Model naval battle at Peasholm Park

Started by Womble67, 13 November 2018, 11:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

I thought it was pretty good I wouldn't mind having a go myself, but that's the big kid in me

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

petercooman

Womble67

That's brilliant, I also wouldn't mind having a go at that

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

Ferb

This takes me back I remember seeing a battle like this in Peasholm park when I was a kid.

Steve J

Wow, that's pretty cool and I didn't realise how big the ships were!

Ithoriel

The big ones were actually controlled by a guy inside them.

When we were there in the mid 60's you could hire "Red Indian" canoe's and if you hired them immediately after the battle was staged you could get close up to the ships.

Rather modern looking aircraft, hung on wires and powered by firework style rockets, did a bombing run.

Later on there was a Pirate Island attraction near Peaseholm Park with a mock pirate ship and an island where you could search for pirate treasure. Still have a couple of "doubloons" I found.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Terry37

Enjoyed both, but one thing kept striking me - what rules were htey using and how did hey measure their movements????? :)

Seriously pretty amazing!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

Fun videos! If one and two were combined more than safety goggles would need to be worn. H G Well would approve of the fire combat resolution in the second.

Terry, maybe in the number of motor revolutions per turn?
Sleep with clean hands ...

Leon

Quote from: Ferb on 13 November 2018, 12:54:06 PM
This takes me back I remember seeing a battle like this in Peasholm park when I was a kid.

We were the same, we used to go camping in Scarborough each summer and visited this a few times.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 November 2018, 02:36:37 PM
Later on there was a Pirate Island attraction near Peaseholm Park with a mock pirate ship and an island where you could search for pirate treasure. Still have a couple of "doubloons" I found.

Yep, down on the Mere!  We did this every year as well, don't know if I've still got any though.  They kept the ship running for quite a few years until the cafe/ice cream place shut down and then kids set the ship on fire.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

lowlylowlycook

Very cool stuff.

It's interesting how easily those RC ships were sunk with what amounts to low caliber solid shot.

sunjester