Q of the Week: Santa's list?

Started by Leon, 29 November 2010, 05:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capthugeca

Quote from: sixsideddice on 30 November 2010, 02:09:59 PM
or is that just my own perversions coming to the fore  :-\

Yup, I think it's your perversions!  ;)

Apparently Father Christmas/Santa Claus was originally dressed in green. It was only when that sickly US poem "Twas th Night Before Christas" was written in the 1880s that he started wearing red.

So I say let's have more green Santas, especially when they look like her!
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Leon

Quote from: capthugeca on 30 November 2010, 03:01:34 PM
Apparently Father Christmas/Santa Claus was originally dressed in green. It was only when that sickly US poem "Twas th Night Before Christas" was written in the 1880s that he started wearing red.

There's a few differing stories out there.  Originally Saint Nicholas would have worn bishops robes, i.e. a red cape, and a couple of paintings in the 1800's depicted this same colour on their Santa's.  It wasn't really until Coca-Cola used one of these red clothed images for an advertising campaign in the 1930's that our modern depiction of Santa became so widely accepted.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

nikharwood

Quote from: goat major on 30 November 2010, 08:23:45 AM
Thanks Nick but i'm actually enjoying painting them  :( this started off as a side project and well..... you know how it is

You've got to watch those side-projects...sneaky little buggers tend to take over when you're not looking  ;D

Quote from: sixsideddice on 30 November 2010, 12:21:48 PM
{{  Crusades [Kingdom of Heaven anyone?! }}

ooooh Kingdom of Heaven, great film, and I`d imagine would look totally awesome in miniature ^^

My wish list: Arkham Horror expansion "Innsmouth Horror" I know I`ve got it, cos herself has hidden it in the cupboard and I spotted it woohooo!!! :d  - out of interest, here`s my last battle report for that game  http://tabletoptitans.com/reports/0046.php    <--- (I see you like Cthulhu Nik, very cool)  :)

Wouldn`t mind that vixen in the green outfit in my Christmas stocking  :-*

Yep - Kingdom of Heaven is definitely on my 2011 list  8) - as is Cthulhu...

And that vixen [minx?] is lovely, eh?  :-*

sixsideddice

Yep - Kingdom of Heaven is definitely on my 2011 list   - as is Cthulhu...

..... do you mean the Black & White imitation 20`s style film Call of Cthulhu? I have a copy and can do you a copy if you like Nik, likewise with Kingdom of Heaven?

nikharwood

Quote from: sixsideddice on 01 December 2010, 01:18:51 PM
..... do you mean the Black & White imitation 20`s style film Call of Cthulhu? I have a copy and can do you a copy if you like Nik, likewise with Kingdom of Heaven?

Don't know - wasn't aware of a Cthulhu film [it's been a while since I gamed it & so it's a bit off my radar to be honest] - what's it called? that way I can get it legally  ;) :)

And I got K of H when it came out so I'm good there too...not convinced that  :ar! activity should be here  :-S

sixsideddice

LOL  no no Nik, I meant I can GET you a copy, I have a friend works in the business and I could have got you a copy at cost  :D

nikharwood

Aha - mea culpa  ;D

In which case, PM me re the Cthulhu one  :)

sixsideddice

Aha - mea culpa 

In which case, PM me re the Cthulhu one 

No worries Nik, my fault entirely, I wasn`t very  clear... Illius me paenitet, dux

I`ll get back to you on it  :)

Last Hussar

I'll have the one in stripy socks, and the one in green please.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Maenoferren

Tricky one this year, I am on paternity so I have lost a weeks worth of wges, and went overdrawn this month due to being away South, we are owed hods of dosh, but that wont come until the end of December at the earliest.... so bang goes my Firefly idea at least until the new year  :'( :'( :'(
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

The_Shootist

I have an order in with SWMBO for some French 10mm armour.

Also ordered the green one for xmas.

exilesjjb

last year I bought my own stuff and gave it to the wife and daughter :), but will try the list again this year, just a load of books as my lead mountain is big enough as it is  ;D. Asked for the Sudan war book the perrys do, so fingers crossed
Peace
James Brewerton (Exiles Painting)

Leon

Quote from: sixsideddice on 30 November 2010, 12:21:48 PM
Wouldn`t mind that vixen in the green outfit in my Christmas stocking  :-*

Quote from: capthugeca on 30 November 2010, 03:01:34 PM
So I say let's have more green Santas, especially when they look like her!

Quote from: Last Hussar on 02 December 2010, 07:25:41 PM
I'll have the one in stripy socks, and the one in green please.

Quote from: The_Shootist on 02 December 2010, 08:18:30 PM
Also ordered the green one for xmas.

Geez, she's gonna be knackered by New Year...

:D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sixsideddice

NTM

Quote from: nikharwood on 29 November 2010, 10:17:30 PM

My own wishlist [all Pendraken  8)]

Should have left it at that!

Me just a reasonable amount of time to make a dent in the leadpile