West Virginia vs. Texas

Started by Terry37, 03 November 2018, 11:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

After a truly exciting and sitting on the edge of your seat game, I bow to the win by West Virginia, and will shortly be posting my accolades about West Virginia University. Bill, I tip my hat - win or lose that was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen!

West Virginia 42
Texas 41

Hook'em Horns

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

Thanks, Terry.
I am still shaking!

Truly heroic effort on both sides and one of the most exciting games ever.

It was so close that I believe the bet is fulled. At 0.01 it could still have gone either way.

Country roads take me home!

Sleep with clean hands ...

FierceKitty

Y'all will never lick them dam' Yankees if you fight each other!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 November 2018, 01:12:53 AM
Y'all will never lick them dam' Yankees if you fight each other!

We are sort of quasi-Yankees and Texas, of course, is it's own thing  :)

The strangest occurance was a Texas player getting his shoe caught in a West Virginia player's face guard causing an official timeout:
https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/video/1361220163885

Terry37

Thanks Bill, but a bet is a bet, so here's my feeble attempt at WVU recognition.

West Virginia University was founded February 7, 1867 as an agriculture college and the first president was a Methodist minister from Scotland  - the Rev, Alexander Martin. The first campus building was constructed in 1870.

Their first football team was formed in 1891 and they are called the mountaineers. Their first Mountaineer mascot was  Boyd "Slim" Arnold.

WVU's football team was ranked 13th going into today's game, while UT was ranked  17. The game was played in Austin at Longhorn Stadium. The game went down to one second with a final attempt by Texas from their 40 yard line which was blocked by WVU defense to end the game 42 to 41. Will Grier, the WVU quarterback, was named he Player of the game, and lead a superb offensive drive capping it off with a 2 point conversion in the last drive to win the game.

I tip my hat to WVU and my friend Bill.

Terry
UT Grad class of 69

PS - I am, a born and raised Yankee!
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

Thanks, Terry!

An honorable conclusion to our bet. :)

Ace of Spades

Don't get me started on West-Virginia; West-Virginians are Yankees plain and simple; they stabbed the Old Dominion State in the back during it's hour of need so they could side with the Yankees after all. Now man up and live up to the title!  ;)
I won't even let the kids listen to 'Country Roads' when I'm driving... 

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

;D

If there was justice in the world then the "Old Dominion" would be called East Virginia and we would be Virginia, having born true faith and allegiance to the Republic. For the casual reader it is probably obvious that there is no love lost between our respective states.  ;)

Montani Semper Liberi

Bill

toxicpixie

Well done Bill, show 'em who's the boss!

Wait, isn't he from Ew Jersey?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

My wife is a Jersey girl so I am always temperate in my remarks regarding the Garden State.
Incidently we settled our last boundary dispute with East Virginia in 1997 (but it's possibe that for some of the folks in the high Alleghenies the settlement is only theoretical).

FierceKitty

The Joysey accents have a place in my heart. What they do to innocent vowels...!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

Can't go far wrong with Jersey, it produced Springsteen AND bon Jovi :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

...AND Snooki!

In excess of fifty years here and my wife still says Cawh-fee and Dawhg

toxicpixie

My experience of Snookie is limited to South Park, fortunately.

But I'd at least maim for a cawh-fee.