Little Wars TV (youtube channel)

Started by Nick the Lemming, 06 November 2018, 08:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick the Lemming

I've seen this youtube channel mentioned here and there for a while now, so thought I'd do a review of it on my blog:

https://nickthelemming.wordpress.com/2018/11/06/review-little-wars-tv-youtube-channel/

They're a decent bunch of blokes doing some fun videos on a variety of games (theatres, periods, type, scales, you name it) as well as tutorials, reviews, and other such stuff. If you haven't come across them yet, do yourself a favour and watch an episode or three.

Techno

Very comprehensive review, Nick. :)

I'll try and have look at those.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

I have found this a terrific watch. I have been a fan of Greg Wagman's Altar of Freedom for some time now and have now bought his Hannibal ancient rules on the back of seeing the reviews and play throughs on LWTV. Agree about how the guys in that particular Pennsylvanian club come across.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Leman on 07 November 2018, 07:28:54 AM
I have found this a terrific watch. I have been a fan of Greg Wagman's Altar of Freedom for some time now and have now bought his Hannibal ancient rules on the back of seeing the reviews and play throughs on LWTV. Agree about how the guys in that particular Pennsylvanian club come across.

I've had Altar of Freedom for a while (and downloaded the two free campaigns, which are excellent) but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Just received a copy of Age of Hannibal which I read through last night and really like the look of, so I'll be having a test game or two and doing a review of those soon. They're some nice looking rules; quick, simple, and immensely playable by the look of it.

Leman

Agreed! compared to the 70s and 80s there are some superb rules around these days for playing the big beasts of history. It is definitely a Harold MacMillan time for historical wargamers.

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Leman on 07 November 2018, 12:32:47 PM
Agreed! compared to the 70s and 80s there are some superb rules around these days for playing the big beasts of history. It is definitely a Harold MacMillan time for historical wargamers.

Absolutely. I'm a big fan of large scale battles (skirmsh stuff doesn't do it for me), so recent-ish rules like Bloody Big Battles, Altar of Freedom, Bluecher, Age of Hannibal and the like are great, especially if I can get a game in within 3 hours or so. I know that there's a lot of ACW stuff for BBB out there now, but I still prefer custom rules for particular periods so they get more of a period feel.

d_Guy

Enjoyed the review!

Leman had brought my attention to Little Wars TV sometime ago and I was so taken with what they were doing that I got in touch with Greg. He graceciously invited me up (about 2.5 hour drive) for one of their game nights and I had a blast. A really great bunch of guys (and the "on screen personalities" are just part of the crew).

Hope to go up once a month or so and broaden my horizons.  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: d_Guy on 07 November 2018, 03:31:35 PM
Enjoyed the review!

Leman had brought my attention to Little Wars TV sometime ago and I was so taken with what they were doing that I got in touch with Greg. He graceciously invited me up (about 2.5 hour drive) for one of their game nights and I had a blast. A really great bunch of guys (and the "on screen personalities" are just part of the crew).

Cool! Say hi from me, and let us know if you end up in any of the videos. :D

Glorfindel

Great stuff - thanks for the heads up.   I watched the Antietam
refight and thought it was excellent.   This really is how to do it.

Fantastic to see the actual terrain, hear the plans and watch the
story unfold.   The short overview maps were extremely helpful
in keeping the big picture in mind.   Good to see that they actually
enjoyed playing the game as well - a sense of fun which is a great
advert.

It was important not to get too bogged down in game detail
although  would have liked to see more pics of the figures.

Now we need to see versions from other countries (many, many
conflicts to choose from).

Phil

Leman

Quote from: d_Guy on 07 November 2018, 03:31:35 PM
Enjoyed the review!

You lucky, lucky man!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Give Greg and the chaps my regards - he is one of the rules writers who has really lifted my wargaming experience.

d_Guy

Well do, Both, I'm pretty much a street urchin that being allowed to hanging around the periphery. I am too backward and ugly to ever appear on screen.  :D

Yes, Leman and Paul I am fortunate in being allowed to hang around with a companionable and very knowledgeable group. I've basically spent forty years in the wilderness. With my visit to Terry at HOTT In Nashville (which im going to document soon) I have had more gaming contact in the last three months than the last three years put together.

d_Guy

Just to update this thread here is the new Little Wars TV vid, "Kharkov":

Note to fsn, no centurions were harmed in making this video.