15mm figure question

Started by d_Guy, 27 November 2018, 04:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Working on a project to cover Desmond's and Tyrone's Rebellions in late 16th Century Ireland. Because I want a large selection of poses finally ended up going the 15mm route. The bulk will be Khurasan but plan to add in others as well.

Madaxman has an excellent resource on 15mm figure comparisons (with lots of pics) but he does not include Khurasan.
My sample suggests Essex works well with Khurasan but would also like to mix in Freicorp (QRF).

Any comments, suggestions, pic comparisons, etc.?
Sleep with clean hands ...

fsn

Yes. Stop messing about with 15mm. 15mm is dead. It just doesn't know it yet.

Come back to the true scale and buy yourself some tanks.

Aside from that, I have nothing positive to contribute.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

27 November 2018, 07:06:40 PM #2 Last Edit: 27 November 2018, 07:13:16 PM by Westmarcher
Yes. What an admission, Bill! You two-timer!  :o

p.s. Khurasan provide an Ancients/Medieval figure comparison ...

http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/scale.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

Thanks Westie!
(I thought I had seen that comparison somewhere - duh!)

This single 15mm exception (which will provide figures for Pikeman's Lament, Flashing Steel, HOTT, and some sort of FK&P/TtS! Hybrid) simply tests the rule that 10mm is "G_d's Own Scale"  (making 15mm, presumably, " the Devils own") :d

Thanks as well fsn! You may now refer to any portion* of your sizeable tank collection as "d_guy's own". My avatar emblazoned on their turrets would be a particularly nice touch!

* if given a choice I should like it to be some of your T35s.

Leman

Which wargamers voted for Brexit? - presumably the God's own scale brigade (insert preferred scale), ie anything else is suspect and must be avoided at all costs. Throw up the barriers, don't let them in and do not visit anywhere that sells them.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

Quote from: d_Guy on 27 November 2018, 07:32:52 PM

This single 15mm exception (which will provide figures for Pikeman's Lament ....

Must confess, I'm currently painting up Peter Pig 15mm ECW for this also .....  :-[

[Ssssh! Couldn't help but notice on the "K" website; the former Testudo range looks quite tasty, too.....]
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

I'm pretty sure many (including Leman) know why 10mm has this appellation. Although it's been discussed (and posted) before here is the relevant post from the late Aart Brouwer's excellent blog:
https://crossfireamersfoort.wordpress.com/god´s-own-scale/

Prehapes the above link could someday be considered as a sticky post somewhere on this, our esteemed hosts' forum.

BTW here is a link to the Waterloo model at the National Army Museum:
https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?acc=1975-05-56-1

FierceKitty

Quote from: d_Guy on 28 November 2018, 12:48:17 AM
I'm pretty sure many (including Leman) know why 10mm has this appellation. Although it's been discussed (and posted) before here is the relevant post from the late Aart Brouwer's excellent blog:
https://crossfireamersfoort.wordpress.com/god´s-own-scale/

Prehapes the above link could someday be considered as a sticky post somewhere on this, our esteemed hosts' forum.

BTW here is a link to the Waterloo model at the National Army Museum:
https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?acc=1975-05-56-1

I didn't know that was the origin of the label. They make a convincing case for it.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

Fascinating - not only to find out that the Waterloo display is in 10mm scale but also the adjustment to the vertical. When I saw it, I estimated that it was in 6mm scale so, ever since, thought that's what it was. Mind you, that was in the early 90's and, at that point, I hadn't come across 10mm figs.

SV52

Quote from: d_Guy on 27 November 2018, 04:56:34 PM
Working on a project to cover Desmond's and Tyrone's Rebellions in late 16th Century Ireland. Because I want a large selection of poses finally ended up going the 15mm route. The bulk will be Khurasan but plan to add in others as well.

Madaxman has an excellent resource on 15mm figure comparisons (with lots of pics) but he does not include Khurasan.
My sample suggests Essex works well with Khurasan but would also like to mix in Freicorp (QRF).

Any comments, suggestions, pic comparisons, etc.?

These are a mix, all Essex apart from the flag bearer who is Irregular and the right hand spontoon guy who is Frei Korps (apologies for pic quality):
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

d_Guy

Thanks also, SV52. The picture is great actually. The difference between Essex and Freikorp seems proportionally the same as Minifig and Pendraken in 10mm so generally mixable.

Westie, I saw the Waterloo model at about the same time you did. Was overwhelmed by the panorama and not sure I even thought about figure scale. The roughly 3 to 1 difference between vertical and horizontal is not apparent. One thing that may help is the figures in the display are not at all detailed. Had Pendraken been available, their high degree of detail may have actually spoiled the effect!

Leman

It is a very impressive diorama, particularly the depiction of the  vegetation.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!