The changing English language

Started by Leman, 07 November 2018, 10:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: Westmarcher on 08 November 2018, 04:01:16 PM
As FK says (more or less), being able to communicate effectively with our contemporaries is the point. I mean, when are we likely to be speaking to someone who was around 500 years ago ............ oh ......... er ............. hi, Phil.   :-h :D

Be careful, Westie......Or I'll start calling you by your correct first name, when I reply.  :P :P :P

Cheers - Phil..... (Westie's real name is Quentin..Unless he's telling me porkies.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D )

Norm

08 November 2018, 06:51:55 PM #31 Last Edit: 08 November 2018, 06:57:51 PM by Norm
I met a really nice bloke once who could write his name. Nothing else, just his name. He needed that to get by.

A couple of questions later, turns out he could not read either.

He was still a really nice bloke and absolutely reliant on everyone he dealt with being honest as he had no idea what he was signing etc. Quite sad really, but more common than one might expect.

In an instant my world view was turned upside down. I don't really care if someone can't spell too well on the old internet thingy, I do however dislike predictive text .... now that really should know better!

d_Guy

Quote from: Techno on 08 November 2018, 05:53:28 PM
(Westie's real name is Quentin..Unless he's telling me porkies.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D )

It's Quintain in'it?
Sleep with clean hands ...

Ithoriel

"i before e" except when your foreign neighbour Keith receives eight counterfeit beige sleighs from feisty caffeinated weightlifters :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ithoriel

My teacher came up with the following explanation

Affect is an Action and Effect is an End Result

For example: - My bagpipe playing affected my neighbour so badly it had the effect of driving him insane :)

Not a complete explanation of usage but good enough that it has stayed with me for the best part of six decades.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

08 November 2018, 11:14:47 PM #35 Last Edit: 08 November 2018, 11:19:05 PM by FierceKitty
The "i before e" issue is a pain in sundry areas, but at least gave us the useful reminder of how to spell friend:

Fri a friend and give him an end.

(Better to the ear than the eye.)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Westmarcher

Quote from: d_Guy on 08 November 2018, 06:52:28 PM
It's Quintain in'it?

Heh! Just watch out for that ball and chain when you run past!  ;D

Quote from: Techno on 08 November 2018, 05:53:28 PM
Be careful, Westie......Or I'll start calling you by your correct first name, when I reply.  :P :P :P

Cheers - Phil..... (Westie's real name is Quentin..Unless he's telling me porkies.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D )

Ah! Is it Quentin Tarantino (thus joining the ranks of film directors who collect model soldiers - i.e., Peter Jackson), Quentin Crisp (sorry, I like the ladies too much), Quentin Durward (Sir Walter Scott hero - more my line)? Or simply "Q" as in the James Bond boffin (or omnipotent being in Star trek NG)?  :-\

As you, Bill, Leon, Stewart, Jim(Duncan), Chris, Fenton, Michael (Wee Wars), Andy ('tho Mollinary might not remember) know, it's D......  :P

Signed, Davy
(yikes! everyone knows now!  #-o )
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ben Waterhouse

It all adds to the gaiety of the nation.

In our little sphere; sergeant or serjeant if you are black mafia. My old part time mob never abbreviated anything; like NCO, as we modelled ourselves on the junior regular Grenadiers. We had the Grenadier ability to infuse the word "Sir" with myriad meanings...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Techno

Quote from: Westmarcher on 09 November 2018, 10:10:43 AM
Signed, Davy

'Bout time, Davy !  ;) ;D

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Never have understood the need for anonymity on here.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Quote from: Westmarcher on 09 November 2018, 10:10:43 AM
Signed, Davy

Well your secret is out now, Mr Lamp.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

I am now enjoying Partridge's "Usage and Abusage" (however rife with misspellings it might be).
Sleep with clean hands ...