"Obscure Battles" OOBs

Started by Last Hussar, 01 December 2018, 08:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

The battles aren't always that obscure, as the author admits - think there has been some 'mission creep'

http://obscurebattles.blogspot.com/

Write up, fantastic maps - which he is very careful to scale (he is former USN military intelligence and made maps for missions)

Best bit is the OOBs - strengths from Corps down to Battalion level.  The Napoleonic ones are colour coded for jacket/turnbacks!

Down sides:
not 'lots and lots'
OOBs are PDF so no copy/paste the names (which when you are doing Austro-Hungary you REALLY need!)
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Certainly an excellent resource.

steve_holmes_11

Just read Friedland - It's a fantastic resource.

Leman

Indeed, I have found the SYW entries really useful.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Thanks LH, a great find. Have only partial looked at Lexington & Concord but very much appreciate his analysis and approach.
Sleep with clean hands ...

FierceKitty

Interesting that Leuthen is an obscure battle. Along with Gaugamela, Cannae, Hattin, Pavia, Nagashino, Waterloo, and Alamein, I presume.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 December 2018, 11:18:25 PM
Interesting that Leuthen is an obscure battle. Along with Gaugamela, Cannae, Hattin, Pavia, Nagashino, Waterloo, and Alamein, I presume.

My school history course covered all of the latter except Nagashino. There was no mention of the Seven Years War, let alone Leuthen. So, an obscure and unimportant conflict, clearly :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

My school history course mentioned none of them. But we covered Blood River about four times, always stressing white heroism....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Last Hussar

QuoteBut the "obscure" part will have more to do with my own take on these events, characters, and  interpretations than with the relative obscurity of the battle itself.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry