Assembling artillery pieces

Started by alanl, 25 November 2018, 07:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanl

Help needed.  I have a fair pile of pieces to put together for my Boer War forces.

I have found it necessary to drill out some of the wheel hubs, but am having difficulty in getting the wheels to attach.  Superglue just doesn't seem to give a strong enough bond due to the small area of contact (or perhaps my Zap-A-Gap is going off?).

My other thought is to use an epoxy glue and use blu-tak to hold the pieces in position while it hardens, but this could take an enternity to do all the pieces.

Any other suggestions?

fsn

I dip the axle in baking powder before putting on the wheel.

Works a treat.

A tip I learned from this forum.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Shedman

I use a big block of Plasticine to hold bits in place whilst gluing

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Can't be as bad as MM chariots! Average 15mm a chariot to assemble, then another 15 to reassemble...  ~X(
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Sometimes the hub needs a quick drill or the axles need a snip to remove any flash.  I place the gun on blu-tac or plasticine to hold the wheels in place while the glue dries, like the guys above.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ithoriel

A few granules of bicarb of soda will cause superglue to set almost instantly. I find that helps with things that otherwise need held, supported or clamped.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

alanl

Many thanks.  Time to raid the baking cupboard!

FierceKitty

In such cases I use superglue, then add a dab or two of epoxy when it's assembled.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Matt J

Yep, baking powder and bit of super glue gel to 'weld' the joint after. When glued to a base they don't go anywhere.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

alanl

OK, going to go for the superglue and baking soda formula.  What type of glue is best suited: thin or a medium gel?

Womble67

I'll have to try the baking soda trick

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Be careful.

I told Techno about baking soda and superglue and he spent three days stuck to a Victoria sponge.

It does work rather well. Can't remember who it was put it on the Forum first, but thanks to them.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

Quote from: fsn on 27 November 2018, 05:28:29 PM
Be careful.

I told Techno about baking soda and superglue and he spent three days stuck to a Victoria sponge.

It does work rather well. Can't remember who it was put it on the Forum first, but thanks to them.

I'm rather partial to Victoria sponge, so that wouldn't be too much of a hardship but I keep your warning in mind thanks

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

I had to use a pumice stone to get rid of the final bits of 'stuff'.

Still hasn't healed properly.

Cheers - Mr Sore Fingers

Norm

For artillery, I find that I have to glue the wheels to the base at the same time as the gun carriage is glued, this gives the extra stability for the few seconds needed to get everything going off, but also needs tweezers to ensure that everything is straight while it does go off, otherwise you end up with wonky wheels.