Eowyn Favorite LotR Character

Started by Terry37, 17 November 2018, 07:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

For some time now I have been wanting to do an element for my Riders of Rohan army (HOTT) of my favorite LotR character - Eowyn! I've made several attempts using a Splintered Light Viking figure as the base and adding a female head with long hair. But was not able to get past doing the head transplant and keeping her long hair down her back - both attempts failed! But not to give up I thought about it and looked at the figures I was using for the two parts (I was also running out of extra female figures for their heads and the Viking figures with the appropriate attire) and how I might be able to make it work. Then it struck me Instead of trying to cut a head at the neck and keep the long hair in the back I decided to file a notch in the Viking and then take the head with part of the body even with the hair in the back. It worked great. A little liquid green stuff filed the minor gaps, and also allows me to create the additional hair length needed.

I am basing this element off of the scene in the last LotR movie where she is standing over her father taking on the Witch King. Included will be Eowyn with her helmet off, it lying on the ground, her broken shield, her left arm held against her body after the Witch King struck her shield and her father trapped under his horse. It will be a bit crowded for a 40 x 30 MM base bit it works out. I've pretty much finished making Eowyn, her helmet and am now working on her father and his horse, as I am having to create a look of the horse armor he had on his horse. Lastly I'll shatter a shield. Then paint everything and assemble the base. It's all in 15 MM.

She will be played as a Hero or maybe a Paladin.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Sounds like some major surgery Terry. I'm sure the end result will look fantastic.

No 10mm figures were harmed during the production of this HOTT element  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Maenoferren

Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

petercooman

Looking forward to it!

She's one of my favourite heroes to play in the LOTR strategy battle game as well!

here's mine

FierceKitty

Since she's in male dress and isn't noticed as a woman until she takes off her helmet, it doesn't sound too difficult. Just give her a hobbit to carry.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Terry37

Think of this scene, but just before she makes the fatal stab (scroll down a bit). I'll take a picture of the layout tomorrow and post it.

https://kalijoylittlewritings.wordpress.com/2016/04/28/eowyn-and-the-fight-for-a-voice-a-response-to-dawn-catanachs-the-problem-of-eowyn/

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Terry37

18 November 2018, 03:47:36 PM #7 Last Edit: 18 November 2018, 03:49:36 PM by Terry37
Had a few minutes before church, so here's a couple of pictures of the general layout. The shield has not been destroyed yet, and will not be totally shattered as in the movie but broken into 3 or 4 irregular pieces. Reason is the shield was wood with an iron bar horizontal with the hand grip so probably wouldn't break like that (but who knows really), and in the movie it was obviously CG as afterwards there were no fragments of be seen. Please keep in mind it is still very much a work in progress so very crude in appearance right now. But it will give you an idea of what I'm after.

I am debating if I want to try and carve some design in the leather bard on Theoden's horse and the mail below or just paint it in???

More as it progresses,

Terry

paulr

Definitely looking forward to seeing this progress :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Still think they should have added an extra cut:
Eowyn removes helmet,  Witch King goes "Oh sh*t!"
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

Yep, that would be funny, but she'd never even think anything like that - she's a Shield Maiden!!! And, her line is truly absolutely perfect "I am no man!".

Terry

FierceKitty

Quote from: Terry37 on 19 November 2018, 12:55:59 AM
Yep, that would be funny, but she'd never even think anything like that - she's a Shield Maiden!!! And, her line is truly absolutely perfect "I am no man!".

Terry

Ummm...have you read the post preceding yours?

Terry37

FierceKitty, Yes I did read the post, but read it wrong. Thanks for correcting me. It was the Witch King that said that, and I read it as Eowyn saying that re seeing the Witch King. My bad!

Terry

FierceKitty

You owe Eowyn a box of chocolates!

Terry37

In my book, Eowyn can have anything she wants!

Terry