Motivation - History, figures or rules

Started by Leman, 09 November 2018, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavillarius

Depends how far we go back really...

As a kid, it was figures first, but that got me interested in history, an interest that outlasted my love for the toys. Recently, after 35 years of history books, I've rediscovered the toys. Rules are interesting, but always frustratingly flawed versions of history.
So: history, figures, rules, in that order!

kabrank

Oddly for me the first interest is the Technology involved in the period and how this influences the conflicts.

Particular interest is in periods of transition between dominant technologies and how this shapes the associated conflicts.

Love a nice figure but scale has to be suitable for the scale of game and conflict and hence quiet transition to 10mm for many areas [not sure what to do with my 20mm WW2 massed armor!]

BBB has inspired the group I play with to look more at 19 Century and we will be looking in at the Warfare game on Sunday [Just did and ACW test with BBB and loved it!]

Kelvin

Chris Pringle

Quote from: kabrank on 14 November 2018, 08:40:36 AM
BBB has inspired the group I play with to look more at 19 Century and we will be looking in at the Warfare game on Sunday [Just did and ACW test with BBB and loved it!]
Kelvin

Happy to hear that, Kelvin - looking forward to meeting you at Antietam aka Warfare in Reading on Sunday!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

kabrank

Hi Chris

Will look forward to meeting you and several of my players will be along as well I suspect.

I would appreciate a little chat on using BBB for smaller actions as we try to stick to a minimum number of Rule sets and there is some interest in multi using ACW figures for Pacific war etc.

Also looking at possibly some WW1 desert.

Kelvin

Chris Pringle

Quote from: kabrank on 14 November 2018, 11:37:32 AM
Will look forward to meeting you and several of my players will be along as well I suspect.
I would appreciate a little chat on using BBB for smaller actions as we try to stick to a minimum number of Rule sets and there is some interest in multi using ACW figures for Pacific war etc.
Also looking at possibly some WW1 desert.
That will be great. Have you joined the BBB Yahoo group? You will find a ton of scenarios for all manner of different conflicts in the group files. For War of the Pacific there is a small scenario for Tacna, and a bigger one for the twin battles of Chorrillos & Miraflores - complete with naval gunfire support, minefields, machineguns, railway guns, and other colourful stuff.

Chris

kabrank

Hi Chris

Not rejoined Yahoo since Oath took over as I use a work PC and they seam to want cookies etc.

Womble67

For me at least it was Airfix soldiers (21 pence per packet) which got me interested in the Second World War

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

skywalker

I was a kid in the 1960,s and my favourite toys were my wooden castle with Britians and Timpo 1/32 scale figures, and of course my Action Men ;DI was introduced to wargaming at senior school back in 1973, Airfix figures being the cheapest way to feed my addiction, mainly WW2 and Napoleonics. Nowadays it is my love of history first, figures second and rules a close third,

Leman

I have to admit to being mystified that some  will play a game with any old rubbish rules just because they like the figures. All that painting, and for what?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leman on 16 November 2018, 07:42:48 AM
I have to admit to being mystified that some  will play a game with any old rubbish rules just because they like the figures. All that painting, and for what?

If people haven't read up on the history, too often they may not realise how bad some rules are.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Leman on 16 November 2018, 07:42:48 AM

Actually I have seen enough people sitting around happily enjoying themselves at monster games where nothing really happens for hours to believe that there are plenty of folks for whom the spectacle, the company, and the occasion are enough, and are more important than the gameplay. "There was like 17 of us playing for 17 hours on a 17' table, it was totally awesome, man!" (A pretty much verbatim quote from a guy I had a drink with at Fall In one year.) I'm not one of them, but it doesn't make them wrong.

Chris

Ithoriel

For me wargaming isn't, at heart, about historically accurate rules allowing beautifully and accurately painted figures to move correctly across superbly sculpted landscapes. It's about the people (players and onlookers) around the table.

In my limited experience, megagames are often more about the spectacle and experience than the rules, figures or outcomes.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Agreed but
Quote from: Ithoriel on 16 November 2018, 11:46:13 AM
... historically accurate rules allowing beautifully and accurately painted figures to move correctly across superbly sculpted landscapes...
is a great bonus ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

It much depends on what is meant by historically accurate. Masses of historically accurate detail does not necessarily make for a practical or enjoyable game. For a pleasant evening sitting around a table on which little is happening I would recommend the pub.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Sitting round a wargames table is better for the liver, the bank balance and ambient sound levels.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data