It's Bitterly Cold in the UK

Started by capthugeca, 30 November 2010, 06:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capthugeca

Two "bitterly colds" and TWO "bitterly, bitterly colds" in the BBC1 6.30pm national weather forecast. Fantastic!  =)
In the whole English language is there not one single word that means bitterly cold?
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Leon

It's ridiculous round here.  18 inches of snow so far at Pendraken HQ, with more to come apparently.  It's delayed our metal delivery as well, so we're currently running on empty, melting down spare stock just to get some orders out.  It also means the resin won't set properly, so I'm gonna have to bring the whole resin setup into the house tomorrow to be able to do any Dungeons.

>:(
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Dickie255

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow!my Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

Argh! This weather is getting serious - I was going to put an order in tonight but the idea of you melting your spare stock melts (sorry) my heart :'( I'll hang on till you get your metal delivery. There's nothing urgent about my order.

By the way have you heard the story about the Donner party of 1846/47 who had to resort to cannibalism  after being snowed in!

Cheers

lentulus

Sorry about the lead supplies, but according to the forecast I just looked up you are talking lows of -2 to -5 C, which is at worst "a bit nippy".  One of the lads from the Moscow team is here and he is talking -20C, which certainly rates as "quite cold".

So how many Pendraken minis can I get for my son's gently used parka and a Canadian Tire snow shovel?

Luddite

Took me 5 hours to dig my car out and get it onto a main road today.

Damn near killed me.

Curse my bad back and dicky ticker

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Sandinista

Riding my motorbike today was a bit hairy, with snow stcking to visor and wheels spinning in the slush. But office closed tomorrow so I get to work from home, a nice lie in - perhaps I may even login from my bed  :D

capthugeca

We've only had a dusting of snow so far.
And this evening I got an email to say that my Pendraken order has been dispatched.
I feel rather guilty about starting this subject.  :-[

Leon

Quote from: lentulus on 30 November 2010, 07:51:41 PM
Sorry about the lead supplies, but according to the forecast I just looked up you are talking lows of -2 to -5 C, which is at worst "a bit nippy".  One of the lads from the Moscow team is here and he is talking -20C, which certainly rates as "quite cold".

We do seem to be consistently underprepared for this kind of weather I must admit.  My car battery died yesterday as well, refusing point blank to be jump started.  No good at all.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Blaker

;D  I had to today, we had a "cold front" blow through today and I saw several people running around with parkas on!!!!  For God's Sake, it was only 15c !!! And they were wearing parkas!!!!!  :o

Tonight it is gonna drop to -1c or -3c but it is very very dry and should bounce back up by the afternoon to 18c - 20c !  :D

I was still wearing short and sandals today, I guess I will have to put some socks on tomorrow morning  ;)

yall stay warm and dont use up too much surplus lying around  :)

Leon

Quote from: Blaker on 01 December 2010, 02:42:27 AM
;D  I had to today, we had a "cold front" blow through today and I saw several people running around with parkas on!!!!  For God's Sake, it was only 15c !!! And they were wearing parkas!!!!!  :o

Tonight it is gonna drop to -1c or -3c but it is very very dry and should bounce back up by the afternoon to 18c - 20c !  :D

I was still wearing short and sandals today, I guess I will have to put some socks on tomorrow morning  ;)

yall stay warm and dont use up too much surplus lying around  :)

The metal should be here tomorrow, but it's been on the delivery van both Monday and Tuesday, so in theory we should be one of the first to be done on Wed.

Derek H

Quote from: capthugeca on 30 November 2010, 06:41:58 PM

In the whole English language is there not one single word that means bitterly cold?

Baltic!

Steve J

We've had barely a dusting in Bristol so far :(. However the wind chill is pretty impressive when cycling into work.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Anything that dsiscourages bloody cyclits has to be a very GOOD thing, form a bruised pedestarian and frustrated driver.

IMPROVE THE GENE POLL - CRUSH A CYCLIST.  :d

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

capthugeca

Leon

Quote from: ianrs54 on 01 December 2010, 04:45:55 PM
IMPROVE THE GENE POLL - CRUSH A CYCLIST.  :d

IMPROVE THE GENE POOL - CRUSH A BENEFIT-SCROUNGING, NO-JOB-GETTING, POP-OUT-A-KID-A-YEAR-JUST-FOR-MONEY, LAZY-ARSE SCALLY!

Fixed...

:D