Some Tiny Air Combat at Koepang, DEI

Started by bigjackmac, 01 December 2018, 02:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

bigjackmac

Thanks guys!

Got two more dogfights in this weekend.  Yeah, only two, I was teaching my 9-year old boy so the games took a loooooong time, but lotsa fun!  I'll get them posted this week.

V/R,
Jack

Jesus

2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

toxicpixie

Looks good - I always approve of bringing in the wee one's to join in :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

bigjackmac

Thanks TP and Jesus, and yeah, it's great getting the kid to the table.

Just slowwwww, so I'll definitely keep playing solo fights as well.  ;)

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

It's noon on 19 January 1942 (yes, we've gone back in time about a month from the seven Killer Pelicans dogfights I just posted), and only days before a squadron of US Army Air Force P-40 Warhawks under Captain Brian Jordan was sent to Makassar on the southwest tip of the island of Celebes, to aid in the American-British-Dutch-Australian (ABDA) defense of the Dutch East Indies (DEI) from the marauding forces of the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy.  Captain Jordan and his men with their eighteen sleek, Curtiss Warhawks quickly settled into life on the dusty tropical airfield, happy be in the fight and ready to avenge Pearl Harbor!

As a matter of fact, just yesterday Captain Jordan and three of his pilots took to the air and  managed to shoot down three enemy fighters and two enemy bombers, at the cost of only one P-40 damaged!  But the Japanese are keen on making Celebes theirs (in the Killer Pelicans games, the enemy aircraft were flying out of Kendari, Celebes), and the Army pilots expect their stay at Makassar to be short-lived as Japanese landing forces are sure to arrive any minute now.

The new setup.  North is left, where the Imperial Japanese Army aircraft are, south is right, where the U.S. Army Air Force is.  East is up, West is down.  The Japanese are charging in, intent on destroying Dutch coastal artillery batteries covering the Japanese Navy's intended landing beaches on Celebes.

The Americans, six P-40 Warhawks, from top to bottom:
Chicken 22: 2nd Lt Macon, his first combat sortie
Chicken 21: 1st Lt Pace, 2 kills in his first sortie
Chicken 23: 2nd Lt McKyer, his first combat sortie
Chicken 52: 2nd Lt Verdin, his first combat sortie
Chicken 51: 1st Lt Potts, his first combat sortie
Chicken 53: 2nd Lt Beach, his first combat sortie

The Japanese, from top to bottom:
Oscar 02
Oscar 01
Left: Helen 06, Helen 04, Helen 05
Right: Helen 03, Helen 01, Helen 02
Oscar 03
Oscar 04

Still using Bettys as Helens, but actually got the Oscars on the table this time.

Turns 1 and 2 bring us to the merge.  The sun is giving a nasty glare off the warm, South Pacific waters...

And this why they're called the Chickenhawks!  To see the U.S. Army Air Force have a very bad day (or, more appropriately, to see me get my butt kicked by my son), please check the blog at:
https://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/2018/12/dutch-east-indies-19.html

The boy and I immediately played another game, so next fight coming right up!

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

He's still kicking your derrier! Go the boy!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

bigjackmac

Thanks for reading, no thanks for seeming to take a bit too much pleasure in the boy whipping me soundly ;)

I'll post the next one tomorrow.

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

It's noon on 20 January 1942 (yes, we've gone back in time about a month from the seven Killer Pelicans dogfights I just posted), and only days before a squadron of US Army Air Force P-40 Warhawks under Captain Brian Jordan was sent to Makassar on the southwest tip of the island of Celebes, to aid in the American-British-Dutch-Australian (ABDA) defense of the Dutch East Indies (DEI) from the marauding forces of the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy.  Captain Jordan and his men with their eighteen sleek, Curtiss Warhawks quickly settled into life on the dusty tropical airfield, happy be in the fight and ready to avenge Pearl Harbor!

As a matter of fact, two days ago Captain Jordan and three of his pilots took to the air and  managed to shoot down three enemy fighters and two enemy bombers, at the cost of only one P-40 damaged!  But the Japanese are keen on making Celebes theirs (in the Killer Pelicans games, the enemy aircraft were flying out of Kendari, Celebes), and the Army pilots expect their stay at Makassar to be short-lived as Japanese landing forces are sure to arrive any minute now.

Yesterday was a black day, indeed, for the Chickenhawks, with two Japanese fighters and two Japanese bombers shot down, but ALL SIX American fighters were shot down...

Bogeys, 12 o' high!  Lots of'em, too!

Finally learning to forget the fighters and go after the bombers.

Though this isn't exactly where you want to be.  The fight was still rough, but much better than yesterday for the Chickenhawks, with two pilots having multiple-kill days.  To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
https://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/2018/12/dutch-east-indies-20.html?m=1

I'm caught up on batreps, so now you just have to wait ;). But not too long, I've got plenty of gaming planned for this weekend!

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Another top report, the boy is giving you a hard time!

bigjackmac

Yeah man, at this rate the Allies are going to lose the war!

V/R,
Jack