dice at under half range.

However, I suppose my real question here is - do we give the HMGs on AFVs a 1/30 AP factor as opposed to a 1/40 for .50cals ???

Thanks
Mark

Dr Dave

Id assumed it was 1/40 for an A9 etc AP from the desperate use of solid shot.

Then the +1 die for < 1/2 range and +1 the coax. So a jump to 3/20 in effect?

Or is it 1/40 for the very stable coax, then just +1 for < 1/2 range meaning 2/20 overall?

Now I'm confused.

petercooman

05 December 2018, 06:36:45 PM #12 Last Edit: 05 December 2018, 06:39:22 PM by petercooman
I always assumed the +1 under half range was an accuracy thing  :-\

The +1 for the mg under 20 should make it 3 dice total.

Ithoriel

05 December 2018, 06:49:42 PM #13 Last Edit: 05 December 2018, 06:51:35 PM by Ithoriel
To take the T28 first off, I'd assume the 3/80 covers the artillery turret, +1 for half range covers odd bursts from the MGs.  The +1 firing at soft targets within 20cm covers more effective fire by the two MG turrets.

1/40 sounds OK for a .50 MG but it might also be OK for 2 .05 MGs depending on configuration, crew arrangements (if one of those MGs is manned by someone trying to command the vehicle, fire the MG and use the radio the extra firepower might not make the difference you might imagine looking at the armament alone!) and arcs of fire.

Lots to take into account to get an effect on the table which is a reasonable simulation of the real thing. Hats off to those of you working on this!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Shedman

If we were talking about an individual vehicle I would say it was worth the effort but as BKC is aimed at platoons and troops of tanks then probably the extra dice at close range covers most of it

For a base of mg-only armed tanks then probably the 3 @ 60 would suffice for AP ie a mobile MG and 1/30 for AT